movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I spent hours and hours on the website and I know it saved me many thousands of dollars and just as many headaches. I'm extremely proud of my house and have already been asked to put it in a home show. I estimate that I have amassed at least $175,000 equity for my efforts.
Kris D. in Chillicothe MO

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Landmark Home & Land Co.

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Sharon's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sharon on 4/4/2003

Has anyone had any dealings with Landmark Home & Land Company in Indiana? They advertise that they will panelize any house plan you want and deliver it to your site with full financing for only $1,000 down. Is this legit?
Reply...

Gary's Forum Posts: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Gary in Friday Harbor, WA on 5/5/2003

Sharon, I called them last month and asked for references, but haven't heard back. Doesn't sound like anyone that's proud of what they've done.
Reply...

Steve's Forum Posts: 19

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 5/27/2003

My friend worked with Landmark and he had an excellent experience with them. I am currently working with them and plan on using their process as my friend's experience was very positive. He liked the ability to customize the plans and said support was excellent. He built a two story in Texas.

The reference issue is funny. He asked them for references and they supplied them, but only after he was serious towards purchasing the product. They are apparently concerned about their customers privacy. He did mention that he was put on their list of references. Potential customers did call at awkward times and therefore he asked to be taken off of the list. It wasn't that he didn't want to refer Landmark, but the volume of calls he was receiving was distracting. He was happy enough with the project, that I am now buying from them. I am building a chalet in Colorado.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sharon on 5/28/2003

Thank you for the positive input. Their sales manager has been in touch with my real estate agent, and it looks (for now) like we're going forward with this. I'll update my own experiences with Landmark on this thread as we go through the process.
Reply...

Preston's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Preston in Park City, UT on 6/6/2003

Steve, can you give me any more info on how your relationship with Landmark is coming along? I'm in the early stages of working with them, and they seem really professional, but I'd like to get an independent opinion of them.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 6/9/2003

Our relationship has been moving along nicely. We are working on the plans for my chalet and should have them finalized soon. Colorado is a tougher state to get permits in due to snow loads, winds, etc. so their engineer has been very helpful. I did not realize this, but the engineers are very important in this process. I just figured a plan is a plan, but that is not true. There are many structural issues when building a home which a typical person like me could not get taken care of. I also found out that they can get the engineer sealed plans so I should be ready to submit for permits after we close on the construction loan. My local lumber yard could not do this. I am working my way through the budget process. They have brought up some issues which I would have never thought of. I am excited about the process and work with them closely. I am actually having fun, although they have told me that the building process is a lot of work. As far as the overall relationship, I think it is good, they are busy but always find time and make an effort to help me.
Reply...

Jacklyn's Forum Posts: 15

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jacklyn in Hillsdale, MI on 8/15/2003

I am going to contact Landmark Home and land company soon and I am wondering if you are able to finish your houseplan with them and how did they charge you for it.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jacklyn in Hillsdale, MI on 8/15/2003

Sharon,

How is your relationship with Landmark going?
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sharon on 8/17/2003

I'm not sure why, but they simply stopped communicating about 2 months ago. I've not heard from them since. Nothing was ever done, no money was exchanged. I'm looking elsewhere.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jacklyn in Hillsdale, MI on 8/20/2003

Steve, I have not heard from you. I was contacted by one of their sales rep and I was informed that I need to pay the $600 before drafting begins. Did this happen to you?
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 8/27/2003

I did the plans with them and we are rolling along. The plans cost $600. I have closed on my loan and am now working on getting the permits. Landmark's engineers are doing a lot of work to get the proper paperwork together. I didn't realize the effort that was required to get proper plans together. They should be done quickly. I am not sure what Michigan requires, but I am sure that Landmark can handle it. If they can deal with Colorado I am sure they can work anywhere else. Sorry it took so long for me to respond to your question, but I have been really busy working with Landmark to keep my project moving.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 8/27/2003

Yes, I did pay the $600 up front. They only do custom plans and that is a great value for the work they are doing. They helped me tremendously. Without the plans it is really hard to proceed with the project. I tried to figure out a less expensive way and I couldn't get it done. The $600 is cheap for what they do. They take the $600 of the panel cost when you purchase so they are really free in the long run. Even if you go with standard plans from a plan service you will pay that much or more and they will still need to be revised. The plans from plan service also may not be engineered for your part of the country. They may not have had an engineer review them either. Landmark is doing a lot of work for the $600. I think it was well worth it. I believe it saved me a lot of money in the long run. Their custom plans also allowed me to budget the project better. I have a friend that is interested in building a home himself. I mentioned Landmark to him. Now that I am building a home and going through the process, I realize all the naive assumptions I made at the beginning are completely wrong. It is not the cost of the plans, but the accuracy of the plans to your project.
Reply...

