NorthPoleHome North Pole, AK
38,639 Visits | 40 Posts | 177 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
James in Beaumont, TX0.002
Timmy Weeks0.001
Steve0.002

It has been a very rewarding project. I think it's something we should encourage more of...
Justin in St. Petersburg, FL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

buycabinets.com - Anyone used them?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Craig's Forum Posts: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Craig in Chapel Hill, NC on 6/4/2004

Has anyone used buycabinets.com for their kitchen/bath cabinetry? I would be interested in hearing your experienced with the company. Also, did they assist with the design/layout to ensure you had all the required filler pieces, cabinets were sized correctly for the floor plan, etc? Thanks in advance.
Reply...

Kirsten's Forum Posts: 37

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kirsten in Atascadero, CA on 8/24/2004

We used buycabinets.com for our cabinets. We were very pleased with the pricing and mostly pleased with the service. We had a little trouble with delivery because we live in a rural area and they did not have regular trucks coming our way. I had everything planned and did not use their design service, but they were very helpful. They helped correct any problems caused by shipping or manufacturing. Overall I was pleased with both their service and their product. We bought kitchencraft because the pricing for cherry was so good.

Kirsten

Reply...

P's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 44

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By P in North, FL on 7/31/2006

I know this is an old thread... :)

How does the pricing at BuyCabinets.com compare to that of Lowe's and Home Depot?

Thanks

Reply...

Kirsten's Forum Posts: 37

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kirsten in Atascadero, CA on 7/31/2006

I don't know. I tried to compare prices with Home Depot (no Lowe's nearby) but they would not price more than 6 cabinets for me without paying the $250 design fee so I skipped them. My cousin got an estimate from Home Depot and they came in twice as expensive as the "rough estimate." He had to fight with the manager to get his design fee back.

Kirsten

Reply...

Craig's Forum Posts: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Craig in Chapel Hill, NC on 8/1/2006

I used buycabinets.com and had no problems with them.  I had original pricing for $50K+ for Kitchencraft cabinets for my kitchen (same ones I got from BuyCabinets) and by using BuyCabinets I was able to get the entire house (kitchen, butler's pantry, three bathrooms) for just under $30K.

I did pay $400 for the local company to do the cabinet designs which made life a lot easier to be able to order and install the cabinets.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By P in North, FL on 8/1/2006

Thanks for the info everyone.

Craig,

That is a heck of a difference in pricing. Good job.

Reply...

Phillip's Forum Posts: 77

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Tampa, FL on 8/1/2006

Phil:

Coincidentally, I sent in my kitchen plans to BuyCabinets.com earlier this week. Still waiting for a reply.

My best local bid for Kitchencraft was about $32K installed, with the top-of-the-line Integra cherry doors. We'll see where BuyCabinets comes in.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By P in North, FL on 8/1/2006

Please let me know how Buy Cabinet's bid comes out.

How big is your kitchen?

Ours is 30x15... you can see why I am hunting for a cabinet deal. :)

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Tampa, FL on 8/14/2006

OK - here's the skinny...

Our best bid for cabinets locally was $32K. When I say "best bid", it wasn't the cheapest, but it was definitely the company we felt was on the same page design-wise as we were. Our cheapest bid was around $26K.

Keep in mind that we have managed to pick the most expensive of everything - at least for bidding purposes. Doors through Kitchencraft cabinets are rated 1 to 6, 6 being most expensive. Adding to that, we have two finishes, a stained finish with a black glaze (glazing costs about 25% more), and also a millstone painted finish with a glaze (even more than a stain with a glaze!).

We're doing cherry cabinets for the stained units, maple for the painted.

The $32K bid we liked the best included labor to install, delivery, allowances for hardware and plumbing fixtures, and a few other details not included in the BuyCabinets quote. Bottom line, apples to apples, was that our local quote was about, best we can figure, $26K in cabinets (so $26K of the $32K was associated with buying the cabinets themselves).

Now I've been pretty upset in the weeks since we received those quotes, since I only budgeted $15K for our kitchen cabinets. A $17K overage is not exactly going to help my project. So, in a last-ditched effort to save money, I contacted Spencer with BuyCabinets.

BuyCabinets doesn't really do much but take the order - you have to figure out which cabinets you need from the manufacturer spec book (which they will provide for $20). In other words, you design your own kitchen. They hinted they will do it for you, but they make it clear it is not their business and I figure who knows better what we want than us!

To get a rough pricing estimate, I put together a list of cabinets that would more than fill our kitchen. I wanted to see if it was even worth talking to these guys, since obviously it would be more work on our end.

Our 1st floor floor plan is attached for your reference. Basically, the quote included:

• (1) 36" Sink base
  • (7) 36" single drawer/cabinet bases
  • (2) 33" triple drawer bases
  • (1) 33" corner base unit with lazy susan
  • (1) 18" single drawer/cabinet base
  • (3) 24" wall cabinets
  • (1) 24" corner wall cabinet with finished interior, glass door, glass shelves
  • (1) microwave/wall oven combo full cabinet (floor to ceiling)
  • (2) 33" wall cabinets
  • various toe kicks for above cabinets

The price did not include some finished ends we will need and other minor items. Perhaps some cabinets will be slightly different sizes, but we could certainly get close.

