movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
370 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I love the book and love the website, particularly the Forums.
Kurt B., Cecil, PA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Buying plans on internet

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Candy's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Candy in Washington, DC on 8/1/2000

I spent $700 on plans that I bought off of the internet. Now I find out that they have to be signed and sealed by someone in my area, an architect, I think. Where do I start?
Reply...

Jim's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim on 9/28/2000

You start at your Department of Land Management, or the the local office designated to issue building permits. The $700 you spent on prints does not mean they will pass local building codes. Oh, if you need to modify them I recomend an architect that is familiar with those codes. Usually the person who will be inspecting will recommend one for you even thay're not supposed to. One other thing, if your prints are altered, and you build without notifying the people you bought them from of the changes you may be in violation of copyright laws. To avoid most, if not all of the above, begin looking for prints at any one of the 100's of manufactured housing companies in the U.S., or Canada.
Reply...

Gary L.'s Forum Posts: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Gary L. on 2/14/2001

I am interested in the location where you bought your plans. Please foward the address if you would.  I am building in rural Alaska and the restictions are very light, the only consideration is to have the banks or loan company approve your plans up there. I have access to an architect that can go over the plans and approve them and certify they are strucurally sound. so if you could please send the address I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks, Gary Bailey.
Reply...

George's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By George in Merriam, KS on 4/7/2003

I would first start off by getting a copy of the permit requirements. It will say whether or not they need to be stamped by a registered architect or structural engineer in your area. Most architects would not sign off on it since it is not their work but a structural engineer would review it for meeting structural requirements for about $750 I believe. Start off by getting numbers from the phone book under engineers- structural or try draftsmen (some are also structural engineers).
Reply...

George's Forum Posts: 7

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By George in Merriam, KS on 4/7/2003

I would first start off by getting a copy of the permit requirements. It will say whether or not they need to be stamped by a registered architect or structural engineer in your area. Most architects would not sign off on it since it is not their work but a structural engineer would review it for metting structural requirements for about $750 I believe. Start off by getting numbers from the phone book under engineers- structural or try draftsmen (some are also structural engineers).
Reply...

Ray's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ray in Blue Jay, CA on 1/16/2004

Gary, try CoolHousePlans. They have thousands of plans to look at. I found some great ideas which I used to design my own plans. Good luck. Ray
Reply...

Jeff's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Puyallup, WA on 3/14/2004

George in Kansas is correct. We bought out plans through Design Evolutions in Georgia for $1,000. It was pretty basic and did not meet building code requirements for us here in the Pacific NW. We had some minor changes to the plans which we paid the original architect by the hour for, but some of the changes we made as pen and ink on our vellums when we received them (items like changing 2x4 framing to 2x6 and brick siding to stone and wood lap, etc.) From there we contacted the Permit Office for our county and found out what we needed, site plans, structural engineering, geo-techincal, and floor and roof joist layouts. The Structural Engineering and GeoTechnical reports were the big ones. The Structural cost $2,400 and placed the all in important PE (professional engineering) stamp on the plans. The GEO tech cost $300 for our site specific letter (previous geo was done for the plat, so only a letter was required after review of the site and structural reports). Our plans got through permitting in about 8 weeks. So I guess the short answer (too late) is that there is alot of extra work to do with buying stock plans, but it is still far cheaper than the 8-15% and architect charges on the actual cost of the building when it is complete. Best of Luck. Jeff
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.