Denise's Forum Posts: 30

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Denise in Elk Grove, CA on 10/8/2003

Hey Steve and anybody else who's going the panelized route,

How's your project going? My husband and I are very interested in possibly doing panelized. Did you get to physically look at some of Landmarks homes and do they look like regular stick frame homes? If you don't mind me asking do you feel you will save money or is it just the time savings that you are looking at. I appreciate any info you can give.

Thanks,

Denise
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 10/10/2003

The project is coming along nicely. I didn't look at any homes prior to purchasing. I thought Landmark's customer service was the most important thing. Anyone can sell you wood, but who can help you through the process was most important to me. By the way the quality of my home package is excellent.

We are in the finishing stages of the framing and everything went together well. I am really happy with Landmark. I ran into a lot of issues during this process and they really helped me out a lot.

As far as saving money, I looked at the appraisal. My equity position is huge. I think I am also getting a superior finished product compared to what a typical contractor would supply me. The panelization has saved time, which is money, especially when you consider the weather situations we have been put through. The savings will also be in the overall budget as the house will be done quicker. I think it is an excellent value and I am learning a lot. There is also a financial savings because the quality of framing materials and support during the building process would have cost me something elsewhere. Their engineers have been extremely helpful. Almost an on call assistant. Nice people.

Gotta get back to work... pound some more nails..

Reply...

True's Forum Posts: 13

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By True in Milwaukee, WI on 11/10/2003

Hi Steve,

My name is True and I'm in Milwaukee, WI. How is your project coming along? Where's the location of Landmark? I'm currently working with Mike Tuma and am wondering if the company I'm working with is the same?

Thanks,

True
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 11/19/2003

It is the same company. I mainly worked with Steve. Mike is his brother.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 11/19/2003

I forgot to respond to you question on how the project is moving along. It is coming along nicely. Working on some final interior details. Should be done in a couple of months. Landmark is located in NW Indiana but they have a few plans across the country.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By True in Milwaukee, WI on 11/19/2003

Thanks for the input. I was worry because I've seen Landmarks office and it made me uncomfortable. I just got my loan package and I'm not sure if it's competitive or not...construction IR=7.84%, the origination fee is 1% which comes to about $2,200 for a 220,000 loan amount. This is my first time, and any input from you will be appreciated.

Thank You,

True
Reply...

B's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By B on 11/21/2003

Be careful. We are dealing with Landmark right now and at the beginning the customer service was very impressive. However, once the bank loan was in...they seemed to drop off the face of the Earth. They promise delivery dates and do not deliver. In addition, incorrect products are delivered. Our recent delivery of materials yielded another unpleasant surprise... trusses that are too short and not plum.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By True in Milwaukee, WI on 11/24/2003

B, Where are you building? Did they give references at all? It seems they're either reluctant or don't have any except for 1 in Michigan. Let me know your progress, I'm still stalling on my loan. Any info will be greatly appreciative. How's your project coming along? Thank You -True
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 11/25/2003

I am currently working with Landmark and am having an excellent experience. I find this story hard to believe. I have contacted Steve at Landmark and let him know of these postings. They have taken care of every concern I have had without incident.
Reply...

Brad's Forum Posts: 20

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Brad in MI on 11/25/2003

I am working with Landmark now. Just got delivery of the panel package and it went up with out a hitch. Weather caused delays but they worked with me on delivery schedule.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

Took delivery of my Landmark panel package a few weeks ago. 1000 program is working out nicely. Panel package went together well.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

Took delivery of my house a few weeks ago. Everything went well.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

That is a good interest rate. Other places do 10% or more for owner-builders.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

I find this hard to believe. I am a friend of Steve in Colorado who is also building with Landmark and both of us would work with them again. These guys broke their butts for us.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By True in Milwaukee, WI on 11/25/2003

Thanks for the input. I'm almost done with changes on the 1st set of construction plans. -True
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By True in Milwaukee, WI on 11/26/2003

What's the square footage of your house? Thanks -True
Reply...

