Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
406 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

These forums are so informative!!
Desirae in Atlanta, GA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

'Direct Buy'

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Lori's Forum Posts: 1
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lori in Topanga, CA on 8/19/2007

Can anyone give me feedback on using the company DirectBuy? How were their prices, inventory, brand names, etc.?

Thanks.
Reply...

Lana's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lana in Los Altos, CA on 9/8/2007

Hi Lori,

I'm a member of DirectBuy and used them for some items in my home construction. In terms of using them, I would say they have some advantages, as well as disadvantages compare with internet shopping.

Their advantage is that for SOME items you can't find viable suppliers for brand names. This is true.

On another hand, they charge about 10% handling fee, plus they do not deliver to your home, so you have to pay another delivery cost from their site to your location. Imagine that you unpacked your item in DirectBuy's warehouse to verify it is delivered defect free and after that you need to deliver it to your home. If anything happens with the item -- it is your responsibility.

Another problem I had to deal with was delivery schedule. They require at least 6-10 weeks to deliver the item to the warehouse. I ordered interior doors from them and they were much behind the schedule, which had a big impact on my construction process.

Nevertheless, they have a huge collection of brand names, and if you think carefully and do your research and comparison on the Internet, you will find that sometimes it is best to use them.

See in photos my gorgeous front (handmade) and interior doors.

Reply...

Robert's Forum Posts: 10
Journal Entries: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Robert in Encinitas, CA on 9/12/2007

I had a client who signed up for DirectBuy at the time he began building his home. They did have the least expensive items on some products -- such as windows and doors. It wasn't drastically cheaper than other places, but still a savings.

Where he ran into an issue was when ordering his tub. It needed to be installed so he could pass his combo inspection. Well, the two-week lead time turned into four weeks, then six, and eventually eight. DirectBuy was not able to provide any assistance in the matter.

Eventually, he canceled the order (after losing eight weeks) and bought a different tub at Home Depot. This is just one example, but with anything there will always be pros and cons.

Reply...

Kristi's Forum Posts: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kristi in Temecula, CA on 10/3/2007

We joined DB about six months ago. Some things are WAY cheaper, such as blinds. Other things you need to watch, such as tankless water heaters. We found tankless water heaters less expensive elsewhere. Our Whirlpool tub was much less expensive than a local vendor and we didn't have a problem with delivery time. We used their kitchen designer (about five meetings) for $300. The cabinets retailed for over $100K and their price was about a third of that. I shop for everything and found similar cabs on the Web for less. What really sealed it for me was the 8% delivery charge, 8% shipping charge and finally sales tax from DirectBuy. Needless to say, I ordered them online.

I've ordered bedroom furniture that was half retail price and I'm going to order my lighting fixtures and possibly buy tile and use their granite guy (who is CHEAP!!) One thing that is important to me that I've felt let down on is the time constraints. Their aluminum-clad windows (a very good brand) were significantly less expensive than JELD-WEN -- same thing. It took them too long to get the bid to me and I bought them locally. I would have saved about $10K.
Reply...

Pierre's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Pierre in SAUSALITO, CA on 10/8/2007

Hi Lori,

I have never used this company, and I wanted to before I read up on it on the Web.

Sounds like a scam.

Pierre

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kristi in Temecula, CA on 10/8/2007

I had decided not to join DB after reading negative feedback all over the Web. They made me upset with their "sales meeting" tactics. I had to attend with my husband. I didn't feel like I needed to go with my husband, since I could make the decision independently. What changed my mind was that I have consistently asked numerous questions of people who are building homes. One woman I know unsolicited told me I needed to join DB; that she and her husband had saved a ton of money. I tried to keep an open mind, I did my research and came armed with as much info as I could. I figured it out and decided it was worth the try, even though the amount to join is sickening. We are going to spend enough there to make it worth it. It's not for everyone. I personally like the experience.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kristi in Temecula, CA on 12/1/2007

Update on the cabinets. Should have gone with DirectBuy cabinets. The quality of their cabinets was far superior to the ones I bought online. I posted a review on product reviews here. I am very sorry now. Also, DB in Palm Desert has different upscale appliances that the one in Corona doesn't have.
Reply...

Linda's Forum Posts: 11
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 10

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Linda in Fresno, CA on 5/29/2008

DirectBuy is interesting. You are correct, they are cheap in some areas such as cabinets, lighting, furniture, and some flooring. On flooring what I found to be good is to ask for the local supplier's address to go direct to the store. In the store many suppliers have bigger selections and will give you the DirectBuy price even on clearance items. No delivery charge when you pick it up from the actual store. Also on some of their products, if you buy enough they will deliver for free.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.