movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
354 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
406 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

The O-B Book has been a great help for us so far, and we're just getting started with the fun stuff. We're in our fourth month of planning and devoting at least two-three hours per day to that.
Doug in Cedar Rapids, IA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

FLAT SCREEN OVER FIREPLACE

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 12/11/2008

I am currently getting ready to prewire the house and am going to put a flat screen TV over my fireplace. I already know about the temperature checks and all that, but am currently searching for my HDMI & audio cables, wall plates, etc. I need 30' length so they are pretty expensive. I am looking at eBay and a few sites but I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for suppliers? The HDMI cables are the most expensive at $65 apiece. Also, have any of you noticed or heard of any differences in quality between different brands? I don't want to save $$ and get poor quality.
Reply...

Mike's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mike in Dover, DE on 12/11/2008

Check monoprice.com. I've purchased CAT5 and HDMI cables from them in the past.  They ship fast and work great.

Signals over HDMI are purely digital, so you won't get subtle noise or quality degradation -- either it works or it doesn't.  I suspect the only differences between cables are how the connectors hold up against oxidation and how much shielding there is.  Rather than paying more for shielding against electromagnetic interference, simply install the low-voltage cables away from any high-power cables, like speaker/house wiring, and keep them away from unshielded speaker magnets.

Reply...

DCG's Forum Posts: 159

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By DCG in Lago Vista, TX on 12/12/2008

I strongly second Monoprice.  I've probably purchased about $500 in AV cables with them.

For a 30' run, I wouldn't worry about signal issues.  I have several runs over 50'--just to be sure I use a wall plate that amplifies the HDMI signals.

Reply...

Jerry's Forum Posts: 29
Journal Entries: 27
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Image from Jerry's blog

Login to Vote

By Jerry in Lee's Summit, MO on 1/7/2009

Depending on the TV, you may want to consider a recessed box to allow room for connections behind the flat screen like the one here:

aifittings.com/whnew98.

I have not used this one in particular, but lots of people use some sort of recessed box.

Also, it sounds like you have other components being connected to the TV from a nearby location.  If so, do yourself a favor and run a 2" conduit between the two locations.  This has saved me several times already.  I even pulled a 30' HDMI cable through it.  That way, it wasn't permanently stuck in the wall if it ever needed replaced.  Make sure to install a pull string in the conduit during installation, to pull cables through later.  Works like a charm!

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 1/8/2009

I would like to second this, this is a great idea that has saved me as well. The pull string is the critical part of this, and makes pulling new cables easy (you tape the new cable to the pull string, go to the other end of the conduit and pull the string through, and voila, your cable is now installed in the conduit).

Something to think about, when you use the pull string to pull the new cable through your conduit, do yourself a favor and pull another string through too (tape the new string to the pull string along with the cable you are trying to pull through) for the next time you may want to pull a cable into that conduit ;-). A little dish detergent helps as well, makes pulling cables smooth like butter (or at least smooth like liquid soap).

Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 1/8/2009

Thanks Jerry -- Actually I finished the wiring weeks ago and I did end up putting in a 3" piece of PVC pipe to fish the wiring through. This way I can go into the attic and change out cables as needed. I used low voltage boxes for all the wiring.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.