movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

This site is unbelievably huge and filled with lots of great advice. I am glad I found it.
Dorothy in Tampa, FL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Countertops

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Angi's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Angi in Wexford, PA on 7/7/2004

Does anyone know of an outlet/discount store in the western PA area where I can find solid surface countertops?
Reply...

Barbara's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barbara in Elko, NV on 12/2/2004

Check out jerongmarble.com. They are in Hayward, CA and they ship all over the U.S. at reasonable prices. I recently went to their showroom and was amazed. Beautiful product at incredible prices! Their shipping is reasonable too, so it may be worth your while.
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 12/7/2004

Amerinite, Inc. manufactures a solid surface countertop (similar to Corian) called Amerinite. They are in Cookeville, TN, but shipping is quite reasonable using freight carriers.

They can sell you materials-only if you wish to DIY. However if you provide a template, they can also fabricate it at their shop and send you completed pieces. If the completed pieces are too large for shipping, they can fabricate them at their shop slightly oversize and then cut them apart so all you have to do is one or two microseams at your site. Even with them doing all the fabrication, I found their prices to be better than any installed price on solid surface material, including shipping. However I am going to try my hand at fabricating it myself (although I am going to start with something small such as a bathroom vanity) before I make the decision to have them fabricate it or to DIY.

Reply...

Tia's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tia in Midvale, UT on 12/13/2004

Ken,

We are considering the DIY Amerinite, but we want to talk to someone who has seamed it themselves. Please let us know how it goes for you. Good luck!

Reply...

Contributing Editor

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 12/13/2004

I will close the loop on information sharing, but this is still several months off for me so please be patient.
Reply...

2005 Merit Award Winner

Kevin's Forum Posts: 51

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kevin in West Chester, OH on 2/8/2005

Kenneth,

How much does the Amerinite cost per square foot? And is the price for matte, semigloss, or high gloss?

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply...

Contributing Editor

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 2/9/2005

Gayla talked to them just yesterday so we could see what type of lead time we would need on the order. The color we are looking at is $469 for a 144"x30" sheet (they will sell partial sheets at a premium; you can also get 144x36 sheets). They can fit four sheets/pallet (~900 lbs. total pallet weight) for a shipping charge of $250/pallet (I recommend you order full pallets to save on shipping). We need full pallets, so our s.f. price delivered is about $17.71. We will probably have a fair bit of waste here just from cuts, etc. but you can't really beat the price.
Reply...

2005 Merit Award Winner

Kevin's Forum Posts: 51

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kevin in West Chester, OH on 3/9/2005

Ken,

Have you gotten to the point to attempt to fabricate the Amerinite product yourself?  I have been looking around some at countertops, and this still looks to be a good deal.

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply...

Contributing Editor

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 3/9/2005

I am just now getting ready to order it. I really think it is a doable project for a detail-oriented DIY. My cabinetmaker suggested that solid surface can break near the cutout (e.g. sinks and cooktops) so be very careful. I think in these areas I will build up and glue several layers of solid surface to give them much more substance when I use the router. I have also talked to Amerinite, and they will pre-mount the sinks and ship them that way if you like, for a cost of course.

I found an article in handymagazine.com (January/February, 2004) that talks about DIY solid surface.

Like you, I would feel better not being the first person I know to take this leap, it is mighty expensive stuff to mess up. But then there have been a lot of things I have learned since starting this project, and one of which is if I read the instructions, ask questions, use the right tools, and take my time I can achieve results as good as most professionals (although not nearly as quickly).

Reply...

Contributing Editor

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 4/12/2005

My order went in yesterday. They said it will take four weeks for me to get the materials. The color I ordered is not a "stock" color, so they have to order the base for it. The base is from Safas Corp., the color is Galaxy Nury Bedrock 221. I am enclosing a sample picture just so I can figure out how this is done.

I went ahead and will have the sinks mounted in the slabs - they said this is fairly easy if you have the right clamps, but since I don't have any clamps yet, I figure it is just as easy to pay them a nominal fee to do this for me. Sinks is plural as I am using this as bath vanities as well as kitchen. To address the cooktop cutout issue, my cabinetmaker suggested going to a deeper depth at this location. We have an L-shaped island, with the cooktop at the corner. We will transition this at the L-shape using two 45-degree angles. At this point the countertop will go from a standard depth to 28"-30" of depth to provide some more "meat" for the cooktop cutout.

I will report back once the material is delivered.

Reply...

Anneliese's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Anneliese in Hickory, NC on 1/25/2006

How did you like the Amerinite? I also called and talked with them, and they were very helpful to me.

I called to order my countertops last week and they are not currently in business at their plant in Cookeville, Tennesseee. Do you know if someone bought them out or where I can still buy the Amerinite?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Reply...

Contributing Editor

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 1/26/2006

They closed down and filed for bankruptcy. I don't know if anyone has taken over their operation.
Reply...

Andrew's Forum Posts: 55

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Andrew in Corpus Christi, TX on 1/26/2006

Here is an attachment that I scanned in from Solid Surface Magazine. I got a free subscription to this and other building trade pubs at TradePub.com.These trade pubs are an excellent resource for companies that market primarily to dealers and installers. Many are more than happy to sell direct.

The attachment is for a solid surface product called Dovae by Chemcore Industries. It looks like a pretty good product and they ship for free when you purchase more than two sheets. They also sell sinks and solid surface supplies as well.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.