movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I LOVE your book and the content on your website. What a great resource!
Brit A. in Sequin, TX

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Kitchen Receptacle Problem

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 12/10/2008

I am having big issues with my kitchen receptacles and I'm hoping some of you may have some ideas I haven't thought of. My home is a very open floor plan with a very large great room in the center. The kitchen is tucked into one corner of this great room and does not have any upper cabs. The kitchen base cabinets are almost a square layout with just a 4' section taken out for a entrance. I didn't want any upper cabinets because I wanted to be able to see into the rest of the great room while I was working in the kitchen. My problem is that code calls for a receptacle within 24" of every counter space and I only have two walls in my kitchen -- the other two rows of cabinets are basically free standing and connected to each other. I hope I am explaining this so you can understand what I mean! LOL.

Anyway -- The code is calling for a great deal of receptacles and I have no walls to put them in. My only other option is to somehow mount them on the cabinets - which I think will look awful . This is a very large kitchen and my electrician says I already have 3 times more receptacles in my kitchen than most people do -- so I do not have a need for these outlets . I have already talked to the inspector and common sense eludes him. He actually told me one guy ended up putting a receptacle in his granite countertop (flush-face up)! Apparently that was acceptable to the inspector, although the code clearly states you cannot do that. I did consider mounting the outlets in the cabinets facing out the back (which faces the living area) but they would be pretty useless and look very out of place. I also thought of building a knee wall behind the two areas for a raised area above counter to put outlets in but feel it will spoil the openess I'm trying to achieve. So if any of you have another idea - I'd appreciate it.
Reply...

Jason's Forum Posts: 20

Private Message

My Construction Website

Jason's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jason in Burleson, TX on 12/10/2008

These are somewhat costly, but they work well for power in kitchen countertops.  We installed one in an island and one on a peninsula where we had no wall to mount outlets into.

Mockett Kitchen Power Gromett.

For the extra cost you do get a little "wow" factor.  People always comment on these more than other facets of our home.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 12/10/2008

Wow, that is pretty tricky piece of electrical - nice.

I was going to suggest a knee wall behind the cabinets, that is what my electrician recommended (and what I did). The cabinetmaker can provide a couple of extra panels to completely hide the wall. Not nearly as tricky as that electrical, nor nearly as much wow (and probably my solution is actually more costly). I wish I had seen these three years back.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 12/10/2008

Thanks Jason, Those are very cool! I don't think the price is too terrible either. I am going to talk to my electrician abut putting these in -- Thanks again.
Reply...

Bruce's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bruce in Indianapolis, IN on 12/18/2008

That is really cool, but what does "Does not meet NEC requirements. For kitchen use requires GFI." mean?  I understand the GFI part, but not meeting NEC requirements sounds bad. 
Reply...

2009 Merit Award Winner

Terry's Forum Posts: 74
Interview Answers: 80

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Terry in Phoenix / Oracle, AZ on 12/20/2008

The power strip shown is not GFI protected.  Most receptacles in a kitchen end up being GFI by current code.  It is often easier just to make them all GFI.  The easiest way to do that with what was shown is simply install a GFI breaker at the main panel rather than use a GFI receptacle.  This is particularly true when you have mulitple GFI or AFI receptacles on a circuit.
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 12/22/2008

Terry, I've noticed that, too. I think this type of receptacle would be better suited to a desk area. I decided to put in two 3" filler strips and mount the receptacles in there. I will be using GFI units in those areas so it won't be an issue.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.