g4wowgwow
427 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
My1stOB Melbourne, FL
582 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
gypsyhillfarm East Petersburg , PA
1,227 Visits | 3 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

I so LOVE the site and it has so inspired me! Thanks for the book, the site, and all of the resources and inspiration.
Dave Mason

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

A-Bus whole house audio has anyone......

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Don's Forum Posts: 15

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Don in ID on 12/14/2004

Has anyone used it?  You can either use leviton, Russound etc and they use the A-bus 'system'.  I don't know if it's a brand or standard. 

They have amplified keypads that deal with the line level issue over long distances.  Plus running 16G wire everywhere I wanted to was going to break the bank even getting it @ wholesale. 

Any suggestions?  Systems like this? http://www.home-technology-store.com/detail.aspx?ID=1043

Thanks in advance,

Don

Reply...

Jeff's Forum Posts: 34

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Henderson, NV on 12/16/2004

I don't know how big your house is but I have a hard time believing that audio cable will be more expensive than the A-Bus system, depending on how many keypads you will have.

You can pick up generic 16/2 speaker wire for .10 a foot in 500 foot rolls at http://www.hometech.com/techwire/audio.html. I can't imagine even the largest home requiring more than 1,000 - 2,000 feet of cable which amounts to only $100 - $200 bucks. Now if you're considering using monster cable or something like that then you could definitely break the bank. In my setup, I intend to have basically background type music going, not "home theatre" type music going over the whole house audio, so it doesn't have to be perfect and in reality I don't really believe the monster cable is worth the increased cost even in a typical home theatre. Now let me get off my soapbox :)

One other thing to consider is that running line level audio all over the house you'll have to more careful about running the cable around electrical wire as you'll be more likely to induce a hum in line level than speaker level.

Of course wiring with regular 16/2 you'll lose the advantages of the A-Bus panels.

I did look at the ChannelVision A-Bus system (http://www.hometech.com/techwire/cvaudio.html) but I found it too limited regarding the number of audio source inputs. I am going to have one receiver per zone wired up with Xantech IR receivers at the wall in each zone. I have 8 zones total and IIRC the Channel Vision A-Bus system only allows up to 4 zones. Plus I am a geek and like to roll my own stuff so I have 100% control.

-Jeff

Reply...

Joe's Forum Posts: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Joe in Elkhart, IN on 12/16/2004

Wiring your house for audio: 

kitchen--good idea

master bathroom--great idea

Master bedroom--great idea

Garage--fantastic

Kids room--bad idea

Use transformer type stepped attenuators (volume knobs).  The resistive types can present the amplifier with a difficult load.   

Reply...

Rena's Forum Posts: 14

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Rena on 12/19/2004

have you guys checked into the Bose Life systems I think you can do now  6 zones and the only control is a little remote control panel The system is very friendly and SMALL . I am a lady so I look for something that is easily concealed yet does the job. We have 3 zones and an outside zone as # 4. it is awesome.
Reply...

Don's Forum Posts: 15

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Don in ID on 12/19/2004

FYI, Bose = unmatched in the marketing arena. 

Bose = Bottom of the barrell in audio signal processing and speaker reproduction.

Other than that, if it works for you and it's in your budget, GO FOR IT!.

Reply...

2005 Merit Award Winner

Kevin's Forum Posts: 51

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kevin in West Chester, OH on 2/8/2005

I have a single source, 4 zone Russound A-Bus in my current house and really like it.  I plan to install it in the house I am about to OB.   I did the Installation myself - and I thought it was pretty easy.  You can find it 'on-line' for $550+.   My wife really likes the Keypads vs traditional volume control knobs.  When I did the wiring for both the Cat 5 and Speakers, I did it for several additional locations, but never ended up expanding the system - which is fairly easy to do.  All in all... I think it is a great system!
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.