Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Nice changes to the website. Thank you!
Julie Casey

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Architect

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Glen's Forum Posts: 2
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Glen in Orange City, FL on 9/24/2007

Hello all
Does anyone know of a reasonable architect that can do some modifications to a home plan in Volusia County?

Thanks
Glen

Reply...

georg's Forum Posts: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By georg in gainesville, FL on 9/25/2007

Glen,

I don't think you need a reasonable architect, I think you need a draftsman/draftsperson. Here are some posts from Cara and Jason.  They really seem to know their stuff.  I'm going to search for more info and will post anything else I find.

Hope it helps,
georg

3/24/2006
Jason in Orlando, FL
105 posts

My Construction Website

Click to evaluate:
Evaluate This Post...
2 votes

Angela-

Custom design is great.

... I think we paid 50 cents per total sq ft for engineering. It was all part of the package

...Architects will cost more. This is why we chose a designer. Our designer was a builder for over 20 years and had more experience than most architects, plus the plans were cheaper and came completely engineered and up to code...

-Jason

3/27/2006
Jason in Orlando, FL
105 posts

My Construction Website

Click to evaluate:
Evaluate This Post...
1 votes

I looked at my contract between my designer and I. The costs are as follows. This includes everything you need to have the city put a big red APPROVED stamp on it.

All costs are per square foot under roof. A multiple story home costs more. I think the second story per square foot is an additional $.20 but only for that space on that story.

Preliminary Design Package $.50 p/sqft

Construction Documents Package $.75 p/sqft

Windload Certification Package $.20 p/sqft

Oversized plot plan $200 flat rate

Paid a $1000 non refundable retainer and started that day. I can honestly say I had no problems forking over the near $6000 payment for the completed specs. It was a pleasure to work with this company and they were so knowledgeable about EVERYTHING out there.

You can do the math from those figures above and get a total cost of the completed plans.

Their website is Orlando Design Group.

-Jason

3/23/2006
Cara in Orlando, FL
37 posts

My Construction Website

Click to evaluate:
Evaluate This Post...
3 votes

Hi Angela, we used a design company that offers design, engineering, and sealing as part of their package (they outsource the engineering and sealing). We've been working with them for about 9 months and are pretty pleased.

When we first started looking at plans, we were going to just buy one off the internet for about $1,000. Then we found out that we'd have to get it sealed locally anyways. Then we found out that we'd have to pay a ton to do ANY customization on an internet stock plan. Then we found out that internet-designed plans are not necessarily realistic, anyone can create a drawing and do basic specs- this would not be accepted by the building/permitting people, and prob wouldn't be enough info for subs.  I decided that it would probably be comparable cost-wise to have a custom design done. Plus, we could have our designer incorporate cost saving features  in the design (simple roof plan, clustered plumbing, etc.). AND we'd have a custom home that we loved! Jason took a bit of convincing.  I took him to a meeting with the designer I had in mind (Orlando Design Group -
orlandodesigngroup.com). The principal used to be a builder, so I knew he was knowledgeable. Also, he's won parade of homes awards and other recognition.

The first thing I did was give him a set of internet plans we were considering and ask him to point out design features that we could change to save money (i.e. prove to us he was worth the $$). He did this easily, and Jason was sold. We're really happy, our designer is great, and we have been allowed to go back with tweaks numerous times. Now we have submitted our FINAL changes and should be good to go within a week.

This is a really long answer to your question, though. We paid a dollar and change per square foot (under roof). It's a bit more for 2 story structures. I have our contract at home, I can spec out how the cost breaks down (design, engineering, etc.) when I get home later today.

Cara

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.