NorthPoleHome North Pole, AK
38,530 Visits | 40 Posts | 177 Pix | 0 Videos
TheHoskensProject Dome-ville, FL
66,737 Visits | 176 Posts | 522 Pix | 4 Videos
DCS
442 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

I bought the book, all of the Special Reports, all the Construction Bargain Strategies books and several other MP3 & DVD files. Mark's book and related information IS THE BEST MATERIAL AVAILABLE! If you are just getting started, you can't lose buying these materials.
Jack in Martinsburg, WV

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Salvage Materials before Demolition of House

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Sonja's Forum Posts: 17

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sonja in Altadena, CA on 6/29/2004

We are going to build a new house on the location where we live now. This means we are going to demo the house to the dirt, or hopefully leave one wall standing. Does any one have experience with this situation? I have a large succulent garden, oak hardwood floors, two-year-old copper piping throughout the house, kitchen cabinets that are still in decent condition, full-length-mirror sliding closet doors, and new garage door, to name a few items. Are there salvage companies that will come to your house before the demo and strip off some of these useful items for a good price?
Reply...

Mike's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mike in Hopkinton, MA on 10/2/2004

I've been involved in a few house demos. In my experience, I have just let friends know that this house is coming down, if there's anything they may want, have at it. Once word gets around, it doesn't take long for things to go. Sometimes I get offers for different items and make a few bucks, but mostly it's take it now or get out of the way. Good luck with your project.
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 10/2/2004

I would call Habitat for Humanity or other charity organizations. I pasted the next two paragraphs directly from the local chapter (restorekc.org):

Habitat ReStore is also proud to offer Deconstruction Services. Deconstruction is the process of hand dismantling in order to salvage useable portions of rooms or buildings. These items are then diverted to Habitat ReStore and added to our inventory. Whether a simple remodel is planned or a complete demolition is necessary, our crew can do the job. When you use Deconstruction Services as an alternative to traditional "wrecking ball" demolition, the salvaged building materials recovered are a tax-deductible donation to Habitat ReStore.

The best part about it is the cost, it pays back double. Not only are you not paying for demolition of your structure, you get a tax donation for letting them have the materials. I have been to the resale store for materials, they salvage almost everything. Obviously you are still left with minor demolition such as concrete basement and footings, slabs, etc.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sonja in Altadena, CA on 10/4/2004

Ken,

Thank you so much for the information, I will look into the website you have provided and see if I can contact Habitat ReStore here in Southern California. This is a wonderful resource. Thanks again, I will post any information found.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sonja in Altadena, CA on 10/4/2004

Mike, that is a great idea, thanks. When we get ready to do the demo, I will do that; perhaps also put an ad in the local newspaper, along with a yard sale.
Reply...

Netie's Forum Posts: 84
Interview Answers: 63

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Netie in Salt Lake City, UT on 10/5/2004

Just a quick note, call your insurance agent when you demo the old place. With the insurance company that I worked for in L.A., if you left even ONE wall standing, you only got a renovated discount. It was still calculated with the original year built, then an 8% discount. If it all goes but the foundation, they gave a new house discount - that was 25%! Big difference when the average premium in the So.Cal. area is $900 a year for the basic.
Reply...

Jeffery's Forum Posts: 1
Interview Answers: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeffery in Joliet, IL on 11/9/2004

There is a company in my area (Chicago) that has a great salvage business. They are called Murco. They have auctions for houses being demoed. You can find fantastic items. They have a website, murco.net. You can use murcome as user I.D and murco as password to see what auctions are coming up and the wares available.

Reply...

Gregory's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Gregory in Pasadena, CA on 3/18/2010

I moved into my late mom's place in Pasadena late in 2009, and had to have the house stripped down to the last wall. Was advised to auction out the garage doors and hardwood flooring that were still intact.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.