Editor

Jeff's Forum Posts: 149
Interview Answers: 212

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 12/1/2003

10% is quite high, particularly in these days of non-existant interest rates. Three years ago (when the rates were not as good) I got 7.25%. If someone is asking 10%, don't sign anything and start looking around.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jacklyn in Hillsdale, MI on 12/2/2003

True,

Did you have Landmark home and co-design your house or at least drew the blueprint?
Reply...

Melissa's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Melissa in Vancouver, WA on 12/2/2003

Greetings Everyone- You all sound so experienced- how many of you are building for your first time? My hubby & I are just starting the process for the first time and have had contact with Landmark several times via emial & phone. So far we have been impressed. I was curious if any of you had been given initial estimates by Landmark on sqft price and if it was close to what it actually was? We will be building in Washington State- any of you there?
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Brad in MI on 12/3/2003

Square footage is about 2,600 or so.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Brad in MI on 12/3/2003

The price of my package was very close to their initial estimates for building the house. Many factors can affect this, as they taught me.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By True in Milwaukee, WI on 12/4/2003

Jacklyn, I sent to Landmark a floor plan from a magazine that I liked and had Landmark modified it. I just sent in the modification of Landmark's 1st drawing. -True
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By True in Milwaukee, WI on 12/13/2003

Brad/Steve, What came with the panel package from Landmark? Do I need to supply the sheathing for the roof and the subfloor?? Thanks -True
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 12/16/2003

Pretty much the whole wood structure was included. That does include the sheathing. Better than what I could buy locally.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jacklyn in Hillsdale, MI on 12/20/2003

They just supply the shell don't they? Do we have to provide the windows, plumbing, electrica, etc? I am working on other panelized homes and some of them provide more materials depending on what you like. I am just wondering if it is more expensive to buy our windows and other fixtures at big box stores than buy it from panelized companies since they probably have discounts.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By True in Milwaukee, WI on 12/30/2003

Steve, What supplies do I need to prepare for the framing? -True
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 1/6/2004

I just bought my windows and other materials at the big box places as they offer different selections. window companies are all very different. I thought I was able to customize my home better to my needs by buying the panels from Landmark and then buying windows cabinets, etc. from local places. I found that the companies which offer wood and the whole kit including windows, cabinets, etc. had a very limited selection. My wife liked looking at the different options.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 1/6/2004

Just nails and a good framer. Documentation was excellent to assemble the package. Landmark had excellent customer support if you need the help. Get a good framer.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By True in Milwaukee, WI on 1/11/2004

Thanks Steve. Is your chalet done yet? I'll be in Colorado this summer for a few days. If you don't mind me visiting.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jacklyn in Hillsdale, MI on 1/11/2004

True,

Tell me again how you are dealing with Landmark Home and Land Co. From what I read you still are not sure what they actually provide. I have stopped communicating with the rep in my area because when I was just researching as to what they offer. He keeps on pushing me to fill out the application so they can check my credit if I am eligible. I did not want to do that because I am trying not to have too many check on my credit history. I also do not intend to just get financing from them because I want to shop around. I am very interested in their design package because I got as far as asking the rep how much the design is going to cost and he said $600. That is very cheap compared to other companies. I also read from previous posts (Steve?) that said they do very well in designing and making sure that the house is structurally sound. So my question is did you pay the $1,000 to get started in the designing? How are you making changes, is it through the internet or through mail. Do they provide 3D views? Are they good. Is there an architect or designers? Please let me know.

Thanks.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 1/26/2004

I did give them the $1,000 because it was necessary to get my financing and the blueprints going. Best deal around. They helped with the design of my home and I really like it. 400 dollars goes for the appraisal and credit check so there really isnt an application fee. The blueprints cost 600 which is an excellent deal. They also do revisions.
Reply...

Tarris's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Tarris in Saint Louis, MO on 2/20/2004

Steve, I have several question with regard to Landmark home & land co. I hear talk about the great service, but what about the shipping cost. Was this amount outrages and If you don't mind sharing the dollar amount? I am early in the planning phase and I like the idea of getting my plans drawn and sealed at such a cheap price. I talk to local designs that want $1.25 $3.00 a sq-ft. Will they design a home even if you don't buy the supplier from them? What is the cost savings for stick vs panelize? I just assumed that you have done the homework since you chose to build a panelized constuction. How far in advance did you purchase your plans? I am looking to build in 3-4 yrs and I was told the earlier the better. This will give me more time to shop for bargin on this suchas the kitchen, doors and window..ect. Thanks
Reply...