With delivery (which happens to be free this month on Kitchencraft, but otherwise would be $400-$500, he said), the high-end doors and finish we wanted, the total price was $12,515.18.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By P in North, FL on 8/14/2006

Thanks for the update. Excellent info.

I love your floorplan. Very nice.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Tampa, FL on 8/14/2006

Thanks!

I'll keep you posted on the process... let's hope it is as great as it sounds, although it rarely is.

Reply...

David's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Missoula, MT on 12/17/2006

So - we are REALLY interested to know how it went with the cabinets.

Thank you - David

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Tampa, FL on 12/17/2006

Just about to place my order - have to give $500 deposit to lock in 2006 pricing for 2007 delivery.

I won't be getting the cabinets until spring, so I'll let you know then. Pricing is excellent, and they are Kitchencraft cabinets, so it seems like a good deal all around!

Phillip

Reply...

beverly's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By beverly in upland, CA on 10/16/2008

Avoid BuyCabinets.com

Unless you don't care about function or design (like it's a rental or flip) you'll want to go elsewhere.

I had a terrible experience and found I only saved about 1% over same molding order I placed at Lowe's.

More important, an order placed at Lowe's or large cabinet dealership gives the option to return items including custom items. That's a great benefit!

Every remodel has changes and knowing you can make a return if needed is helpful.

The BuyCabinets.com design rep provided inaccurate information and specs on about two items but then said I should have checked each spec through the manufacturer.

Also, the rep made a simple error on the computer program at the last minute. He corrected it and made no comment to us. We had already reviewed all items on list so when the final change was made we reviewed it but did not catch that something that wasn't supposed to have changed had a slight difference in item number. That slight difference in the number is big in the cabinet. They admit they made the error but their answer (to everything) is that if you approved the item list too bad.

Not enough discount to make purchasing through BuyCabinets.com a good deal. Save yourself some grief, pay about 1% more and order where they want you to get the kitchen you want.

We spent approx $25,000 on quality Kraftmaid cabinets and feel sick about some of the issues we seem to have no recourse about.

The design rep was great at sales, but after he got the initial order placed, was unresponsive.

Night and day between their approach prior to placing order, and if any problems (other than manufacturers warranty). BuyCabinets.com makes a big deal about being part of their family -- wolves treat family better!

Reply...

Rose's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Rose in Lingleson, OR on 11/5/2008

BUYCABINETS.COM IS THE BEST!

I have used BuyCabinets.com multiple times and cannot say enough WONDERFUL things about the company. I totally disagree with the comments above and recommend BuyCabinets.com to everyone I know.

If a consumer is unclear about what they are buying, it is your responsibility to ask clarifying questions. It has been my experience that the staff at BuyCabinets.com is painstaking about answering consumer questions. BuyCabinets.com is AWESOME. I highly recommend them!

BuyCabinets.com cares about their customers and treats them as family. BuyCabinets has saved me money and in turn has helped my residential remodeling business grow. If you are looking into purchasing cabinets, do not buy your cabinetry without giving BuyCabinets.com an opportunity!

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By beverly in upland, CA on 11/22/2008

Hi Rose-

Are you the same Rose on the paid posting site that is out there?

Perhaps some have had good experiences, but we have had so many issues that we finally had to turn to the Better Business Bureau. We never expected to be in a situation like this; it's the worst experience we've ever had with a company.

Be savvy: there are alternative retailers out there that can come very close to the online price if you purchase during a sale -- which tend to come up often. Plus, if you purchase through other retailers you can return items and get a refund -- doesn't matter if it's a warranty issue or just leftover material not used. That's a great deal. Wish we had known before purchasing at BuyCabinets.com. We learned this later when purchasing additional items made by the same manufacturer at another authorized retailer: Lowe's. I'm not saying you won't have any issues at a Lowe's or other retailers -- I'm sure a lot depends on the sales designer but that's true at BuyCabinets.com too. Every remodel has its share of headaches but it's how the problems are addressed that count.

We are warning our family and friends to avoid BuyCabinets.com.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By beverly in upland, CA on 11/22/2008

In response to Rose's comments about knowing what you want, it's also critical that the sales/design rep provides accurate info and knows the product line.

Yes, a lot of info is available through the manufacturer but other errors can occur. Our experience is that even when the sales rep admits to making an alteration in error or identifies a simple item as one thing and it is actually another, do not expect help to set it right. If the manufacturer is not at fault do not expect BuyCabinets.com to help. That's when phone calls and emails don't get returned.

I've had absolutely no problem with issues that were covered by manufacturer's warranty. Our problems were not a case of changing our minds or not knowing what we ordered. Its a matter of requesting one thing, being told that is what the item number stands for and getting something else. We wouldn't be unhappy if they had offered us any help but instead the answer: it was on your approved list so (basically) too bad.

I can't help wondering where Rose works or why her comments sound like she's working for BuyCabinets.com. Her interpretation of my issues are not correct but very 'corporate'.

We don't have any affiliations to any cabinet or remodel-related companies -- we're just sharing our experience and saying BEWARE BuyCabinets.com!

Reply...

Martha's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Martha in Des Moines, IA on 12/16/2008

Rose sounds suspiciously like the Director of Marketing at Buycabinets, which laid off all of its employees on 12/12.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.