movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
371 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

This website is a great place of commercial-free advice and information.
Frank in Columbia, MD

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

soil conditions and draining to the footers

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Marc's Forum Posts: 107
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marc in Defuniak Springs, FL on 12/16/2005

I am interested in the panel's thoughts on waterproofing ICF on walk in basement walls. I have researched and thought and finally purchased a brush on for my ICF. MY question is about soil conditions and how they effect the flow of water from the hilltop to the footers.

I have different soils on my lot and on the pressure side there is mostly clay. On the non pressure side there is sand. I am worried about the clay holding the water and not letting it flow to my drains. Should I use rocks somewhere in the backfill to allow the water a better way to drain down to the footer drain?

I plan on using the brush on and before backfill using foam panels for cover protection. If rocks are the answer where in the backfill process should they be used? 1/2 way down all the way down?

All of this is assuming the rainy days let me set my walls and pour....(picture is water prevention for the footers till the contractor gets here on Monday)

Thanks

M

Reply...

James's Forum Posts: 72

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James in Broadview Heights, OH on 12/20/2005

It is common in Northern climates to backfill the "hole" with gravel, which will cushion the expansive /contractive effects of clay, and allow drainage to the footers (and drain tile/pipe). Cover the drain tile with fabric designed for that purpose, and suspend it with a foot of gravel around the sides and bottom, and then backfill up to grade. Design your mulch beds to push water away from the walls, and plant specimens that need little water. Visit tremco.com, their "warm n dri" system is very popular. Basically an asphalt-based sealer product that also uses the "pink board" from Owens Corning to insulate/protect the sealant. The insulation board is applied while the sealer is still tacky. Good luck!
Reply...

Marc's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marc in Fwb, FL on 12/20/2005

Thanks James, I will let you know how it goes. I am using a water-based roll on waterproofing (ICF) and using the foam board from Lowe's to protect from damage while backfilling. I have a 4" footer drain (socked) that I am flowing off the property and have the roof gutter drains tied into them. Today I dug my back property (end of the flow) hole (4x4x5') and filled it with large rocks, ran the 4" from the house to the (end hole) and covered trench. When I posed the question my worries were that the clay would impede the flow of water to the 4" footer drain, and I wondered if the rocks should be placed midway (wall) of the footer drain to help with the flow, or am I over thinking this? Picture is the 4x4x5 hole with smaller rock around the border. The trench drain goes up the hill where I have a "t" to tie into the footer drains. Also tied into this 4" drain is a French drain above the septic to keep the water from affecting the leach field (inspector required).
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James in Broadview Heights, OH on 12/21/2005

Marc, I THINK that footer drains (especially that are not to daylight) are best kept separate from the roof gutter drains. If there is a backup of the drain/field/well system, the EXTENSIVE water coming off a roof in Florida could push water back to the foundation.
Reply...

Marc's Forum Posts: 107
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marc in Defuniak Springs, FL on 12/22/2005

James

I had planned on using gutter screens; but you are right, that is a lot of water to take the chance. Hard pipe is probably the better choice for the gutter runoff too, don't you think? 4" should be enough with access for clean out since I have a long way to take it off the lot, huh?  Do you have any more thoughts on this?

Greatly appreciated,

M

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James in Broadview Heights, OH on 12/22/2005

As long as the rain gutter runoff/ is downhill from the foundation I would not think that it has to go entirely "off the lot". Maybe to a lower spot or swale that you can plant trees/shrubs that need heavy watering to grow (like willows), or a rock garden type of setup. It would be nice to be able to use the water for the lawn/garden.

4" pipe should be enough. Just keep the system sloped enough to carry it away.

It is also preferable to see if everything is working properly... before it's too late!

Reply...

Ambryn's Forum Posts: 34

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ambryn in Santa Cruz, CA on 12/28/2005

Here is the style of French drain they do in our area.  http://www.anaheim.net/depts_servc/pub_works/des/pdf_files/334_a.PDF  We call it a "burrito" drain because you wrap the drain rock in geotextile drain fabric (like Mirafi 140n); the drain rock goes from the bottom to within 1" of the finish grade. 4" pipe should be fine. I agree with James, keep the two pipes separate, and use solid pipe for the gutters so you don't put water where you don't want it. You can use sheets of plywood to keep backfill dirt separate from the drain rock, cut a 6" x 6" hole at one end of the plywood so the backhoe can pull the plywood out with a chain.

Or use a system like this--- Mirafi HC drain http://www.mirafi.com/products/product_hcdrain_index2.html

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.