movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
352 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Thanks for letting me express my opinion. This is a great forum for exchanging ideas and experiences.
Dave Jackman

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

just starting

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Sid's Forum Posts: 4
Interview Answers: 66

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sid in Iowa, LA on 12/4/2008

Hello to everyone in LA

I've just read The Owner-Builder Book for the second time. My wife got it from the library two weeks ago. And then got a copy from Books-A-Million for a early Christmas present. She knows how I am about needing to know. We have lived in SW LA in a little town named Iowa for a year now. You have to say it like a Cajun with a long A. We moved here after running to Mobile AL, away from Katrina. We were in Long Beach, MS. It's also closer to her parents. We have a 3/4 acre lot in an almost fully-built subdivision on the east side of town that we will be building on eventually. We also bought a smallish three-bed two-bath wood-framed house on the south side of town. Couldn't get financed to build, so we bought this one for half the price of building.

I've been in construction for most of my life, my dad was a carpenter, and have built three homes in the past 30 years. And have worked on probably 20 times that many. Ended up enriching others. This time it will be for us. I drew up our plans, I use AutoCAD at work (and have it at home also) and have started to get a few prices together. We will probably do some of the work ourselves. I've got plumbing, electrical, and painting on the to-do list so far. Hopefully this will be all.

Well I just wanted to say hey and wish everyone a Merry Christmas

Sid and Fran

Reply...

Sid's Forum Posts: 4
Interview Answers: 66

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sid in Iowa, LA on 12/11/2008

Hello to all again,

I've just come across a site, see link below, that is amazing to me. Why don't we all use this product? I've played with the thought of concrete construction on and off for several years now and was considering the foam ICF type forms. The only problem that I could see is that the mass of the wall is between two layers of foam essentially isolating it from doing any work for me. You see, I built a passive solar home in SW Louisiana in 1985 this was a great home but still eventually needed to be air-conditioned for summer and heated for winter. And although our utility bills were very small, on the order of $45 a month. I now more fully understand why the extra air and heat were needed. There wasn't enough mass in the home to absorb and re-raditate the winter heat or to help with summer cooling.

I still want more from this next new home. The house will be on a east-west alignment and feature lots of south-facing glass. It will have scored and polished exposed concrete floors in areas that will receive the most sunlight and will use radiant tubing in the slab to heat from the bottom up. Heat rises anyhow so why not take advantage of this fact.

I hope that everyone would at least give this site a look, who knows the product may be so expensive that it's not feasible. But it sure does what I want.

Sid

durisolbuild.com

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.