movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
352 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I, for one, REALLY appreciate everything everyone on here has been teaching me through documenting their experiences.
Grant in Jacksonville, AL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Dumbwaiter Install

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

troy's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By troy in mesa, AZ on 6/1/2007

We are building a home in Mesa, AZ and have plans to put in a dumbwaiter to deliver laundry to/from the laundry room on the main floor to the basement and/or second floor.

After much research we've settled on the Jeeves 125 24x24x24 from Nationwide Lifts (nwlifts.com).

However we'd appreciate any recommendations/experience with residential dumbwaiter models.

Our dilemma deals with the installation of the dumbwaiter. The manufacturer will sell me a complete do-it-yourself materials and kit for right around $5,000 but would want $10,000 for an installed price. Doubling the price for what is supposed to be a simple installation is hard for me to stomach especially when they claim the install can be done in 8 hours and if you've ever installed a garage door you'll have no problem installing the dumbwaiter. They also provide telephone support free of charge.

Am I out of line for considering this highway robbery?  :)

The other snafu is technically Arizona Revised Statutes dictate that every elevator and dumbwaiter must be installed by a licensed elevator contractor and inspected by the Industrial Commission of Arizona (ICA). When I spoke with the head elevator inspector at ICA, he naturally indicated that I should have it installed by a licensed elevator contractor and inspected by his office but stopped short of indicating that I MUST do so. The response for dumbwaiter manufacturers has been all over the map from it's not required to it must be done.

Another point of frustrations is that in several bids from local elevator contractors they have a $500 line item for permits and inspection. The ICA head elevator inspector informed me that his office charges nothing for the permit or the inspection!

As I see it I have three options:

1. Hire a licensed elevator contractor and pay double the material cost to have the dumbwaiter installed and inspected per statutes.

2. Buy the materials myself direct from the manufacturer, sub out the install to a local licensed elevator installer or install it myself and handle the permit and inspection myself.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for licensed elevator contractors.

3. Install a laundry chute with the exact dimensions and rough-in requirements for the dumbwaiter and install it myself after certificate of occupancy.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you and great site!

Troy

Reply...

Dan's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dan on 6/16/2007

Troy,

US$5,000 for installation seems excessive. We are looking at equipping our new home with a four-stop unit, and I am budgeting C$1,000 for the installation. This is after preparation of the hoistway and provision of an electrical supply.

We live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and we have lots of rules and regulations to 'guide' us. Much to my surprise though, there are no specific rules for residential elevating devices. Our City planning department said they would review whatever we submitted, but as long as the design was certified to meet some standard (e.g. ASME, UL), they would accept it.

I also found huge disparity in quotes. Local firms (with one exception) that would supply and install the dumbwaiter, wanted twice as much as firms that would ship the product to us. I think they just didn't want to be bothered.

Options 2 and 3 seem to be the most viable. Option 1 is not appealing.

Dan

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.