movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Hi. I am new here and SO happy to have found this site! I am very new to this owner-builder circle/just beginning.
Karen in Kingston, NH

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Homestead Homes of America

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Willie's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Willie in MN on 1/16/2005

Has anyone worked with Homestead Homes - homestead-homes.com?

They currently build only in the Midwest regions (MN, IO, WI, IL, CO etc.) but provide their own financing, plan development, lumber package, and O-B support. I'm interested because unlike similar programs (homeworx, ubuildit, presidents homes, etc) they pay the first six months of the construction loan interest. If purchasing land, they will similarly pay the interest on land valued up to 35,000.

Reply...

Chris's Forum Posts: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Chris in Oregon, MO on 7/27/2005

My wife and I are currently in talks with Homestead about building our new home in northwest Missouri.  We've spoken with our rep. for a few months and have visited a couple of houses under construction.  A good friend of ours also just built a house with Homestead last year.  In helping him out during several phases of construction I was pleased with the general quality of materials that Homestead offers and their support staff seemed very good.  My friend was satisfied with the process and said he would work with Homestead again.  My wife and I both have pretty busy careers, and when you throw in kids that doesn't leave much time for building a new house.  By going with Homestead we can cut out some of the time/hassle of finding materials and also eliminate some sub-contractors by choosing what work we would like to do ourselves.   We could save more money by doing everything ourselves but this seems to be a good choice for us.  We still have more questions to ask before we make our final decision so I'll let you know what happens. 
Reply...

Rich's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Rich in SD on 10/31/2005

Don't be fooled by their offer for 6 months free interest. Nothing in life is free. They are actually charging you interest and hiding it in the material package. The best way to do it is by either making the interest payment on the construction amount you have drawn or to set up an interest reserve and roll it into the end loan.

Reply...

Chris's Forum Posts: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Chris in Oregon, MO on 11/1/2005

Rich, have you had any direct dealings with Homestead?  I agree that the company is making their money in other ways and that was one of my questions when I met with reps from Homestead.  They were, imho, very forthright and open about their bottom line.  Your suggestions are good but not necessarily applicable in this situation.  Even if you didn't go with a construction loan through their financing company the package price would be the same.  What's more important is their interest rates and the amount of time you think it is going to take you to build.  Like anything else in life, there are no cookie cutter answers when it comes to home building and what works for some won't work for others.  The important thing is to do your research, make a plan and then remain flexible but focused.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.