Darrin's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Darrin in Midland, OH on 2/26/2004

Hi all, I am just in my second day of researching Landmark and was wondering if anyone out there has finished thier landmark project? I would like to hear from someone who has gone through the entire process. From what I have seen thus far they pretty much just furnish plans, panels and financing. Everything else is up to me. Just curious. Also I already have blueprints for the home that I want to build, I paid over 700 dollars for them, will I still need to fork over the 600 that Landmark asks for? Thanks
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 3/4/2004

I am finishing my home now that I build with Landmark. They are excellent people. I paid the money for the plans as I had to make adjustments. They are able to better engineer the home once it is in their computer system. Their structural people are excellent. Plans from plan services arent always accurate. I found that out the hard way. I now have a beautiful home.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 3/4/2004

Shipping wasnt an issue. Panelization helped me control the budget. Guaranteed costs and no mistakes on site. They are good people.
Reply...

Darrin's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Darrin in Midland, OH on 3/6/2004

What kind of problems did you run into? I already had a set of blueprints that I just mailed them last week. I'm waiting to hear from them on their estimate. How did the price of thier panel system compare with framing from scratch?
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 4/1/2004

I found the price of the landmark panel package to be very comparable to a stick-built package. originally I thought stick was cheaper but it wasnt. By the time I put the same quality materials and considered labor the cost was about the same. The lumber yards were wishy washy with their estimates. I also had problems getting a custom quote for my home.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve on 4/1/2004

I meant to say that it was hard for me to get a custom home quote from the local lumber yard. They couldnt tell me if an engineer had put the quote together to make sure the hosue would stand up. I have tough codes to deal with and I wanted to make sure that the lumnber quote I got was okay. Landmark has engineers which make sure the house will get through the codes. Their pricing was accurate.
Reply...

Anthony's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Anthony in Zephyrhills, FL on 4/13/2004

Steve, this is Anthony in Florida. My wife and I have decided to build. Did landmark set your framing, or did you hire subcontractors once the panels/frame arrived to install them? Thanks.
Reply...

Anthony's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Anthony in Zephyrhills, FL on 4/14/2004

Looking back through I see you pretty much answered this about having a good framer. Mike called me back today from Landmark, I put in my credit application. They seem to be pretty decent people. We should get a response in the next day. I have a lot of things to put this process together on our home. It should be quite challenging!
Reply...

Amanda's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Amanda in Newport, MI on 4/21/2004

For those of you who have gone with Landmark, did they supply budget lists and help with the scheduling of the project? We are in the beginning phases with them and I have been emailing for a generic budget and scheduling list so I have an idea of what to look ahead for but they have not replied on it. I'm working with Mike and he's been great on everything else.
Reply...

Amanda's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Amanda in Newport, MI on 4/21/2004

For those that are building in MI, what cities are you in? Just wondering if you are near where we will be building (Newport in Monroe Cty) so I might be able to get suggestions on subs you have used.
Reply...

Jim's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim in Northport, AL on 7/19/2004

Hi.. Jim in Alabama, I'm planning on a lake house here in Tuscaloosa. Has anyone had a bad experience with Landmark ? .. It just seems fishy that I have put in an application on the internet and been approved for a $200,000.00 loan in less than a day... nobody has appraised the lot I'm going to buy. Mike says I will be able to include "ALL" of the construction, permits, etc... even the furniture if I want to... Is this a legitimate company? Any hidden costs? Jim ... my broken-down estimate is on the way.
Reply...

Earl's Forum Posts: 9
Interview Answers: 36

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Earl on 10/2/2004

I am thinking about having Landmark build my walls for me. The guy I've been talking to is out of TN, not far from me so they must have contractors all over that build the panels to cut down on shipping. I'm to the point where I need to do the credit ap and see what happens.
Reply...

Anonymous's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Anonymous on 9/22/2005

Not sure how everyone?s experience turned out, but mine didn?t go so well. Got my budget back and the framing package is 111k for a 3300 sqf two story home. It just seems really high to me $33/sqrf not installed and no windows or doors?

Reply...

