movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
370 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I've already found tons of useful information on this site, and plan to continue to excavate here!
Cheryl in Gardner, KS

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Stained Concrete Floors

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 10/22/2008

I am going to be staining a lot of concrete pretty soon and wondered if anyone has any tips for me. I plan to use Kemiko. The floors around the pool will just be sealed but the rest of the floors will be waxed. I just purchased a Janilink floor buffing machine for the cleaning, wax application and future maintenance. My dealer has given me a lot of info and tips but it would be nice to hear of any possible problems to watch for.
Reply...

DCG's Forum Posts: 159

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By DCG in Lago Vista, TX on 10/27/2008

I'm interested also. We're just pouring foundation and a third of our downstairs area is spec'd to be done with stain.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 10/27/2008

Just started today - will let you know how it goes and try and post pics.

Faye
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 10/29/2008

Here's what I have learned so far - If doing a large area, check into renting a large shop vac and industrial floor machine. This will save you a great deal of time and labor. I sprayed on three different colors and then spread a thin layer of baking soda to neutralize the stain. Then I sprayed the floor with water, brushed it in with the floor machine and then sucked it up with the shop vac. The shop vac I used had a adjustable bristle brush on the front that did a great job of getting all the water off the floor. After letting it completely dry, I then went through and swept any dust left over.

Currently I am using an airless sprayer to spray on two coats of penetrating sealer. Next I am going to be adding two coats of wax and then will lightly buff it with the floor machine to give it a very high gloss. Because I am doing about 3,000 sf of flooring that will require future maintenance, I bought a multifunction floor machine through a company called Janilink. They have a site online and with all the accessories it was $900. The difference in costs between traditional floor coverings and the stained concrete allowed me to buy the machine and still save a significant amount on my floor covering budget. I have radiant in floor heat, so stained concrete is the perfect floor covering for me. It has been very easy to DIY this project - especially with the floor machine and shop vac.
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 10/30/2008

1) Any pics you can share? Stained concrete floors are beautiful, and if within the realm of DIY really opens alternatives for O-Bs, as the professionals doing this charge some pretty serious money. While my next house is many years down the road, its never too early to start thinking about it (and stained concrete is definitely a consideration).

2) What concrete finish did you start with? Broom finish, trowel finish, power trowel? I really like the look of taking that power trowel and burnishing the concrete; the blades are almost vertical, the concrete is set, you are throwing sparks everywhere. It ends up looking almost black. However you get a beautiful smooth finish on the concrete by doing this, and my understanding is that concrete this smooth doesn't stain well. From a stained concrete perspective, it is my understanding (from talking to the pros, not from direct experience) that concrete finish makes a difference. To get that good polish, perhaps wax is the better alternative?

3) Do you by any chance know if your concrete contained fly ash? Again from talking to the pros, it is my understanding that fly ash doesn't take stain. I figure it might still work, depending on the look you desire, but more data is always good if you happen to have it.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 10/31/2008

Kenneth, My concrete was hand troweled. My stain supplier said that you can use a power trowel and even showed me a floor that he had recently done. I'm not sure about the fly ash, but I know you shouldn't use a curing compound because that can cause problems with the stain absorbing.

Because this room has an indoor pool - I am adding a product called "sharkgrip" to the wax to give it a slightly rough texture for slippage reasons. I am doing the wax tomorrow, but I will include a couple of pics so you can see what the floor looks like after stain. I will also include a pic of the floor machine. I'll post again when I'm done with additional photos of the finished floor.
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 11/2/2008

Here are more updated pictures of the floor. I have now applied the wax and done a light buffing. It needs to be swept up and mopped, but I am going to cover it with paper to protect it while we finish construction. I will probably add another coat of wax and rebuff prior to move-in.
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 11/4/2008

I also wanted to let everyone know that I switched from Kemiko stain to a different brand halfway through the process. When I put on the Kemiko, it did not give good coverage and I was going to have to buy more. Their prices are pretty high, and since I still had 1,800 sf to do - I figured I needed to find a more economical solution. After doing a quick search on the Internet, I found a local supplier who was $20 a gallon less than Kemiko. I needed 20 more gallons, so this was a significant savings. I also noticed that I seemed to get better coverage from the other stain.
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 6/14/2010

Okay, 6 month update - have been living with concrete floors for 6 months and have more information for those of you considering it. I have noticed that when there is dust, it really shows and I need to stay on top of my vacuuming. If I had carpeting, it probably wouldn't be nearly as noticeable. However, moving furniture to get the dust bunnies underneath is very easy and my kids' allergies are much improved.

I also highly recommend a central-vacuum system. I use it to vacuum the floors twice a week, and I damp-mop once a week. So far, the wax finish seems to be holding up, and I'm planning on another coat in the fall unless it needs it sooner. I live in the country and my husband builds roads, so you can only imagine what gets dragged into my house! I love the low maintenance of these floors and I never have to stress worrying about stains.

Reply...

Mary's Forum Posts: 101
Journal Entries: 60
Interview Answers: 15

Private Message

Image from Mary's blog

Login to Vote

By Mary in PA on 6/15/2010

Faye, I really appreciate your taking the time to post back with ongoing info/experience. These are the types of comments that are really priceless for others (like me!) in figuring out if something they've read about but never seen is the ticket to use in their next home.
Reply...

Rich's Forum Posts: 38
Journal Entries: 18
Interview Answers: 68

Private Message

Image from Rich's blog

Login to Vote

By Rich in Suffolk, VA on 7/15/2010

Faye, thank you for the original posting and the update. As part of my planning process, I've made a point to read all of your posts and I've learned so much from all of them!

Please continue updating us on the longevity of the floor. I, too, want to do stained concrete in my house and I'm actually hoping to do the entire first floor. I figure that if we hate it, we can just lay tile on top of it later.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Reply...

Mike & Carolyn's Forum Posts: 4
Journal Entries: 3
Interview Answers: 67

Private Message

Image from Mike & Carolyn's blog

Login to Vote

By Mike & Carolyn in Amite, LA on 10/10/2011

Thanks for all the information you have provided on your stained concrete floors. My husband and I are planning on doing stained concrete on the home we are building--slab is being poured on Wednesday. I was wondering what company you switched to for the stain? What color did you use? Do you have any information on how you scored the floor? Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.