movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

We are about two years away from breaking ground, but I wanted to be as thorough and detailed in my research and selection process over the next two years and your site will help me tremendously!
Melissa P., North Carolina

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Hawaii cost/sf

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Guy's Forum Posts: 64
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 6/4/2007

I just met with a fellow Hawaiian owner-builder who also owns a lumberyard in California.  If anyone can get lumber and materials cheaply, he can.  However, after factoring in the cost to ship and fumigation costs + transportation to his lot he decided it was better to buy framing lumber and plywood at Home Depot and Lowe's on the Big Island. We just got a brochure from a builder stating that home construction ranges from $400-$800/sf now! I guess we could have him build us a doghouse to live in at that price.  Aloha, Guy.

Reply...

Jon's Forum Posts: 9
Interview Answers: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jon in Ventura, CA on 7/5/2007

Aloha Guy,

Good to see you are still at it! I am the guy from Ventura CA. I am still working on the Hawaii dream as well... I just got my first construction loan distribution deposited into my account this week, and am headed to Hawaii next Wednesday to start construction. I don't know what the contractors are charging on the Kona side, but that seems awful steep!When all is said and done, it will cost me $115/sf to build my home on the Hilo side. That includes the land!

I will be on the island for the next several months as I build, so if you have questions that I can help answer from the Hawaii side, shoot me an email!

BTW... Here is a pic of my future home. Takes some vision... :-)

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jon in Ventura, CA on 7/5/2007

BTW ... I would still be willing to discuss sharing a 40' container if you are interested. I got a door-to-door quote for $7,500. I will probably not be sending for another 4-6 months though.
Reply...

Paul's Forum Posts: 1
Interview Answers: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Paul in Phoenix, AZ on 9/15/2007

That cost is way off. I was on the Big Island in August and interviewed some builders for a project in South Kona. For example I saw one project that came in at about $180/sf for construction exclusive of land, excavation, and catchment water system. It was a luxury home under construction and the GC showed me his charges for the project which is going to be a really nice custom home.

I met with another builder who estimated around $175-$200 per square foot for a custom project, not counting land, which as you know is expensive there. I stayed in a home he built while I was there in 2006, nice finishes, with exotic hardwoods throughout and super well built. He told me that cost the owners about $175/sf. The home designer I spoke with said for about $250/sf you can do a really nice custom home built by a GC. Super luxury high end will just depend on your finishes, but if you aren't building a waterfront home in a luxury gated community, I think you can do well for a lot less based on the info I obtained.

If anyone has any good contacts on the Big Island, I would be grateful for the info as I embark on our project. Probably have to contract it out as I can't be on site, but looking for more a construction manager as opposed to a GC. 

Thanks,

Paul

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 10/10/2007

Aloha!  I've been away for awhile pursuing a career in mortgage lending (talk about timing!  It's like winning tickets onto the Titanic!)  Anyway it's great to hear your plans for construction on the Big Island are moving along.  We will be back in December to keep moving forward, but don't anticipate building until 2010 and hope construction costs will be a lot less then.  I recommend contacting Rob Tucker in Hilo at castleblock.com for some alternative construction methods.  He told me he was a master carpenter back east and in Ventura, CA, but prefers to use SIP panels with Durock facing now.  I haven't contacted him in quite awhile, but his website is still up. 

Paul, I'd love to get the names of the Kona builders you met with.  P.M. me.  Good luck to us all on our projects.  I will start posting drawings of our house design as I get them produced.  We are going for a modern Case Study type home with lots of open glass which tends to push the envelope of costs since it requires extreme precision in assemblies and so few wood butchers work with cabinetry/casework level tolerances.  Any suggestions on how to get such fine tolerances affordably are appreciated.  Mahalo, Guy.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 10/10/2007

Jon, thanks for the offer.  We won't be shipping for a couple of years, especially now that the economy and my income have taken a big hit.  The only bright side is that by the time we build in +/- 2010 costs should be lower.  I want to ship over a small Toyota truck first and try to buy a fixer-upper so let me know if you hear of any good deals.  Aloha, Guy.

Reply...

Mitch's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mitch in Hilo, HI on 11/18/2007

Aloha Guy,

You may want to speak to Tony Vidana at Vidana construction.  He is a pretty good contractor that use to be in Hilo but moved to Kona about a year ago.  Another good Kona contractor is Steve Winn.  Hope this helps.

Mitch

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 11/18/2007

Thanks Mitch, can you PM me the contractor's phone numbers if you have them.  I am also in touch with Rob Tucker at Castleblock in Pahoa.  He imports sips and Rastrawall if you're interested in green construction.  I'm looking at every methodology possible to be ecological and cost-effective since we're lucky enough to be building in paradise in the middle of the Pacific.  Good luck on your build and mahalo.

Reply...

Jim's Forum Posts: 1
Interview Answers: 15

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim in Kaneohe, HI on 12/14/2007

Guy,

It sounds like the builder is including land costs too. The SF in the other posts seem correct to me. Generally speaking you cannot expect anything below $150/SF for new construction and $180/SF for renovation work. Of course the materials used and remoteness of some BI locations would increase these a bit as well.

