movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I appreciate your free hosting of our weblog.
Brian H.

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Other Sites?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Alana's Forum Posts: 22

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Alana in Manassas, VA on 2/2/2001

Are there other sites out there similar to this one? Owner-builder bulletin boards, etc.? It would be so helpful to compare notes with other owner-builders on everything from central vac systems to windows to lighting fixtures. Thanks.
Reply...

M. Project's Forum Posts: 11

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By M. Project on 2/13/2001

We're it. I'm in the same boat. I start breaking ground in April.
Reply...

Alpen's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Alpen in NJ on 8/18/2001

Would like to speak with you concerning the aquisition of land from a subdevelopement and being my own GC. Thank you.
Reply...

Bruce's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bruce in Durango, CO on 8/21/2001

The best building site I've seen, though not strictly an owner-builder site, is at finehomebuilding.com. Some of the members have a pretty high opinion of their own skills and opinions, but you can sift through them quickly. I've found members who have been very generous with their time and opinions about specific questions. Definitely worth a look. Be sure to check out the names of all the folders and sub-folders, and post you message in the appropriate place. Too many people there have posted in the incorrect category, where it might not get read by the right people.
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Alana in Manassas, VA on 8/21/2001

Thanks, Bruce. I love Fine Homebuilding and anxiously await each new issue as it comes off the shelves at my public library. I've been reading FHB for years and have visited "Breaktime"' occasionally. I have found though, that my posts there did not receive much response. I thought it was perhaps because they listed me as "guest" since I don't actually have a subscription to the magazine. Perhaps not. Anyway, I will try again. Thanks for the encouragement. alana
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Alana in Manassas, VA on 8/21/2001

Oops, wanted to also mention Journal of Light Construction's site as very interesting. It doesn't get near as much traffic as FHB but has excellent downloadable articles. alana
Reply...

Earnie's Forum Posts: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Earnie in ID on 7/21/2002

This is what I call the "I before E" rule. When my son was young and we were trying to help him with his spelling I told him there were two ways to get a 100% on his spelling tests one was to memorize all the words and the other was to learn the rules and follow them. Now what does that have to do with building houses? And Owner-Builders? I have a copy of The Owner-Builder Book that I call the "rule book." One of the items in the "rule book" is to learn from your fellow builders. From their triumphs and their mistakes. Last Friday we walked out on a lot closing. There was this small note about an ACHD easement that ran 20 feet along one side of the property. The realtor had told us that this was an easement for the pressurized irrigation that would not pose any problem. At closing we found out that this was not a water line, but a 24-inch storm drain for the development and the 20 foot easement was for "heavy maintenance" and could not be planted on other than grass or fenced. This could have been more than disastrous as our house has a full basement less than 10 feet from the easement boundary and the last thing we would need is a potential leaking storm drain.

Further investigation revealed that for a $200 application fee they would evaluate whether or not it could be fenced as part of the yard. What does all this have to do with spelling rules? I obtained the knowledge to ask the question and reconfirm the information from the Taylor house example which the "rule book" (The Owner-Builder Book) told me to do. The score is Owner-Builder --One; Developer and Real Estate Agents --Zero. Another "I before E" rule is set a budget and do your best to stay within it. When we started this journey we set a budget of $500 for informational publications such as The Owner-Builder Book. We have expended that part of the budget therefore it is time to build a house. We do have another lot that is our second choice to pursue and we have already applied for a building permit that takes about 3-4 weeks in this part of the country. Any and all encouragement and tips are welcomed. Lotless in Boise

Reply...

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 15

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Clarence, NY on 1/29/2003

infoforbuilding.com also has an owner-builder user forum. I found this site has some good info as well. It covers EVERY PHASE of the construction process, with some good instruction (although not nearly as good as Mark's book -it does give some add'l. useful insight). There are plenty of free downloads for you to use and other docs you can purchase, if desired ($$$). There is a sample preconstruction schedule and other useful docs.

Reply...

Jacklyn's Forum Posts: 15

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jacklyn in Hillsdale, MI on 8/15/2003

You may want to try thathomesite.com. Go to forums section and click on "building a home". I really love that site and check on it almost every day.
Reply...

Denise's Forum Posts: 30

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Denise in Elk Grove, CA on 8/17/2003

Check out gardenweb.com/forums/build/ I love the forum. I have gotten so much info from the people who post.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.