Ann's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ann in CA on 9/24/2005

Viiler,
That number does seem a little high but the financing package might make up for it.
We are in the process of getting our own bid from Landmark and now I will be wondering what our framing cost will be.

Did you get comparable quotes from other panelized companies?  Did the cost you listed include alot of garages? 

We have built many panelized homes over the years and I can tell you that some plans have extra roof lines and other issues that can make them more expensive per square foot than you might expect.

Other than the high price, has your experience with them been satisfactory?

Ann

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Anonymous on 9/25/2005

I did get pricing from a local panel builder and the complete cost installed is less then half what LandMarks was. I also got a stick faming bid that was even less then that by a few K.  My experience with them was pretty good until I got their pricing on the lumber package. Unfortunately, they wouldn't give me a price until we were ready to close on the financing and so it kind of screwed up my financing and almost cost me my land.  I?m working with CountryWide now and we should close this week. The good thing is I?ll save 6K because they are not charging me any origination point and I can use any builder I wish, which will save me another 80K.

Good Luck

Reply...

Brenda's Forum Posts: 22
Interview Answers: 29

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Brenda in Eustis, FL on 9/26/2005

I see that you are using Countrywide for your mortgage...do they do owner-builder loans?  If so, what do they require?

Thanks

Brenda

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Anonymous on 9/26/2005

They do require a GC or at least a GC to oversee the project. I have a GC that is doing my foundation and excavation and a few other little things, and so I just set up a contract with him to help me out on the project on hourly basis. He was willing to sign off on my plans and budget; I did get my own builders risk and liability insurance though.

Reply...

Karlie's Forum Posts: 23
Interview Answers: 105

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Karlie in Ogden, UT on 9/28/2005

After reading through Landmark's website I have become interested in finding out more about this company through other owner builders on this site who have used them or are in the process of working with them.  Is there anyone in Utah who has built a home with Landmark?  What kind of materials do they supply besides the panels?  Are their interest rates competitive with other banks?  Do most banks or other financial institutions require you to have a GC license to qualify for a loan or at least have a GC license to work under?  Answers to these questions would be much appreciated.  My husband and I are still in the planning phases and will probably begin building in early spring. 

Thanks,

Karlie

Reply...

B's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By B on 9/29/2005

Don't do it.   It has been two years and we are still not finished with our house.   Landmark sets you up, but doesn't come through with correcting problems.  We have trusses that were made incorrectly.  The time frame for completion is unrealistic and don't even think about building in an area that has high housing growth... the subs will not bid your project nor offer you a fair bid.
Reply...

Ann's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ann in CA on 9/30/2005

B,

Interesting... We were never able to get references of satisfied clients, prices, or written specifications from them after five weeks of effort.

We could not close on our lot because they never came through.

I was just wondering, did they actually give you the $1,000 down deal they advertise? What bank do they use? Did they build the house or contract with another panelized company? Which one?

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Brad in MI on 9/30/2005

I have built with Landmark and had an excellent experience.   They really took care of me.   It sounds to me like you had problems with your sub contractors.  Since I have built, I have referred two friends who have built with Landmark and they are happy.  

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

I bought from Landmark a year or two ago and they provided excellent service and product.   You must be in one of those engineered states that needs fully engineered plans. That is an expensive process.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

I thought their pricing was excellent.   I built a home with Landmark and the service and product were both excellent. 
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

Sounds like you are trying to save all the money in the world....do you think you can eventually get the house for free?   I find it hard to believe that you can save all that money.   I built a home with Landmark and I saved a huge amount of money in relation to the cost with a builder, but the numbers you are showing are huge?  Are you sure they can supply those materials at those lower costs?
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

I built with landmark and I now understand why they dont hand out their customers names.   I gave them my name for reference purposes and I was flooded with calls.  The people who called had no consideration for me being able to sleep, etc.  Many would call late at night.   I asked them to remove me from their list and they did.   They then discontinued handing out customers names because of my statements.   I think it is smart for Landmark to protect their existing customers privacy.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

What was your design like? Square footage isnt the only indicator of price.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

B.  you must not have had a good relationship with your subs to take two years to build your home.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

A GC should be responsible for the whole project, not just your foundation. Watch out for this...when you have an individual subcontractor sign off as a GC for your project, you can end up in trouble. Michigan has similar laws. If you run into problems with your project this could come back to haunt you. I tried to get someone to sign off as my GC prior to doing my own project and my lawyer strongly advised against it. Something about bank fraud and problems with building permits/inspections.
Reply...

