movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
370 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

As amazed as I have been with the book, the service and support from the site and from you is even more impressive.
Jen in Wheat Ridge, CO

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Bargain faucets

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 11/13/2009

Wanted to let you all know that if you are looking for faucets - check out thefaucetdiscounters on eBay. They have Price Pfister and great prices. I have bought several from them, and am very happy.
Reply...

Ric's Forum Posts: 65
Interview Answers: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ric in North Bend, WA on 11/13/2009

Faye!
How did you know I was shopping for faucets?!?!  :)

I'll check them out, thanks for the tip!

-Ric

Reply...

2008, 2009 Merit Award Winner

Grant's Forum Posts: 363
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 164

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

By Grant in Blacksburg, VA on 11/18/2009

OK... This thread is about actual bargains. When I read "bargain faucets" different thoughts raced through my head. 

Many of the inexpensive brand faucets are made with hard to find parts.  Even some of the expensive "fashionable faucets" sold today are essentially disposable.  Talk to your plumber before selecting faucets if longevity and ease/"low cost" of maintenance is more important to you than just "style."  The plumbing industry seems to be trying to make plumbing fixtures a disposable fashion statement like so much current furniture trends.  When the fashion changes you remove and replace it.  Parts are impossible to find; it's cheaper to replace than to repair.  And the updated look from replacement ups your house appraisal.  (But it sends more waste to the landfills!!!)

So, ask your plumber which brands he recommends from an ease and low-cost-of-repair standpoint.  A "bargain faucet" may cost more over its life cycle if a plumber can't easily repair it in the future.  I guess that's fine if you want to switch them out every time you redecorate your house, but to me, plumbing should be a long-life asset.  At our company offices, we're still using the same fixtures that were installed when the 1854 antebellum home was first built.  To me, that is a "bargain."

Reply...

Ric's Forum Posts: 65
Interview Answers: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ric in North Bend, WA on 11/18/2009

Hey Grant

Good reply!

To rebut: In my case, I was looking to save some $$ on the same quality faucets, not buy buying cheap junk. I subscribe to the "Buy good, buy once" philosophy. The eBay seller referred to here sells the same brand-name parts as the local retail outlets, so there was no compromise there. In my case however, I did not end up buying my faucets there. It just didn't work out for me.

It did look like a good resource though. I checked them out, and looked through their offerings, and service. If I hadn't already had a retailer that I was working through, and was happy with, I'd have probably used them.

As always, my opinion is worth the price charged.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 11/19/2009

I am with you as well here. Bargain and cheap are rarely the same, and shouldn't be used interchangeably. That said, my plumber had never seen Danze faucets, and when he held them in his hands he thought they were a bit pricier than what I paid. And while I originally found these based on the Internet and aesthetics, I certainly didn't order them without finding a local supplier and going to look in person. Besides appearance and what appeared to be initial quality, my decision point on these faucets was ability to obtain any single replacement part locally, from multiple sources. Being able to service and repair items vs. simply replacement is often the difference between bargain and cheap.

And while those 1850 faucets are clearly quality, how easy is it to find parts? Granted at this point parts cost what they cost because you wouldn't replace the faucets themselves as that would significantly diminish the nature of the room. However with quality fixtures, there is not a lot to wear out either. And here is a situation where replacement and updating would probably lower the appraisal as well ;-). Thin metal foil finish over plastic parts is something different entirely.

Given the thought and level of detail Faye has put into her house, and that this isn't her first build, I definitely have a high degree of confidence when she recommends a source.

Reply...

2008, 2009 Merit Award Winner

Grant's Forum Posts: 363
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 164

Private Message

Image from Grant's blog

Login to Vote

By Grant in Blacksburg, VA on 11/19/2009

Thought I'd make a clarification about the intent of my comment:

"OK... This thread is about actual bargains. When I read "bargain faucets" different thoughts raced through my head."

As soon as I opened and read the post, I realized that Faye wasn't talking about sacrificing quality.  I closed the post and went on to read other posts.  The second day, I forgot what the post was about and opened it again, with the same thoughts in my head.  So I decided to just record my thoughts on the difference between an actual bargain and "cheap," even though that wasn't Faye's original intention.  I figured my "additional" thoughts might help someone.

I will also say, that you have to be really careful even with expensive name brands bought on sale...  Seriously... Talk to your plumber and ask him if the fixtures you are considering buying are "disposable" or able to be maintenanced over time.  I really like how the last poster confirmed that they had multiple suppliers for spare parts.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 11/21/2009

I don't wish to hijack Faye's post here, so I started a new thread over in the Construction Bargain Strategies section on cost vs. quality (Cheap-vs-Quality-sometimes-cheap-wins). Actually as I think about it some more, if I was in a budget crunch I would definitely buy the absolute cheapest faucets I could get by with. Why, because they are easily replaced later with minimal impacts on anything else in the house. There might be other examples, which is why I don't wish to hijack or scope-creep this thread but thought a new thread might be better.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.