movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
369 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I look forward to the support of other owner-builders who frequent this site during this challenging but exciting time for our family. I also look forward to being able to give back to this community and assist others in any way I can with my experiences of the process when we are complete.
Kerry in Newport News, VA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Brick vs. Vinyl

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

David's Forum Posts: 18

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Macomb, MI on 1/24/2005

Hi everyone.

Most all of the spec builders (namely Pulte) around SE Michigan build ranches and colonials with full (unfinished) basements and all brick exterior. As we have been looking endlessly through home plan books and websites, most (not all) of the plans show siding exterior. Also, most of the panelized house companies' website plans show vinyl siding. My question is does bricking a house increase the appraised value enough to justify the cost? Typical in MI for a 2,000 sf home vinyl is approx. $4,500. Typical brick for the same house would be approx. $15,000 (including material and labor). These numbers are from about 5 different local subs in my area (each, 5 siding subs and 5 brick masons).

We love brick, and I've heard from more than one Realtor that vinyl siding doesn't do much for appraisal, but the massive difference in cost scares us to death.

Any help would be appreciated. Any help from a Michigan builder would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply...

Kari's Forum Posts: 61
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kari in Colbert, WA on 1/24/2005

Well, there is HardiPlank...It is commonly used here and it is affordable and easy to do yourself. Vinyl is not considered very desirable here. Our house is a Georgian style home and I also felt brick to be price prohibitive-- yet, really was the only design that would fit (or stucco with keystones and quoins). I went to our street of dreams and one of the tile workers had a brochure that advertised masonry. I met with him and looked at his portfolio and it was beautiful - he does amazing work. He is a recent eastern european immigrant with obvious mason skills and newly establishing his business so his prices were almost 1/3 of the masons union prices here - he was $6 a square foot as opposed to $18 sq. ft. (it is a high-priced area for brick) his did not include materials but I called the brickyard and materials were only $2.50 more. So maybe if you knew of a community that might have skilled masonry talent willing to work for a fair wage that is non-union - I think the going rate here is robbery to be honest. Or you can explore alternatives like faux brick cement siding listed in another forum link - it looks great. Good luck.

Reply...

David's Forum Posts: 18

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By David in Macomb, MI on 1/24/2005

Kari,

Thanks for the response. Could you post here the ref. to the other post you were speaking of concerning faux brick?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply...

Kari's Forum Posts: 61
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kari in Colbert, WA on 1/25/2005

Yes, it is in the same Forums section of house features, under "stone like siding", the company whose product I looked at was neat, called Nichiha: n-usa.com. It looked and felt real, however I am not sure what I would do with the corners to make it look realistic. We have decided to go with EIFS stucco (good friend deal!) since our house is ICF and that was the other finish my husband liked but I am sure you can find either an affordable mason like we had found, an alternative like Nichiha, (which runs about $6/sq ft) or there are some other dry laid masonry products that fasten to metal lath strips and interlock like a T&G floor a lookalike brick too, for a fraction of the cost. Off the top of my head I can't remember the company name but I have a sample of their product here. I will look for it. Good luck

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.