Selina's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Selina in SD on 10/4/2005

Hi Brad (from MI),

I just joined the forum and read most of your posting. I just want to say that it has been really encouraging to read of your experience with Landmark Homes & Land Co. I am vacillating between them and Viceroy Homes. I thought I read somewhere that you are a friend of Steve in Colorado. Do you know if his home is done?  I currently live in Cheyenne, WY and just bought a piece of lake front in South Dakota. It would be nice to see in person what a finished home from LHLC looks like. Do you have any pictures of your home you purchased from them that you would be willing to share?  If so, please PM me.

Thank you,

Selina

Reply...

P's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 44

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By P in North, FL on 10/7/2005

Many banks allow General Contractors to act as site supervisors for owner-builders. IndyMac, Wells Fargo,  Capital City, Countrywide and Mid-Country to name a few. There is no bank fraud involved.

In most states an O-B is allowed to act as their own contractor. Sometimes a bank may require a GC to look over things. Depending on the contract the GC is not responsible for anything, other than what he does. All the GC is doing, is making sure the O-B is handling things properly and giving advice if needed. This happens every day in Florida and other states. Many homes are built this way.

I didn't read that Viler had a sub sign off on anything... unless I missed something...

Reply...

Jim's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim in Elmira, NY on 10/15/2005

Hello! My wife and I have been dealing with Landmark for a few months now, and it has been anything but positive. We sent them a fourteen-page plan set (with the $1,000), and Mike Tuma sent us -- many, many weeks later - a set of their "blueprints" that looked like a retarded monkey had gotten access to a CAD program. Rooms were without doors into them, the roof slope was as flat as any doublewide trailer, windows were the wrong sizes, dormers were replaced with other shaped dormers without my ever asking for that to be done - in short, it was the most god-awful sorry excuse for a building plan I had ever seen, and that was after spending $1,300 on the architect's plans! Finally Steve Tuma called and soon after sent another set of plans based (what a concept) on the architect's plans we sent them. That was a few weeks ago, and we haven't heard a word from either of them since. We're actually just waiting to see how long they take to contact us again. I just hope they don't spend the $1,000 in one place, because it's going to be the last money they ever see from us.

Jim Goode

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Anonymous on 10/16/2005

Just wanted to clear up a few things.

CountryWide was able do my loan with No points, which Landmark?s lender were going to charge me. There was no deception in using a GC that allowed me to be my own OB. The owner build group I went with is HomeRights and they were already pre-approved through CountryWide's construction dept. Anyway, they are like a buildamax which I?m sure has also been pre-approved. Anyway this GC I'm working with let's me run the show, comes out to the job site when I need him and gives me all their list of subs, and I also get his discounts.  One other note that I seemed to have ran into there is no 100% financing if your house construction cost is over $500K. I had to pay about 5% with just about any lender I talked to, even with Landmark.  

Anyway, this is the guy I worked with at CountryWide, very knowledgeable lender that saved me some cash. Charlie Dodge.

As for wanting to build my house for free, don?t we all wish. Anyway my thought on that is, you have got to be stupid to pay $70K more for the same/similar thing. I got two other quotes, from very credible companies and they were within $8K of each other, with Landmark coming about $65K - $80K over, At that price I could go with concrete walls and still have some money. You can argue all you want about it, but the bottom line is for the complete framing package I require they are way off. Nowhere on this forum or on a rough budget estimate sheet do I see the framing cost of a house coming in over 40% of the total cost of the house.

By the way, for my $1,000 I sent them, I never got anything of value from them other then a few pdf drawings, which I'm now paying an architect to redo an new set of plans just because I don't want to have to deal with these people anymore.

Good luck and make sure to shop around and don't let anyone try to get you into a corner.

Reply...

