movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Thank you for the previous information on this thread. Great website.
Dan in Sonora, CA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

ICF construction scheduling

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Michael's Forum Posts: 22
Journal Entries: 2
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

Image from Michael's blog

Login to Vote

By Michael in Garden Grove, CA on 12/26/2008

I have been browsing and posting on this and other sites and I have a question for the collective. How does the schedule of an ICF home differ from a stick-built? I can find many examples of a stick-built house schedule, but have yet to come across a schedule for an ICF house. Does the perimeter fall in the schedule where the foundation would normally fall?

Any insight from someone who has already built an ICF home or someone who has investigated this matter for themselves would be greatly appreciated.

Reply...

Steven's Forum Posts: 89
Journal Entries: 1004
Interview Answers: 255

Private Message

My Construction Website

Steven's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 1/23/2009

Michael:

I'm also starting to put together my construction schedule for my ICF home and haven't found much to go on. Very odd.

When I do put something together, if you think it will be helpful I'll happily post it for you.

Steve
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 1/23/2009

Do you have an ICF contractor local to you? I would ask them. I relied on many trades during planning for just such questions. Ironically, the tradespeople I consulted during planning didn't actually get the contracts during construction. It's not that they didn't have opportunities to submit bids, but I think some of them were a bit too comfortable that they would get the job since I had talked to them previously.

Truthfully, I found that the basement walls got stacked in one day (17 corners, some non-standard angles so not an "easy" stack, however the design ensured very few block cuts too as we templated the blocks and adjusted the final dimensions to account for block and corner dimensions). Bracing took another day, laying out the truss template to ensure you get the connectors in the right place took another day (you could do this faster, but once those connectors are cast into the concrete it is pretty permanent, so double-check everything twice here). Then you call for an inspection (all work has to be done before you call for the inspection; allow 24 hours for the inspector to actually get there). Concrete pumper shows up on day five. Once the first floor was framed in, the main floor went about the same, but needed an extra day because there were far more windows and doors.

That gets you my perimeter ICF schedule.

Reply...

Private Message

Login to Vote

By Michael in Garden Grove, CA on 1/24/2009

Kenneth,

At this point I am half a continent away. I currently live in California. but my wife and I are buying 30 acres in Kansas.

We will be going out there in May. I will probably contact some ICF contractors at that time. I have found about a half dozen in the area so far.

Your post pretty much confirmed my thoughts on the scheduling. Our house will be a single story with a 4' crawlspace, so footings directly to walls. The crawlspace is mainly to give us some elevation to improve our view and enhance the quality of our porch sitting experience (lol).

Thanks for the input. By the way, I don't believe Lee's Summit is too awfully far from where we will be building in Alma. We'll almost be neighbors. Once again, I appreciate your response.

Mike.

Reply...

Private Message

Login to Vote

By Michael in Garden Grove, CA on 1/24/2009

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Kenneth also responded to my question and inadvertently (maybe) pointed out the simplicity of the schedule.

I think that, maybe, I am trying to overthink this a little. A home is a huge undertaking, financially and otherwise, and it is important to get it right the first time. So, no doubt, there will be many more questions prior to the actual groundbreaking.

Mike

Reply...

Steven's Forum Posts: 89
Journal Entries: 1004
Interview Answers: 255

Private Message

My Construction Website

Steven's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steven in Colorado Springs, CO on 1/24/2009

Howdy Michael:

Yeah, I hear you. I'm busy trying to swag out a rough schedule right now (as the first step towards putting together the construction-loan paperwork) and looking for all the help I can get. That's how I stumbled across this thread, in fact.

Right now I've downloaded several of the various planning spreadsheets from this site and I am reading as much as I can about what tools or software other folks used. Right now I've got the budget mocked-up in plain 'ole Excel and am fiddling with a tool called GanttProject for the schedule and critical path stuff. I'm pretty pleased with using Excel for the budget--I'm used to the tool--but I'm still feeling my way around GanttProject. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck, and please post about how it goes.

Steve

Reply...

Private Message

Login to Vote

By Michael in Garden Grove, CA on 1/25/2009

Steve,

I am using the same programs.

What I have done is to enter the basic schedule from The Complete Guide to Contracting Your Own Home into GanttProject and entering takeoffs and bids using the same schedule under a project development section.

I have included what I have done so far in an attachment. I also have typed in the master plan from the same source in a separate Gantt folder. I will add that to a separate post. (I can't seem to figure out how to include it in this post.)

Another book that has been really helpful for Excel is Estimating with Microsoft Excel by Jay Christopherson. It is available at BuilderBooks.com. Also, the JLC website has some very helpful articles but, you will have to become a member. I don't remember how much it cost but, I don't think it was very much.

I hope this has been helpful.

Mike

Reply...

Private Message

Login to Vote

By Michael in Garden Grove, CA on 1/25/2009

Steve,

I am having trouble with the attachment. If you PM me with your e-mail address I will send it to you.

Mike

Any advice on possible formatting solutions?

Reply...

Private Message

Login to Vote

By Michael in Garden Grove, CA on 1/26/2009

Sorry if this doesn't work.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.