movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
352 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I have been reading this forum for several weeks - what a great resource!
Mike in Wilmar, MN

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Home Plan Software

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

K. R.'s Forum Posts: 5
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By K. R. in Plano, TX on 2/23/2010

Hi All,

I live in the Plano area and am looking to get started on my house soon. I was looking at the Chief Architect Home Designer Pro 8. Seems very promising, at least from the video on their website. I especially like the 3-D animation of the home plan and the ability to visualize the space. Seems very versatile and comprehensive.

I was wondering if anyone had used it and is it worth buying, costs about $500. Very interested in your thoughts.

Cheers
Raja

Reply...

David's Forum Posts: 3
Interview Answers: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Fort Worth, TX on 2/24/2010

I used Pro 8 to design my house plans and I am very impressed with all the abilities of the program. (Too many to list but they're on the website.) In fact, I'm finished with my plans; so I don't need it anymore. If you're looking for a deal, I'll sell you mine. PM me.

Reply...

Cammi's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Cammi in Austin, TX on 2/25/2010

I think using a program like this is a good way for you to design the spaces of your home.  But do keep in mind that a professional building designer or architect is necessary to make sure that you have met all code requirements.  You do not want to be in the middle of construction and have an inspector stop your project because of a code violation that will require tearing down, redesigning and rebuilding your home.  Codes are changing even more frequently today than ever before becaue of energy requirements, city ordinances and liability issues.  Using this program for design will still save you money because you will only have to pay for a professional to review the design, draft the construction documents and stamp your plans.
Reply...

Dennis's Forum Posts: 6
Interview Answers: 61

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dennis in Pikeville, TN on 2/25/2010

Check out the product by Better Homes & Gardens, I believe it is called Chief House Designer or something like that. I bought it for my wife and it is quite detailed and includes the 3D-generation function as well. It is nowhere near as expensive, and we have used it for all of our design studies for our new home in TN.

Dennis (soon to be in Tennessee!)

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By K. R. in Plano, TX on 2/26/2010

Hi David,

I PM'ed you earlier but you probably did not get it. Yes I'd be interested in Pro 8, please PM me with a price.

Thx
Raja

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By K. R. in Plano, TX on 2/26/2010

Hi Cammi,

I agree with you 100%. I was frustrated by the fact that my designer/architect could not translate my written requirements into plans. All I would get were 2D prints and there is no way I am going to build a house based on those prints. Not in this day in age! Heck, we can simulate everything now; people go directly from CAD to production for widgets, no prototyping anymore, but not a house? I can do that myself, but I am challenged for time; though I am going to find a way around that, maybe sleep less. I'll design everything to a point that I am happy and then go to an arch/designer to validate the model. I figure that if I need to make changes during construction I can easily update the drawings, simulate, generate the bill of materials etc. So hopefully the money is well spent.

Thx,
Raja

Reply...

David's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Austin, TX on 2/27/2010

When I wanted a 3D rendering of my house, I found places in the SketchUp forums for people posting gigs and for people offering services. A number of those offering services are architects or designers or assistants working on the side.

Perhaps you could find a similar thing for Chief Architect or whatever software you want to use.

For my next project, I will insist that the architect use a product capable of both 3D and BIM -- Building Information Modeling.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.