movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Unfortunately I did not find your book in time for this house but we have it for the next one. It is a great book, full of useful information. Lots of it seems like common sense after you read it but I did not have the common sense to think of it before I read it.
Jedda in Brighton, ON

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

owner-builder time frame?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Kelly's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kelly in Oxford, MI on 7/28/2003

My husband and I are considering a owner-build next summer. We are planning on a 2200 sq. ft. 4 bed, 3.5 bath, with basement home. He currently holds a full-time job but plans to work on the house 20-25 hours a week. He also has 3 weeks vacation time he plans on using to build this home. How can we estimate how much time this will take us? He is thinking 2 years and it just seems a little short. He does have a very good background in handy-man work and connections with plumbers, electricians, and roofers. PLEASE HELP, CAN OUR MARRIAGE SURVIVE THIS PROJECT? Kelly
Reply...

Kelly's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kelly in Oxford, MI on 7/28/2003

Continued... I guess I should have clarified. He wants to actually BUILD this house HIMSELF. He only plans to hire someone for the foundation, heating and cooling, and Lord willing the drywall. Again, I was wondering about a way to estimate length of time and cost. Thanks so much.
Reply...

Editor

Mark's Forum Posts: 153
Interview Answers: 248

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mark in Provo, UT on 6/30/2004

Kelly: The old rule of thumb for a standard house was 1,600 work hours divided over a minimum of four qualified workers. I'm sure this varies all over the map. A recent book about self-builders contained more than ten examples with 8-10 years average to completion. The difference between an amateur and a working tradesman can be 10:1. The amateur takes ten days to do what the pro with the skills and tools does in one day. I would suggest investing a lot of time in planning and shopping, and reduce the number of self-worked trades to just a few high-yield ones. In many cases you save money by managing the process rather than building the entire thing yourself. You certainly save time and psychic wear and tear. Good luck, Mark
Reply...

2004 Merit Award Winner

Dorthy's Forum Posts: 33

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dorthy in Muskegon, MI on 7/1/2004

Hi- Just for an example: my husband, his brother and their friend did all the framing on our house. The friend is a framer in his regular job and been doing it for many years so he is very skilled. My husband and his brother not so skilled; they know how to measure and use tools. It took them about seven months to frame our house (2,200 square foot Cape Cod). This was every weekend and every night after work until dark. We had no idea it would take that long and if we had known we would have hired someone to do it. It would've taken a company maybe a month) Although we saved a little money--we did pay the friend for his time and labor--and when it was all said and done the time lost wasn't worth the money. So if you have a lot of time that's great he wants to do a lot of the work but if you're looking at moving in a reasonable amount of time--hire it out. Also because the house wasn't totally enclosed for the whole winter, we've had to sand the floor seams before laying the wood floors (pain in the neck!) Good luck, Dorthy
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 7/7/2004

This is an old thread that just got revived - I wonder how it went for them. One thing easy to overlook is your financing and insurance. Our Builder's Risk policy is for a period of one year, not pro-rated for more or less time (i.e.. if we get it done in 9 months we don't get a refund, but if it takes 13 months we have to renew the policy for an additional year). Also we are paying the bank monthly for interest on our construction draws. You have to balance the money you save doing it yourself vs. the time it takes, the opportunity costs (you will be doing something else related to the construction), and the money side of things tied to time such as construction loan interest. Once we looked at the whole picture, we started looking at ways to contract more out. Once we started getting proposals, we realized this was the right decision for us. As a rule of thumb, the construction project will be half materials, half labor for installation, so figure about how much your house would cost if you were buying it from a builder, take half and that will be the labor costs.
Reply...

2004 Merit Award Winner

Dorthy's Forum Posts: 33

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dorthy in Muskegon, MI on 7/7/2004

Yes we ran into an issue with the Construction insurance, the company we were with could not extend the construction insurance so we went with another company who has just opened a Homeowners policy for us. The bank hasn't had a problem extending the loan as long as they see progress being made, and oh, of course, we make our interest payments. We are just about ready to move in and its been almost a year. Like I said in an earlier posting if we had known how long the framing would take on our own we would've hired that out but other than that we wouldn't have changed anything. And we have saved a lot of money by contracting ourselves. I would tell anyone its worth the hassle but you really need to have a prepare and plan and be very organized.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.