movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
370 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

The Owner-Builder Book has been our best written guide to-date, followed closely by friends & family who have gone through this experience.
Pat & Norman in Sewanee, TN

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Light Fixture Help

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

2004 Merit Award Winner

Dorthy's Forum Posts: 33

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dorthy in Muskegon, MI on 3/15/2004

This may sound like a silly problem, but I am having a hard time buying light fixtures for our home, and the reason is I'm not sure if they should all match. So anybody, help... should all the fixtures match, not only the light fixtures but door knobs/hinges as well as cabinet hardware? Or is it OK to mix silver and gold or bronze, black etc.. It's hard to picture the finished product when its not even drywalled yet, but I am trying to pick up fixtures when I see them on sale. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply...

Connie's Forum Posts: 46

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Connie in Syracuse, UT on 4/18/2004

Dorothy, I had the hardest time with lighting... My advice is to go through some model homes with the specific idea of paying attention to what they used. We ordered our doorknobs off the Web, with matching hooks, paper holders, towel rings and bars. Then I found a door shop that used the brand (Emtek) and got the hinges to match. We used the silver patina; it looks like grandma's old pewter. Then we matched our bath faucets.

I did not match the shower fixtures, because the cost was so much and no one is going to notice chrome in a shower. So my faucets are platinum from Kohler. Our kitchen faucet is Cuccina. Most lighting, bath, hinges, and doorknobs have colors close, but all call it differently. Decide where to start and take a sample with you. I bought my front door handle first and went from there. My lighting fixtures look like wrought iron, so the black and pewter complement each other.

We used clear seedy glass with all of the fixtures. The "family" of lights we used did not have bath bars, so we winged it on that one. The glass is the same and the style is old fashioned, so far no one has asked or noticed why they aren't black. Decide what is the most important or what you like and go with it. I have seen brass hinges with chrome knobs on the door. I noticed it, but I doubt most people would.

Good luck,

Connie
Reply...

2004 Merit Award Winner

Dorthy's Forum Posts: 33

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dorthy in Muskegon, MI on 4/21/2004

Thanks for the tips. We've already purchased all of our doors, and they are prehung. I honestly do not know what color the hinges are; I will have to look. Our front door has an oval window in it with silver-like, design that's what started me wondering--the doorknob we purchased for it is silver (to match the window) and I don't have a problem buying all-silver doorknobs, but then started thinking about hinges, light fixtures etc...

I haven't picked out cabinet hardware yet, and may just wait until after the cabinets are installed to see. I will have to start paying close attention when I go into peoples' houses to try to see what others have. I've never noticed, so maybe it doesn't matter too much.

Dorthy
Reply...

2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner

Jeff's Forum Posts: 74
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 250

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Jeff's blog

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Hartland, WI on 4/5/2011

I agree with Connie. One of the best ways to get ideas is to look at local model homes, or decorated models from builders. We hired a local interior decorator who helped us make our selections--of plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, tile, paint colors, etc. Actually, she narrowed our choices from thousands to a few--and we think the result definitely competes with any of the local "Parade of Homes" homes. Of course, we're biased. 

Our light fixtures came from a mix of manufacturers, but all are well matched. We used a similar finish on fixtures in common areas (oil-rubbed bronze), and chose light fixtures that matched the door hardware. In bathrooms, we matched the light fixtures to the plumbing fixtures (brushed chrome). When you start looking at fixtures, you might be surprised at the amount of variety and at how much they can cost. We chose Kichler for most of ours. They look decent, but aren't ridiculously expensive. We did splurge on kitchen pendant lights from Hubbardton Forge. We sourced our fixtures from a local supplier, but you can get an idea of pricing and selection online from a site like Lamps Plus

Jeff

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.