Scottie's Forum Posts: 17

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Scottie in Durham, NC on 10/17/2005

I got a quote for $73K from Landmark for a 2,800 hsf home with a three-bay garage.  This seems pretty steep to me. I wasn't able to do a stick framing comparison b/c I don't have the plans. Anyone else think this is pricey?  What is usually the cost for a lumber package and labor for a home this size?  Here is a link to the home:  designbasics.com

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Selina in SD on 10/19/2005

Scottie,

That price per sq. ft. seems pretty high. Check out Viceroy Homes - their panelized packet includes windows, doors, etc. I think their prices are more resonable. Here is their website: http://www.viceroy.com

Selina

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Brad in MI on 10/21/2005

Price isn't everything....  when I purchased from landmark there were some cheaper places, but after I went through the whole experience I was happy I worked with Landmark.   There were many customer support, engineering and financing issues they were able to help me with.   I also got a home which was very well built.   Even the framers said they hadn't seen a home so well-built.  If you are a cheap person that wants a lower price, I am sure you can find it, but I preferred to go the route of quality and service.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

I checked with countrywide and they told me Icould do the program you described, but they never came through. It was unfortunate as I wasted a lot of time... Landmark bailed me out and took care of me.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

I realize I paid a little more with Landmark but the plans, engineering and product were superb.   There shouldn't be that much of a price difference.  I would double check that.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Melissa in Vancouver, WA on 10/21/2005

We got delivery of our panel package August 1. Its been 12 weeks now and there have been so many problems with the panels that framing is just now being completed. ALH- the company that built the panels- made some major errors on all of the engineered walls and many of the roof trusses. We had to have all the engineered walls cut out and redone totally. The engineers said that they have an employee that only deals with the errors by Landmark & ALH. Although our house will be beautiful- it has cost us 30,000 more so far due to their errors and the delays they have caused.

Congratulations --You all appear to be very lucky.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Brad in MI on 10/24/2005

You must have had other problems than the panels.   When I built my home with landmark, there were some issues which were resolved immediately without problem.   I do know that some of the problems I thought were landmark's were not,  there were foundation errors which gave the impression of a panel problem when in fact it wasn't.    Landmark took care of any issues I had with them immediately. 
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Selina in SD on 10/27/2005

Scottie,

I read your e-mail incorrectly - I thought you said you got your Landmark Home package for $73 per sf. After a second read, I realized you said $73K for a 2800 sf home. That is actually a good price - my bad!

How is everything going with the building process?

Selina 

Reply...

Scottie's Forum Posts: 17

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Scottie in Durham, NC on 10/27/2005

Thanks for the guys.  I am still in negotiations with Landmark.  I am also taking a look at ASBS and Allpro.  I found another company called timbertruss.  There pricing is unbelievable if you like one of their models!  The only disadvantage is they don't draw plans like ASBS and Landmark provides.  Look them up at www.timbertruss.com
Reply...

Jennifer's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jennifer on 10/27/2005

I just took delivery of my panelized home from landmark a few weeks ago and it is beautiful.    I got a really nice house which I was able to design.  I am an interior designer...

Panels went together perfectly and customer support was excellent.   Their engineered plans were easy to get through the building department.

We are now working on installing the siding and beginning the interior mechanicals.  I would highly recommend Landmark to anyone...

We are planning about 100K of equity when we move in.  Friends are helping us and it is exciting.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

The service Landmark provided was worth the few extra bucks we paid.  They were only about five hundred higher than the next bid, but Landmark was willing to customize the plans and help with engineered plans.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

Make sure your plans are reviewed by an engineer... anyone can draw the plans but making sure the inspectors will approve it is the hard part.  Landmark did my engineered plans and they were excellent.   Building inspectors even commented on the completeness and quality.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Melissa in Vancouver, WA on 10/27/2005

Where do I begin... Since Landmark is really a go-between - you are correct in they have not really done anything specifically incorrect. However, since my contract is with them and the individuals they use, they are responsible for it falls back on them and their reputation.

First off, it took 18 weeks to get our blueprints - this was 12 weeks longer than Landmark said it would be.

Our panels arrived - One Semi truck drove the back of his truck off the edge of the road and almost lost our entire load down the ravine....

Our home has steel wall panels in it... there are about 15 of them = $9,000 plus all the steel hardware and connectors that were not included = $8,000- that we did not anticipate. I know that any steel was not included in the panel package or price, but nowhere did anyone indicate that we would have that much cost associated with it. There was wood missing from the package and we have spent about $8,000 on missing product. None of the steel panels fit into the spaces they were suppose to, so Studs and entire walls were removed/reframed to allow these steel walls to fit. Nothing like seeing you new house torn apart after it's been put together...

