movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
354 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
406 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I feel fortunate for the few important lessons I've learned from OwnerBuilderBook.com, and look forward to our next construction project going much more smoothly with greater confidence in handling the unexpected that will surely arise...
Michael in Port Neches, TC

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

James Hardie raising prices

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Editor

Jeff's Forum Posts: 149
Interview Answers: 212

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 1/26/2005

Most lumber prices go up between now and the end of March... If you are going to be building soon, try to lock in your prices at the local lumberyard.
Reply...

Joe's Forum Posts: 22

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Joe in Cincinnati, OH on 1/27/2005

If you are not quite ready to order at this time, some suppliers will take a deposit and freeze prices for possibly 60 to 90 days. Good luck on being able to lock prices any farther out than that. There are just to many unforeseeable variables out there for them to do more. By all means if a disaster happens somewhere and you are not locked in, move in a hurry because I have seen prices double on some things. Plywood and OSB are the first two items that usually skyrocket.
Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 1/27/2005

I was planning on ordering in the next few weeks anyway. It takes 4-6 weeks to come in because I am getting the redwood and they are custom staining the corner trim for me.
Reply...

Phillip's Forum Posts: 18

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Arlington Heights, IL on 1/27/2005

Hi Faye, I am not familiar with James Hardie. Are they one of the best places to get lumber in Illinois? Based on some of these threads I was thinking of getting lumber quotes from Home Depot and Menards in the Northwest Suburbs here. Thanks, Phil
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 1/27/2005

Phil, James Hardie makes cement siding products. I am buying mine through HD in Joliet. I have been buying all my lumber and siding from them. I have been extremely happy with the quality, customer service, and prices. I only deal with one salesman at the Pro desk (Tim). They are having their next Contractor Appreciation Day on February 25th. Anything you order on that day is 10% off. They also set up a tent and they have suppliers there to demo their products. They also have a deal where you can get a credit account for up to $30,000 and I think it's no payments for a year.

It's best to get your list together and take it in before the 25th. Just tell them to wait till that day to write the order. They will also hold the items 'til your ready for them. Phil, I have tons of bargain strategies that I have discovered if you're interested. Deals on Andersen windows, doors, and misc. items. How soon are you building? I am also going to have some stuff left over from my house. Have you been following the threads on the Kraftmaid outlet? I think I'm going to take a trip there next weekend. It's a 7-hr. drive but I have an enclosed trailer and I think I can save a bundle. Faye
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Arlington Heights, IL on 1/28/2005

Thanks Faye,

I am waiting for the foundation to be dug up and poured. The weather is slowing us down a bit. So I will be ready to buy soon once the foundation is settled. Hopefully we can start the framing in three to four weeks. Have you used the Home Depot gift certificates scenario that was on one of the threads? I wonder if there is a limit of certificates they will use during a purchase. Well anyway, thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. It is coming at the perfect time where I am actually buying the materials now.

Best Wishes and Have a Great Weekend!!

Phil
Reply...

Betsy's Forum Posts: 31

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Betsy in Powhatan, VA on 2/6/2005

We are using HardiePlank and HardieShingles, and will be breaking ground in a few weeks. Just went to a home show here in Richmond, VA, and found out that Hardie is coming out with 12 new colors. Not all their distributors know this yet (they didn't know it at Lowe's). So if you are planning on Hardie materials, know that you have a much better choice of their pre-painted colors than the ones they have now.

Betsy

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Arlington Heights, IL on 2/11/2005

Hi Faye, I am going to go to Home Depot in Park Ridge, Arlington Hts, to get price quotes on lumber. I am happy that the excavation has started just today. However, it is amazing how expensive all the prices have been so far.

Home demolition $9,200

Excavation, Foundation Concrete $44,000

Fencing $1,000

What do you think a good quote for lumber materials for a 3,000 square ft. home should be around this area? I was told to shoot for around $15,000. Any advice how I should go about shopping for prices? I wonder if price quotes from Joliet are similar to price quotes in Arlington Hts. Thanks, have a great weekend.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 2/13/2005

Phil, I have found that there are price differences from store to store. Peru was higher than Joliet. $15,000 seems pretty low to me, but I don't know anything about your house and what you are considering your "lumber" bid.

Are you including floor trusses, roof trusses, dimensional lumber, floor deck and OSB for walls and roof? My house is a 5,250 ranch on a crawlspace with a 1,500 sf garage attached. My lumber was $55,000.

I would highly suggest you get a quote on Advantech floor deck. I was really surprised at how small the price difference was and it is a superior product and holds up better through construction than plain plywood. They are just finishing sheathing my roof and will be installing doors and windows next week.

I got all my Andersen doors and windows at Peak Auctions. You will find their info in the links section. I also purchased my shingles, stone veneer, composite decking and fireplaces there. I would say I saved about $40,000 from these items alone. They are having two auctions this Spring in our area. You can look up the dates on their website.

I also wanted to let you know that I made out like a bandit on my trip to Ohio last weekend. I got 49 KraftMaid cabinets for $3,100. I will be able to use every single one and still need about 8-10 more. I figure I should be able to do the entire house for about $4,000 which was what HD quoted me for 12 kitchen cabinets. I highly recommend making the trip if you can. I'm planning another trip in late Spring. I haven't used the 10% scenario because I found that I could get bigger discounts as a contractor from HD. I have gotten as much as a 35% discount on some items because I pointed out that I was buying large quantities and if they want me to buy from them - they needed to sharpen their pencil. I would love to see a copy of your print - can you email it to me? I am not very computer literate but am going to try and set up a website to load photos of our progress - I'll let you know if I get that done. let me know what you find out about the lumber cost - Faye

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Phillip in Arlington Heights, IL on 2/13/2005

Hi Faye,

Good to hear from you. I am glad your roofing is on the way. That is great that you got such a great deal on your cabinets. Please let me know the address in Ohio when you get the chance. I also applied as a contractor at Home Depot and got a free Stanley socket set. Not bad for just starting out. I will wait for the bids to come from Home Depot and then I will see what Menards can do as well. I will send you the design of my home in the next couple of days. Let me know what you think?? My lumber list does not have any trusses. I don't believe I am using trusses in my home. Hey, thanks for the advice as always and I will let you know what the bids will turn out to be.

Thanks,

Phil

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 2/13/2005

Phil, If you aren't using trusses - are you using dimensional lumber for the roof? That type of lumber is very heavy and expensive. It also involves a great deal of labor, which will really increase your framing costs. HD quoted me laminated joists for the floor supports but I chose to go with the floor trusses because I am doing radiant heat and felt it would be much easier to do plumbing, electric and HVAC. It was also cheaper. Ask the person doing your bid to break out the lumber for your roof so you can see what it would cost versus trusses. Did you hire a GC/builder or are you just hiring individual subs yourself? There is a thread about the Kraftmaid outlet in Bargain Strategies that has like 150 responses. I got all the info (address/phone #'s) there. It also kinda tells you how the whole thing works and what to expect. Look forward to seeing your prints - Faye
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.