Regarding shipping containers from the mainland, one thing to consider is that generally speaking the quality of the materials will be slightly higher than what you will pick-up locally.

Aloha and good luck with your project.

Jim

ownerbuiltdesigns.com

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 12/14/2007

Wow Jim, you do great looking work!  I take it you are on Oahu?  We just got back from Big Island last weekend.  I met Jon (another O-Ber) and saw his house on Big Island.  He got the shell up and is going forward with interiors.  He bought a kit from Hawaii Package Homes and gave us a tour.  I found out we could probably build in Kohala for about $30/sf  for the shell using Castleblock's product line, so that was very encouraging. We really miss Hawaii now that we're on the mainland.  Hope you weren't affected much by the huge storms last week.  Mahalo for the posting and kudos on your website and projects!  Here's a pic of our lot and footprint layout.

Guy

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jon in Ventura, CA on 12/15/2007

Hi Guy,

I just got back to California last night. It was good to meet you while you were in Hawaii. That pic of your land is beautiful. Great views. I would love to stop by and see it sometime while you are on the island. My project is hopping right along. The last thing I did before I left was to manually heft those big ol' glue-lam beams into place... whew! Those things are not light. especially when balancing them on one shoulder while perched on a ladder 32 feet up in the air!

I hated to leave my project to come back home for Christmas, but my guys should have plenty of work to keep them busy while I am gone.

I know that things are more expensive where you are building, but construction is slowed down on the Big Island right now and you can hire a crew for less money than before.

Contractor bids I took also came in at around $150/sf exclusive of land. Doing it myself however, I am still on track to finish my home for under $125/sf, including the land. That means that if everything continues to go as planned, the actual cost of building will be just under $100/sf. (This does not include the pool, outdoor cooking area, or concrete driveway) 

Here is my rough projection from before I started

Item Description Total Project Costs 
0 Land $68,000
101 Architect, Engineering, & Fees $7,500
103 Permits - City/County $150
201 Temporary Utilities & Facilities $1,000
204 Equipment Rental $2,400
206 Project Mgmt/Supervision $15,000
302 Clearing/Stakeout $3,000
303 Rough Grading/Shoring/Excavation/Fill $5,000
304 Retaining walls/Waterproof/Backfill $3,000
306 Private Septic System $8,500
308 Water catchment tank/system $11,000
401 Embedded Hardware $2,500
402 Ground Plumbing $6,000
403 Ground Mechanical $2,500
404 Ground Electrical $5,250
407 Concrete Slab poured - house/garage $6,000
498 Other Foundation $12,000
505 Home Package - lumber / roof / windows / doors / drywall / cabinets / finish plumbing and electric / paint. $63,000
507 Rough Framing - Labor $30,000
508 Drywall - Labor $7,000
509 Plumbing Top-out $6,200
511 Rough Electrical $6,000
601 Waterproof decks, Shower Pans $2,500
602 Gutter, Downspout, Sheet metal $2,500
614 Exterior Painting $8,000
701 Insulation $2,000
708 Finish Carpentry $8,000
801 Countertops $5,000
803 Interior Painting / Wall Coverings $5,000
804 Hard Surface Finish Flooring $3,000
805 Carpeting $2,500
806 Built-in Appliances $4,000
813 Finish Electrical* $3,000
1002 Contingency $7,500
Total Cost: $322,000
Total sf:   2,625 Cost/sf:           $122.67

When compared to what my actual costs have been thus far, (with a few exceptions) I am sticking pretty close to my projected cost.

Here is a pic of my home so far.

Best regards!

Jon

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA on 12/16/2007

Hey Jon,  it was great touring your house and meeting you!  The book I wanted to recommend to you is Rob Thallon's Graphic Guide to Interior Details by Taunton Press.  It's a great book for O-Bs as well as draftsmen like me.  I found out that my lumberyard buddy here bought his $13K lots in Nanawale and they're only about 1/4 acre each, but he prefers the "safety" of having an established community there.  Still, my brother-in-law from Pahoa thinks that is a less desirable area.  We are still working on our floor plan and your breakdown of costs is awesome.  You should offer that service to all the O-Bs here.  I talked with another O-B building in Kohala Ranch and he figures his costs will be around $200/sf, but he is going high end.  He said he can give me some recommendations on subs when we're ready, too.  Hope you have a great holiday visit and keep in touch and keep posting photos of your progress.  Mahalo and Mele Kalikimaka.

Guy and Joyce

Reply...

George's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By George in Hilo, HI on 5/6/2009

Hi Jon:

I am in the final stages of design for our home in Papaikou.

Do you have any recommendations of general contractor, subs, and suppliers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Reply...

chelsea's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By chelsea in waikoloa, HI on 5/12/2009

Sorry I no longer live on the island, but I would avoid Coastal Construction as they tend to cut corners, so to speak. No, I don't know a specific general contractor, however, I would recommend Jake Harris and some others. His is the only name I can recall at the moment. He lives near Kailua-Kona. He's not a general contractor, but he's a good carpenter and works very hard and is a good person. He also can tell you some further news with regard to who's a good contractor, and who does quality work, and other great carpenters to hire. His number is (808) 938-2479 unless he changed it. Oh, and he lives on the Big Island. I hope this helps.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.