movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Hi everyone! I'm a newbee, and have read tons of posts already! You are all such a great resource! We will be building the home ourselves with very little outside help.
Claudia in Glendale, AZ

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Radiant floor heating suppliers?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Marsha's Forum Posts: 36

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marsha in Frankfort, KY on 2/20/2005

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on radiant floor heating suppliers? My husband believes he can do the installation but we are wondering about the best place to buy the supplies?
Reply...

Richard's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Richard in Apo, VA on 2/21/2005

Radiantec.com

I'm using them for my house. They did a complete workup for me and gave me a quote.

You can install it yourself. The biggest cost will be the water heater. They supply a Polaris with their system for about $2,300.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 2/21/2005

Check with your local plumbing supply house -- Often they have the software for design and will sell you a package for a great price, with local service.

There are also many internet sites, including radiantdirect.com, radiantec.com, etc. I would caution you to look closely at all of these - There is a BIG difference in the designs of the system. There are some things that I would avoid (some are because of codes, some are because of energy transfer). I bought my package from an internet vendor, and am very happy with it, but I did see a lot of variety in the solutions and components.

1) Open systems -- If your radiant supplier cannot put together a good closed-loop system (each heat exchanger that they add will drop your efficiency) I'd keep looking. My code expressly forbids open-loop systems and hot water heaters.

2) Circulators -- Some systems are designed to use a pump for each zone, others use valves. Each pump takes electricity to run, so your overall energy efficiency will drop. Look for a system with a minimum of pumps -- Obviously, you need circulators, and the quantity will vary with the number of zones, but a circulator per zone can get expensive and use a lot of electricity.

Reply...

Mark's Forum Posts: 118

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mark in Los Angeles, CA on 2/21/2005

I checked with Radiantec. You can definitely use a tankless water heater with their systems. But, will your building codes allow it? I don't know. Check with them. If they will you can save lots of money using one rather than a boiler. If the boiler price above is correct, you could save about $1,750.

Good luck.

Reply...

Richard's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Richard in Apo, VA on 2/21/2005

I talked to them, and a couple others, about a tankless system. They all said the same - that you could use it, but they didn’t recommend it.

The main reason was that with a tankless it would have to run all the time to keep the water up to temp unless you add a storage tank. Munchkin makes a setup that would work well, but the price is more than the Polaris water heater.

From everything I have read, you need a 100,000+ BTU unit to make the system work right. (I’m looking at heating a 2,300 SF house.) Also you need to look at the GPH heating on the system. You get a lot of flow through that system. The Polaris does 130 GPH. It comes down to the fact that you can’t use a normal water heater or the normal inline heater to run the system.

Which tankless did you look at? Because if it meets the above outputs you could add a storage tank for about $600 and have a complete system (the heating part) for about $1,200. The Munchkin inline that would work runs about $1,800 - $2,000 without the tank.

Reply...

Sherry's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sherry in CO on 2/24/2005

Try arit.com, they have some really neat products.
Reply...

Judy's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Judy in St. George, UT on 2/25/2009

Thanks for your information.  I plan to start building in the next month, and when I talked to a solar installer, he said that radiant floors heated by solar panels would cost around $60,000!!  I went online and found Radiantec, which would be a fraction of that price, but I am interested in other companies as well, so that I can be sure to get the best deal.  Southern Utah has so much sun that I will have a 100% solar heated house, as well as domestic hot water.  Judy

Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 2/26/2009

Marsha, When I first started doing my research several years ago, I looked at them all including Radiantec. I just finished my radiant heat, and I used Mountainview Supply. They have an online catalog but the best thing was the customer service. The guy who ALWAYS answers the phone is Cale and he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. My home has over 6,000 sf of tubing and four zones. All the materials w/o the heat source were roughly $8K. That price blew away all competition. So far I am 110% satisfied. If you talk to Cale, tell him Faye said "Hi."
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.