movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
352 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

LOVE this site!  Almost done reading up the books and getting TONS of ideas!
Patty in Vero Beach, FL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Kitchen plans????

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Marsha's Forum Posts: 36

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marsha in Frankfort, KY on 4/11/2006

Well, I met with the kitchen designer at Lowe's yesterday and was somewhat disappointed. I took lots of pictures to her and told her what I wanted, but feel like she just plugged a "cookie cutter" kitchen into my space. I think I could design a better one myself, but of course have no experience. I was wondering what others had done. We really want to make a trip to the KraftMaid outlet. Has anyone else designed their own? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Marsha
Reply...

Bren's Forum Posts: 17

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bren in Western, NY on 4/11/2006

Marsha,

Pretty much had the same experience at Home Depot and another local retailer who has put tremendous sales pressure on me. We have used the KraftMaid layout planner and the plans from Home Depot and kind of come up with our own thing. I really want to go the KraftMaid outlet, but dear hubby is very hesitant. He keeps looking online at stuff on eBay from there and a lot of it is damaged, and he is like "I don't want scratched dented cabinets in our new home".

He is also afraid that we will get started and it will take forever to gather the whole kitchen. It is a four-hour trip there for us - so he is just afraid it will take 10 visits and not be what we really wanted. Would love some advice from those who have been there often as to how to go about planning and how long it took you to do your whole kitchen. Do you just have a list of base sizes, wall sizes and then go and see what you find? Or should we know the exact cabinets we are looking for? Thanks!

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 4/11/2006

We had the same experience at Home Depot. The KD is nothing more than a cabinet salesperson. We spent about four hours with her, got the estimate, and took it to the bank as we were only interested in securing the loan and getting the catalog and price lists.

With a catalog of different ideas and a couple of books courtesy of the library, we designed our own kitchen and took the ideas to a custom cabinet shop.  Meryl (cabinetmaker) took our ideas, suggested some of his own based on what he is making and installing in some high-end houses, and we ended up with a great kitchen that is far superior to what we would have gotten from the so-called KD. You really need to think in terms of how you want your kitchen to flow, how many cooks, your cooking style, how you break down tasks, etc. I would have been willing to pay someone for this service as there are so many things to consider (e.g. did you know right-handed people prefer the dishwasher to the left of the sink, and left handed people prefer the dishwasher to the right of the sink - I didn't?), but all of the KDs around here are interested in nothing more than selling cabinets. 

If you design your own kitchen, I would seriously question the current design philosophy about the design triangle and focus instead on how you use a kitchen. You will notice that most high-performance commercial kitchens are not designed around a triangle. We disregarded the triangle concept and focused more on workstations, what we intended to accomplish with each workstation, and made sure we had the cabinets and adequate countertop to support this concept.

Reply...

P's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 44

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By P in North, FL on 4/11/2006

There are a few free kitchen design programs out there. Some people say they are pretty good.

You may want to check this one out:

download.com/ALNO-Kitchen-Planner

Reply...

Sybil's Forum Posts: 27
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sybil in Leominster, MA on 4/24/2006

I'm a little "obsessed" with kitchen design. Before opting for our final plan, I would take stock home plans and lay out the kitchen for every one of them. We chose our house plan after I was pleased that I could have the kitchen of my dreams in it. For me, designing my own kitchen is the only way to go. Forget the work triangle, think of what will make your kitchen most enjoyable for you.

KraftMaid, Merillat, Thomasville, etc. have pdf files of their stock cabinetry online. Remembering that stock cabinets come in 3" increments makes it fairly easy to design your own.

I "cheat" when I first design any space with cabinetry. I use 1/4" graph paper with 1/2"=1'. When I'm pleased with the layout, then I'll hand draw it to scale to work out trimwork, molding, etc. 

I've gone so far as to make a list of what I plan to store in each cabinet. It has helped me decide what accessories such as pull-out shelves or knife drawer inserts I would like in each. 

Any of the home design software out there includes kitchen design capabilities in it. I prefer Broderbund's 3D Home Interiors for kitchen design. It was one of those cheap software programs I was able to get for just S+H. It prints decent lateral views and can print to scale. I've used this program to note the changes to cabinetry - and mostly appliance/plumbing placement - in my blueprint.

We have gotten the majority of our cabinets from the KraftMaid warehouse in Ohio. It is a good idea to be flexible. For instance, I needed two 30" wall cabinets, but they only had one. So we substituted two 15" cabinets instead. Bring a list and a sketch and you should be fine.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.