The main Drag truss in the roof was entered in the computer incorrectly and so the 12 other trusses that were connected to it were off. This meant ordering a new beam to fix the problem and the tourette we had the front of our home had to be hand framed and could not be framed as we wanted it due to the changes in the truss/beam. This was the same over our garage. Our contractors have had daily contact with both the engineers and the panel manufacturers to get modifications so that it will pass the inspection and remain within code. The Panel company has agreed to pay for the corrections but it has delayed our project about a month.

I know that there are unexpected things that come up, but honestly not this many errors. Landmark has been notified and spoken to our contractor as well. Not once have I heard anyone apologize for the errors and delays in our home. ALH - the panel Co - admitted to their errors and is working with us on fixing them but our budget is shot due to the overages in errors and delays. Our loan has had to be extended = more fees to extend it. Our home is not completed within our time line and we just found out that the septic may not be able to be installed now because it's too late in the season. I'm excited about our new home and can't wait for it to be done. I just can't imagine that building a home should be this much trouble.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jennifer on 10/28/2005

Our project with landmark has been excellent.    There are ups and downs to building..  It sounds like you may have run into a legitimate problem and they are working it out with you.   At least they aren't leaving you high and dry.  The problem with the truck sounds like a problem with your driveway. We had a tough driveway, but at least the truck delivered to the foundation. I couldn't image having to carry the materials in our little truck. 

I would say that building a home is a large undertaking and at times I got frustrated, but the guys at landmark definitely made it easier and quicker.  I would work with them again without a doubt and recommend them to my friends.

Reply...

Viler's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Viler on 9/12/2006

Yep same thing happend to me. They are bad news!!
Reply...

Jeb's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeb in Martinsburg, WV on 10/10/2006

Landmark is bad news. They try to blame everyone but themselves.  Don't worry they pad their contracts after you've already paid deposits and have closed on your loans so they guarantee you cannot back out with out significant loss.  Then they pad into the contract that litigation takes place in Indiana and that things such as plans and engineering is the responsibility of their subs.

They know how to screw you.

I think someone should check to see where Steve in the posts above is actually from. I bet his IP address says Michigan City IN.

Reply...

P's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 44

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By P in North, FL on 10/11/2006

Here is a link to their BBB profile: http://www.gary.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=20861
Reply...

Viler's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Viler on 10/11/2006

Just a follow up on my house. I was lucky I made a contingency plan and just lost $1K to Landmark for nothing. They wanted 110K for their panels. I’m almost ready to move into my house in the next month or so, but I got it all framed (materials and labor) was just over half of their material-only price.
Reply...

Mike's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mike in San Diego, CA on 7/17/2007

Steve is the the only person who has had a good experience with Landmark.  Steve is also the name of the president of Landmark.  Steve sounds like a Landmark salesman.  I.e. too good to be true.
Reply...

Nichole 's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Nichole on 2/9/2017

Melissa, did you end up building with them? We are looking in to building our first home and are located in Washington state:)
Reply...

Richard's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Richard on 9/19/2017

I tried working with Landmark, got scammed.  I had plans, and wanted some minor changes, and they tried to gouge me.  They used Midcountry Bank.  If you notice, there is a "Steve" on here that has great reviews about them.  Well, I know the owner, Steve Tuma, has been on sites that had complaints about LHL, and he had an attitude with me when I tried to get out of the loan with Midcountry Bank and LHL.  Steve, the owner, said "I will make you pay!".  He knew I was not happy with his service and requotes, that were not professional. 

I tried working with Midcountry Bank to break the relationship, and they insisted they can't, that only LHL can do that.  And, of course, Mr. Tuma made an outrageous exit demand.  So, I was left losing the lot I started paying on, and no home, thanks to LHL and Steve Tuma. 

CAUTION!  Stay away from LHL!  I would stay far away from them if possible.

Reply...

Josi's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Josi on 3/26/2018

I'm glad I read through all of this.  I can tell you, from the pattern of posting and content of posts, that Steve, Brad and Jennifer are all from Landmark.  I was really interested in going that route and now - from the REAL accounts of non-Landmark people - I will look in a different direction.  Thank goodness for the internet paper trail.
Reply...

David's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David on 7/14/2019

yes I was thinking the same thing .seems like fake reviews.

Reply...

Lara's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lara on 5/9/2020

I want to work with Landmark to build our home in Calhan, Colorado, but we can't find a builder who will agree to construct it! Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.