movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
352 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

This is a great website and a great community.
Gene in Towaco, NJ

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Log Homes

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

paul's Forum Posts: 4
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By paul in geismar, LA on 12/7/2009

I am in the initial stages of planning and building a log home for retirement. I plan to do much of the work myself in stages.

Do anyone have any advice? Are log homes energy efficient? I am currently looking at Lincoln Homes - has anyone done business with them or know someone who has?

Thanks,

Pawlette

Reply...

Mary's Forum Posts: 101
Journal Entries: 60
Interview Answers: 15

Private Message

Image from Mary's blog

Login to Vote

By Mary in PA on 12/8/2009

Hi and welcome!

I don't have any personal experience with log homes, but your question was pretty general, so I'll dive in. You've likely already thought of this; I would say that checking with several log-home manufacturers and insisting that you see several constructed homes and can talk with some owners would be needed as a baseline to start comparing one company against another.

Good luck with your project - I hope you'll start a blog here. I think log homes are neat!
Mary

Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 12/8/2009

Pawlette,

I have a neighbor who built a log home, but I am not sure of the manufacturer.  However, I have noticed a few things. He hired a company to build the house and supposedly they only built log homes.  Unfortunately, the windows were not installed correctly and leaked when it rained. Now they have water marks on the interior logs that they can't get off.  He also said that the plumber and the electrical were considerably more due to the extra work of drilling through the logs.  It doesn't appear that they are any more efficient than a well-built, well-sealed, well-insulated traditionally-framed home.  My neighbor currently has his home up for sale because he has discovered that he doesn't have the time, money or energy (he's 50) to keep up with the exterior maintenance that is required for a log home. 

Reply...

2008, 2009 Merit Award Winner

Grant's Forum Posts: 363
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 164

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

By Grant in Blacksburg, VA on 12/8/2009

Because of uninsulated thermal mass, I'm not a big fan of traditional log-home construction in the hot and humid southeast.  I notice you are in Louisiana.  You might want to look at log homes in your area and see what their energy bills are like. 

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By paul in geismar, LA on 12/8/2009

Thank you for replying. I am re-thinking the log home thing because of  potential maintenance problems that I encounter as I continue to do my research. I am 49 and plan on retiring in a few years (hopefully) on 57 acres of family propery without any problems.

I think you are right about a well built traditionally built frame home but there are a few log homes in our area and they look soooo inviting.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

What got me to thinking about wanting a log home is the very fact that I saw a few in my area while driving around, and I really liked the look.

I live in a 6,043 sq ft home now and want to settle down (retire) in a smaller home on some family property that I own with my uncle.

However, you have a valid point. For the past few days, as I do research, I'm thinking that a log home may be for the young set and not for me, but I will take your advice because I haven't given up hope yet. I am now looking at hybrid log homes.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

Thanks!

I have been on the Internet a couple of hours each day. My first step is to get the information sent to me so that I can decide and then call the manufacturers that make the cut. Right now, I am thinking of a hybrid instead of a truly traditional log home.

Reply...

Brian's Forum Posts: 86
Journal Entries: 176
Interview Answers: 248

Private Message

Image from Brian's blog

Login to Vote

By Brian in Dome-ville, FL on 2/19/2010

My wife and I really considered a log home.  The ease of putting it up yourself, and look, and the "rustic feel" were big draws. However, in Central FL you have to worry about termites, carpenter bees, carpenter ants, wood rot, and a host of other problems.  They outweighed the look and feel of a log home.  We instead went the other way and ended up with a futuristic geodesic dome house... all concrete on the outside, termite, fire and hurricane resistant. You can see it at the hoskens project blog here.

Reply...

Cheryl's Forum Posts: 1
Interview Answers: 66

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Cheryl in Leesburg, VA on 5/11/2010

My husband and I also like the look of a log home. Instead of wood logs, you may want to check out concretelogs.com. This is an interesting concept using a concrete mold to form the logs instead of wood. We really liked the idea of the concrete - no bugs, fire retardant, and good insulating factors. Interesting factors - the color of the logs is a stain, not in the concrete. Also, the interiors are completed in drywall. I would want the log look inside also. However, concrete logs are beyond our price range.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.