movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
352 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I am really glad I found this site... I have enjoyed reading through the posts.
Nes in Alabama

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Shaving Cabinetry Costs

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Jo-Lynn's Forum Posts: 29
Journal Entries: 34
Interview Answers: 113

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Jo-Lynn's blog

Login to Vote

By Jo-Lynn in Issaquah, WA on 2/2/2011

Hi,

I'm working with Patty Green at cliqstudios.com to get all of my cabinetry needs addressed -- I'm really pleased with the quality (samples were great!) and the professional design help! The fact that these come fully assembled, with soft close/dovetail-joined drawers standard is just icing on the proverbial cake.

One thing that is now clear in my mind is that specialty cabinets cost an inordinate amount of money. When I say specialty, I'm talking about drawer bases with peg organizers, roll-out waste cans, roll-out trays, tip-out sink fronts, etc. Cliqstudios doesn't have a ton of specialty innards and that left me scratching my head -- I love their quality and REALLY love their prices and construction methods. I didn't want to have to compromise my ideal kitchen over the froo-froo things that I covet.

Patty told me I could get the peg organizers online and found me a supplier: Rockler.com. I've used Rockler before -- they have just about everything to customize cabinetry and their prices are pretty good. But I searched some more and found the exact same peg organizer at homehardwareoutlet.com for $54.14, nearly $17 less than Rockler. I'm going to quote that low price at handlesets.com under their 110% price guarantee and that should also qualify for a 5.6% bigcrumbs.com rebate.

Then I started looking some more and I discovered that the factory-configured double 35 qt. wastebasket 18" cabinet is about $335, while the plain old 18" base cabinet is $163.  The DIY-installable innards are $94 (no shipping, no tax) from homehardwareoutlet.com. So if you install it yourself, you save about $60. Better than a poke in the eye... The same kind of thing happens with roll-out trays, drawer inserts and tilt-out drawer fronts. It all adds up, little by little. And if you're buying any of the "big name" (big box) or custom cabinets, the gap is probably way bigger, putting more money back in your pocket. 

If you can wield a screwdriver, you may want to think about installing the goodies into cabinets yourself rather than paying bigger bucks to have your cabinets outfitted at the factory.

Just my two cents (or $60!!) about ways to save a little on cabinets while still getting everything you want!

Have a great day,

Jo-Lynn

P.S. With cliqstudios' current 20% off sale (through 2/12 only, sadly) my whole house of all-wood maple fully-assembled cabinetry is going to be well under $9K shipped and no tax -- and that includes some of the froo-froo innards I wrote about above!

Reply...

Mary's Forum Posts: 101
Journal Entries: 60
Interview Answers: 15

Private Message

Image from Mary's blog

Login to Vote

By Mary in PA on 2/2/2011

Jo-Lynn, You go girl! Fantastic post with tons of useful info. I know I can just "rate" your post (which I did) but felt that you needed to know for sure that your tips are really helping others to get it together and save some bucks. I'm not to planning the kitchen yet, and truth be known it may be a year or two before we do a permanent kitchen ... but be sure I've saved the info you've shared here for when I get to that point.
Thanks!

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

By Jo-Lynn in Issaquah, WA on 2/7/2011

Thank you, Mary! I'm glad that my journey is helping even one person out there! I'm having a great time learning about all of these things that I kinda-sorta had ideas about but, turns out I really knew maybe 50% of what I needed. When you get ready to build, PM me and I'll gladly send over sources that ended up working best for me!
Reply...

Jennifer's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jennifer in San Mateo, CA on 3/30/2011

Hi Jo-Lynn,

Have you ordered and received your cabinets yet? Were they as good as you expected? While I was on hold for over 30 minutes waiting for Home Depot to answer their phone so I could schedule an appt, I stumbled on your post... Just curious to see how it went. 

GOOD JOB in finding ways to save!! And thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks,
Jennifer

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

By Jo-Lynn in Issaquah, WA on 4/5/2011

Hi Jennifer,

Don't you just HATE being on perpetual hold?? It's like the big box stores think they're the only place in town, I guess... but we've got 'em foxed! Ha!

I've ordered the cabinets, but they're not being built yet because I'm not ready to receive them! I'm loving that I was able to capture a 20% off sale and they're "holding" the full amount of the order on my credit line but they haven't charged me yet and won't until those cabinets ship out the door. Of course, I made sure I was absolutely confident of my choice because I would have been charged had I canceled after the order was placed -- but I'm not canceling. My construction manager says the sample was a high quality example and that he couldn't even come close to their prices at his wholesale access to a bunch of local suppliers, so I'm really happy about the economics of the cabinets!

The way their shipping process has been detailed to me, I have pretty high confidence that everything will be handled in such a way that I will get undamaged, ready to be installed cabinets within about 9 days of giving them the "green" to build them. And I know exactly who to call if there's any damage so that I'll have replacements in my hands within about a week -- not the unspecified timeline offered by the big box boys!

I would suggest that you call Patty Green, my consultant, and ask her to send you samples of cabinet styles/finishes you see at their website, cliqstudios.com. They'll send you two for free -- these are about 6x6 size with a good cross-section of the door for you to take a look at. If you want them to send a whole door, I think it's $25. I was happy enough with the samples that I didn't ask for the door! Patty will take your drawings and work you up a package, send it to you in PDF form via email and even set up desktop sharing sessions should you need to both see the layout while she makes changes on the fly! I absolutely LOVED going through the process with Patty! Oh, and I needed to make changes to some cabinet sizes, delete a cabinet and add one other just the other day (over a month since I placed my initial order) -- the policy is that those should have required a change order fee but Patty managed to figure out how to do it at no additional cost to me! I LOVE HER!

They don't have a ton of styles or finishes, but if they have something you like, you can't beat the prices. And Patty is a real gem! Here's her contact info (she's in Minnesota and sometimes has been known to work Saturdays too!):  800-576-7930, ext 121 and pgreen@cliqstudios.com. Tell her I sent you! :-)

Best,

Jo-Lynn

Reply...

Matt's Forum Posts: 6
Journal Entries: 6
Interview Answers: 62

Private Message

Image from Matt's blog

Login to Vote

By Matt in Minco, OK on 7/21/2011

I also looked into cliqstudios after reading this post. I had them send me two samples and when first taken from the box, they looked really great. But after closer inspection, they had a pretty cheap veneer on them that if I worked hard enough I could chip off with my fingernail around the edges. Then I took the plastic handle of a steak knife and bounced it over the door several times lightly and everywhere the knife hit, it left a pretty noticeable dent. Last but not least, when I pulled and pushed on the center piece of the door with a decent amount of effort, the center piece came loose from the frame.

But with all that said, I would still take these cabinets over what Lowe's or Home Depot has to offer. Cliqstudio does offer a better built frame than most online cabinets stores and they come already built, no RTA stuff.
Reply...

jumitop's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By jumitop on 6/29/2018

I want a kitchen, kitchen, kitchen.

Anybody got a advise? suggestion? recommendation?

Want it good for cooking all sort of things.

Want it beyond just cooking.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.