movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
354 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
406 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

We're just getting started in the owner-builder process so we're still greenhorns but learning a LOT!!!  This book has been very enlightening and inspiring.
Lee in Schertz, TX

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Metal roofing

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

2006, 2010 Merit Award Winner

David's Forum Posts: 227
Journal Entries: 11

Private Message

My Construction Website

David's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Ocoee, FL on 8/24/2006

Some folks have been kicking around the idea of using a metal roof on their home as opposed to the traditional fiberglass (asphalt) 3 tab shingle. Those who have considered it tend to be OBers who will be living in their homes for a long time as opposed to those who are building as an investment.

A few advantages to metal roofing: If installed properly by a qualified metal roofer, you will have a trouble free roof for many, many years to come. While the upfront cost is double the cost of a premium fiberglass shingle, the longevity is also double, at least. Where the two systems (fiberglass vs metal) differ is in the way they are "locked down" to the roof deck, something that is very important when a hurricane approaches.

The fiberglass shingle uses a strip of adhesive on its leading edge that is heat activated. The wind rating of the shingle is heavily dependent upon the quality of that bond. The metal roof is physically locked in place by means of fasteners (screws). Most metal roofs use a concealed fastener, whereas the leading or loose edge of one metal tile or section (in the case of standing seam) is locked into the spot where the adjacent tile or section is fastened to the roof deck. (see illustration)

Another advantage is that metal roofs reflect heat better than fiberglass shingles. If battens are used to fasten the roof panels, the airspace below the metal becomes an insulator. Or rigid foam insulation can be installed between the battens for even greater insulating value.

One more feature of metal roofs is that they add aesthetic value to a home in a way that fiberglass shingles can not. For example, a Key West style home done in the traditional manner looks great with standing seam metal roofing. I am considering building an authentic Cape Cod with metal roof tiles that simulate cedar shakes. I know, I have changed my mind several times on my choice of design and roofing, but hey, its fun!  Anyway, the point is that metal roofs have something to offer that fiberglass shingles do not. Unfortunately, economy is not one of them.

Here are a few links to some metal roof manufacturers. The manufacturer will be more than happy to provide you with a list of installers in your area:

classicroof.com

edcoproducts.com

follansbeeroofing.com

englertinc.com

aboutmetalroofs.com

This last link is a sort of gathering place for many metal roof manufacturers. You may be able to find more useful links there.

Enjoy!

Reply...

Phillip's Forum Posts: 77

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Tampa, FL on 8/28/2006

We have some decorative roofing on our home which is supposed to be copper standing-seam, but I haven't been able to find any with Florida approval codes. I did find some copper shingles that were approved, but I'd prefer the look of the standing-seam if I can find it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Reply...

Randy's Forum Posts: 54
Journal Entries: 3
Interview Answers: 99

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Randy's blog

Login to Vote

By Randy in PB, FL on 8/28/2006

Hopefully i'm not wrong, but here in Palm Bay we're not required to find a product in the FPA database for metal. Shingles, yes! Metal, no. I'd like to add that I've seen cut to length delivery (I.e., install it yourself). Anyone know a cut-to-length service? I'm planning to use ordinary 5V crimp (can't see my roof very well anyway)

Randy

Reply...

2006, 2010 Merit Award Winner

David's Forum Posts: 227
Journal Entries: 11

Private Message

My Construction Website

David's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Ocoee, FL on 8/28/2006

Phillip,

Englert
englertinc.com

5110 Causeway Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33619
Branch Manager: Bill Tompkins
Administrator:Junio Almonte

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.