Port-Townsend-Build Sherman Oaks, CA
453 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Sally0.001

-really enjoying the website...
dana fritzinger

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Sending out Plans/Blueprints

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Bonnie's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bonnie in Apex, NC on 3/3/2005

Hi all.

I've been browsing the Forum for quite a while. I have seen and heard the stories of the problems folks have had getting their plans back from subs they've loaned them to for bids.  The O-B Book recommended setting up a room in your house for subs to come and review plans, but I don't have the space for that in my current home. I've also heard of O-B's shrinking their plans down to 11x17 and mailing them to potential subs.

My plans have a huge stamp on them asking people to call a 1-800 number if he/she thinks it's an illegal copy. Here's my question: Does anyone know if copyright laws still apply if the plans are changed to meet local building code? My husband is a structural engineer and even though he designs bridges, not houses, he's planning on upgrading the plans and sealing them himself. I don't want to break any laws, but at the same time, don't want to spend an extra $1,000 on additional sets of plans. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Bonnie

Reply...

Heather's Forum Posts: 53
Interview Answers: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Heather in Baton Rouge, LA on 3/4/2005

Our designer printed three sets of plans when we finalized our plans. Then we got his permission (verbally was fine with the copy store) to make more copies of the floor plan and outside pages. Then we had several copies to pass out/leave with the contractors.

This worked fine for us - my husband and I each had a complete set that we carried around and then we had spares to pass out!

Reply...

Mark's Forum Posts: 118

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mark in Los Angeles, CA on 3/4/2005

You paid for them--you own them. You're free to do with them as you wish. However, you cannot sell them.

Make as many copies as you like. Just don't sell them.

Good luck.

Reply...

P's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 44

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By P in North, FL on 3/4/2005

Be sure that you have the right to make copies. Ask your designer/architect or look over your contract to see who is the copyright holder and how much copying is allowed.

Blueprints are protected under copyright laws. Even if you don't mean to sell them, it does not mean you can copy them. Be safe, not sorry.

I know of one person (a real jerk) who copied blueprints. His agreement with the architect gave him 8 (I think) copies. He printed up many more and used them for bids, etc. The architect found out when someone showed him the plans. The architect sued the guy. The architect won an additional $8,500 plus additional damages.

I don't know what your situation is, just double-check.

Reply...

Danny's Forum Posts: 14

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Danny in Livermore, CA on 3/5/2005

You're absolutely correct that the blueprints/plans are protected under the copyright law. Some of the copying companies in my area actually have posted that it is illegal to copy a set of plans w/o authorization from the architect or draftsman. The fine is $100,000 and some jail time. I'm a building designer/draftsman and I offer the homeowner (for an additional fee) a set of plans on an Acrobat PDF file. This way they can put them on their website for the contractors to view and bid on the project.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 3/7/2005

My architect gave us permission to make as many copies as we wished, even gave us his account at the blueprint shop so we could make them cheap. However he also required the blueprint shop to charge us and not allow us to bill them to his account ;-).

Anyway, having a bunch of plans to hand out is preferable to calling and trying to get your plans back. Some trades only got minis (11x17), some got full size. There was one day I handed out over 30 sets of plans, I bet out of those I only got a handful back. No problems, a full size set from the blueprint shop was only a couple of dollars.

One thing we did have problems with all of these plans was keeping track of changes. For example, we made some changes to the window order, and made some changes to the ICF subcontractor's plans to reflect this. However the ICF subcontractor ended up with a different set of plans without the changes. For some reason, I picked up a new set from the house too. When the window came in, it was 1' too large for the concrete opening - enter the gas-powered chop saw.

Reply...

Kari's Forum Posts: 61
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kari in Colbert, WA on 3/7/2005

We bought reproducibles (erasable originals) for a bit more money - almost all plan/designers sell these - it gives us permission to copy as many for our own use as we want and the ability to have someone else change the plans if we want (and not having to redraw, which was handy for ICF modification) without infringing on any copyright laws.

Our local blueprint place charges $1 a page for us to copy vs. the $2 page the designer charged - and our blueprint place also put our plans on .tif and Adobe files on CD for $29 so our plans are online now for those out of area bids. Also we have our address and a Mapquest page for subs to find our property. It has been handy.
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 3/7/2005

I started out keeping a log and tracking every set of blueprints - then I realized I was spending so much time nagging and chasing plans, I gave up. 

A big advantage to designing your own plans, instead of buying internet plans, is that often you can get the drawings. My contract with my designer stipulated that I owned the plans. I got plot files and AutoCAD drawings, and that it couldn't be reproduced without MY permission. Kinda turns the tables a bit. I paid ~ $1.20 per finished square foot to turn my plans (done in Home Designer) into plans to take to the building department. See the other plans threads; I'd have done them myself if I had realized how easy the building department was to work with. When my designer was done, I got a full set of plot files to take down to the blueprint place, and a full set of AutoCAD files for my own future editing.

Anyway, I digress. I evolved to where I would only print 3-7 sets of plans, and I would tailor the set, i.e. the mechanical guys didn't need sheets with details on trim or cabinetry, etc.

As construction progressed, I began updating my drawings in AutoCAD, so that the drawings would reflect as-built conditions, and that eliminated any mess-ups - Of course, I did also involve a concrete saw on a window opening before I started doing this... :) 

Not sure about the best way, but hopefully these ideas will help.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2019 Consensus Group Inc.