movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I just love this website and have to limit how much time I surf here or I'll waste the whole day, haha!
Patty in Saratoga Springs, NY

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Stone-like siding

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

2004 Merit Award Winner

Dorthy's Forum Posts: 33

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dorthy in Muskegon, MI on 3/8/2004

We have a walk-out basement. Our foundation has poured walls except the wall that the slider is in and this is wood. We are looking for some siding type panels that look like fieldstone to put there but are unsure where we can find them. If anyone knows where we can find this type of product I sure would appreciate any info. Thanks, Dorthy
Reply...

John's Forum Posts: 29
Interview Answers: 109

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Port Republic, MD on 3/9/2004

Fake rock they call it, and that is what we plan to use and install ourselves! A company by the name of "cultured stone" is on the web and they will send you all the nifty stuff they have. They are located in CA and have a great product. Let me know what prices they quote you on the stone.
Reply...

Marie's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marie in Rocklin, CA on 3/24/2004

Hi Dorthy, there are a couple of major players in "cultured stone". You can find the stone at most of your local rock/stone suppliers. They usually will carry all or one of the following brands: Try doing a search on the web for "cultured stone" and also look in your Yellow Pages.

1) Owens Corning culturedstone.com (yes, the same great name in insulation, a wee bit more expensive, but one of the best)

2) El Dorado Stone eldoradostone.com

Reply...

Susan's Forum Posts: 16

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Susan in Midland, MI on 5/22/2004

Has anyone used the Cultured Stone brand "stone"? We love the looks of it but have heard that is very difficult to clean. For example, you can't use muriatic acid on it like you would with stone. We're thinking it would be okay to use it for trim on the outside of the house, but I'm hesitant to use it on the fireplace.

Also, does anyone have any installation advice regarding Cultured Stone? Any information anyone has on this would be great. Thanks so much.

Susan

Reply...

Kari's Forum Posts: 61
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kari in Colbert, WA on 10/18/2004

Two cool siding websites you might be interested in - we have researched both of these - since we have a Georgian style home to build but can't afford the mason: nichiha.com, and rocksiding.com. The former looks and feels just like brick - a local house here was done with it and you can't tell the difference from the other two houses next to it with real brick veneer. The other we are waiting for a sample. From the company in Canada. These two are a lot cheaper than masons and cultured stone.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 10/19/2004

I'll second the nichiha site. This company is Nichiha. They manufacture fiber cement siding, some of which looks like cultured stone. I really like their sandstone. As a side note, when I called them and explained I was a contractor (I applied for a GC license to support my O-B project), they FedExed me a contractor pack with samples of all of their products. I didn't realize that they would do this, but this box had to weigh close to 100 lbs. I can't imagine what it would cost to FedEx 100 lbs.

The downside to this is it isn't used in the Midwest. For me, the closest sites are Oklahoma City and Colorado, and I would really like to see the product installed before I made a decision. I worked with the closest distributor (Kansas) to try to get my house to be a demonstration house for their product, at a substantial discount. They were willing to do this, but unfortunately for me I really didn't like the distributor and didn't feel I wanted to do business with him at any cost... The product is wonderful, though. The other downside is that much of it is not stocked, so if you want this material you have to order pallet quantities, and this is beyond simple accents.

Also be careful at the corners as the Nichiha are panels, and the corners could show a seam in the rock. Nothing says fake rock and cheesy more that stone that doesn't look right at the corners. There are ways to address this, and some of the patterns have corner panels, just something to think about.

Reply...

Kari's Forum Posts: 61
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kari in Colbert, WA on 10/19/2004

Hi, The Nichiha product does look great in person - too bad you don't have a house with it close by. I will second the corner thing though - either just do a front veneer only or create some quoins with cultured stone or something. Limitations of Nichiha being that and you can't do soldier courses and keystones either, which give masonry a fancy look and break it up on large homes. Benefits are that is is $6 sq. ft. or less as opposed to $18 for masonry and it doens't look as fake (the brick anyway) as cultured stone can in large amounts.

It really bothers me when you see too many repeats in cultured stone and laminate flooring. I stared at the Nichiha product a long time and did multiple drive-bys and felt good about it's curb appeal. It won't look like a dated 60's mistake in too many years, I don't think. But we are doing a ledge for brick in the foundation anyway, in case we get a windfall and can swing the brick later in life. Since it is our forever home most probably.

Reply...

David's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Adams, MN on 10/20/2004

Hi. I am currently an O-B and am also a mason contractor. We are currently doing a three-story house out of cultured stone. I am from MN. We have many places to get the stone. It comes in a wide variety. It normally runs about 60 to 70 dollars a box which will do 12 sq. ft. The stuff is not cheap. The house we are doing will have over $30,000 in just stone. Rochester Brick of Rochester Minnesota does have brochures, so does Brock White Co. of Rochester. Hope this helps. Dave
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.