movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I've got lots of questions but I'll spend a few days browsing the site before I ask. GREAT SITE!
Ryan in San Luis Obispo, CA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

power pole with meter

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Carpenter's Forum Posts: 21

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Carpenter on 1/7/2004

I am building my house in the country. There is power at the street. Most of the neighbors have their meters on a pole near the house. I suppose I can and will ask them who set their "meter pole", but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask here. Can anyone tell me who they had set their power pole(s) with or with out the meter?
Reply...

2004 Merit Award Winner

Dorthy's Forum Posts: 33

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dorthy in Muskegon, MI on 1/8/2004

We also are building in the country, approximately 1200 feet off the road. The electric company actually set 3 power poles through the property to reach the house and ran the electrical wire from the road to them. Our electrician then actually had to pick up the meter from the electric company and install it. Once it was installed the electric company came back out and ran the wire underground from the pole to the meter (our meter is set on the side of our house). We had to pay the electrical company to set the poles and run the wire from the road but only because we are so far off the road-the first 500 feet was free. Then we had to pay the electrician to set the meter. When we were just in the planning stages I called the electric company in our area and they answered all of my questions regarding it so if I were you I would start there. Good luck.
Reply...

David's Forum Posts: 22

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Escondido, CA on 4/7/2004

We are going through a lengthy (and expensive) process of bringing power onto the property (three poles) from the nearest access. Besides having to get an easement from adjoining property owners, we will be required to extend the underground conduit to the pole and provide the meter loop. Burial depth is required to be 24" min. I have acquaintances who have had to install solar with generator or batteries because the cost of bringing in power (in one case $80,000) was too prohibitive. We are doing it because the California rebate from installing solar while connected to the grid will pay for the power install.
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Escondido, CA on 9/17/2004

An update: None of my neighbors on any side are going to extend an easment for power. The only other hope I had was on the South side that a large Corporation owns (Continental Homes), but that property is in escrow and I can't get them to respond. So, I am planning to stay off-grid with Solar, batteries, and a Propane generator. Not including the Solar rebate from the State of California, the off-grid costs will be the same as the costs to bring in power from the grid.
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Escondido, CA on 9/17/2004

Ken, the added cost to go under ground up to your house might be worth the esthetics of not having to look at power poles on your place.
Reply...

David's Forum Posts: 13
Interview Answers: 101

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Lowell, AR on 8/29/2006

I ran across this post while looking for the expected cost of a meter loop.  I was surprised to see that you guys are incurring high electric service install costs.  My previous home the local electric company set three poles and charged me $200.  The home we are about to start building will require one pole and 30ft underground and it will be $45.  What kind of costs are there for this in other areas?

Reply...

Scott's Forum Posts: 31
Interview Answers: 6

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Scott in Wanatah, IN on 8/29/2006

The are bringing our power underground from poles at the street.  The distance is 1200' and it cost us $7400.  We opted for underground due to the fact if we went overhead, it's unsightly and if the poles ever need replaced or repaired, it is at our expense.  No thanks.  I am getting a big rebate for my Geothermal heat pump though.  They also trenched in my loop for me for free.  It was about 1200'.
Reply...

Michael Penn's Forum Posts: 81
Journal Entries: 55
Interview Answers: 58

Private Message

My Construction Website

Michael Penn's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael Penn in Dripping Springs, TX on 8/29/2006

David,

I'm very interested in considering PhotoVoltaic power to supplement grid power on my project to build this coming spring (in Texas).

How did your solar power project work out?  I'd really appreciate any info you could post about overall cost, and breakdown on the solar cells themselves, the other components, and labor to install.

Michael Penn Smith
pennsmith.blogspot.com

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.