NorthPoleHome North Pole, AK
38,530 Visits | 40 Posts | 177 Pix | 0 Videos
TheHoskensProject Dome-ville, FL
66,737 Visits | 176 Posts | 522 Pix | 4 Videos
DCS
442 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

You will be shocked how much you learn on this forum and reading in a very short space of time. I've gone from a doubtful O-B to a chomping at the bit to break ground O-B in just a few short months.
Drue from Henderson, NV

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

ProSource flooring

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Bryan's Forum Posts: 12
Journal Entries: 4

Private Message

Image from Bryan's blog

Login to Vote

By Bryan in Reynoldsburg, OH on 12/14/2004

Has anyone joined ProSource for flooring? I wondered if they really sell at wholesale!
Reply...

Jon's Forum Posts: 43

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jon in Olathe, KS on 12/14/2004

Is this the same kind of place as DirectBuy? If so, there is a thread started about them.
Reply...

Andy's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Andy in Martinsburg, WV on 2/1/2005

I believe ProSource only deals with flooring. I am looking at installing about 1,500 square feet of laminate flooring and for the quality I am looking for $2 per square foot was the best price I had found (Lumber Liquidators). My buddy called ProSource today and found a similar product for $1.59 per square foot. I am planning on going by both showrooms to see the products before I make my choice. Hope this helps. Check out pswholesale.com for a general idea of what they have available.

Reply...

Heather's Forum Posts: 53
Interview Answers: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Heather in Baton Rouge, LA on 3/2/2005

We are getting all of our flooring from ProSource. We did not join, but our flooring installer belongs. Some contractors will pass along their savings to the customer. 

I have been impressed with the service at the store in Baton Rouge. The staff is very helpful and you are allowed to check out the samples for up to a week at a time. On their website it says you can join for $30 (or something like that), but I am not sure if you will get the extra discounts that the contractors get or if you will just be allowed to shop there. 

I told our ProSource rep that I was looking at other retailers and he said they had the cheapest prices in town, and after some research -- they do!

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 3/2/2005

Interesting that this topic just came back to the forefront. I was in the local ProSource showroom this past Friday (2/25) and Gayla went in on 2/26. Nice selection. It is mostly for builders, we get 30% off retail. However if a builder sends in a client, ProSource charges them 20% off retail and gives the 10% discount back to the builder - just one source of built-in profit for builders that most clients will never see.

They did have a great selection. Business membership is $25, but it is builders and people in the trade only (since I am a licensed GC, no big deal). As a bonus, if I am building my own house and using it as a demonstration house for my business (I am a GC after all), the discount gets even bigger than the standard 30%. I guess this is one advantage licensed GCs have over regular O-B's, although you could probably match their prices elsewhere.

Reply...

2005 Merit Award Winner

Kevin's Forum Posts: 51

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kevin in West Chester, OH on 3/3/2005

Depending what you are looking for... you can get goood deals on laminate wood flooring at building auctions. Paranzino Brothers (pbauctions.com) does auctions in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia (coming in April, I think... there is a schedule on their website)... Peak Auctions also had some. I purchased 1,100 s.f. of Kronotex's top of the line wood laminate for $1.10/s.f. (before taxes). The most I have seen at a single auction is in the 1,100 - 1,200 sq. ft. range. So, if you need a lot more, you may be at risk of finding it again.

Typically, the process is they bid for 'how much you want'... and the high bidder gets to take whatever quantity they want... they'll then offer that price to other people who were bidding next, and then anyone else... all for 'your choice' of number of boxes. Then, they'll sell 'the rest' and re-bid, typically going for less -- although, sometimes (my guess is at least 25% of the time) topping out at the same prices. If you need a lot... you better win the initial bidding. You need to take a look around... they'll have several lines of different brands - and even the same brand they'll have different levels (6 mm, 7 mm, 8 mm). I don't think some of the people bidding realize this - so, the 6 mm doesn't go for much less than 8 mm.

I have never seen Pergo name brand at the auctions. You also need to make sure you are bidding on what you want in terms of glue-together vs. click-together. I saw a few people purchase glue-together, and then they looked horrified when the auctioneer said "you better bid on this glue, you know that stuff you just bought was glue together right?". You might want to check prices for underlayment at other local sources before you go -- you can purchase that at the auctions as well.

As for laminate floor installation... I personally thought it was pretty easy. I did all of ours and it went pretty quickly. The most difficult part in my opinion were the transitions from ceramic tile to the laminate. There are transition strips, but if things aren't exactly the right heights -- you need to figure out how to make it work. The first time I installed the stuff, we used a circular saw for the cuts... Then, we switched to a miter saw that pulls for the cross-board cuts and a table saw for the rip cuts... MUCH faster and easier.

I know I'm not addressing ProSource... but addressing laminate floor purchase deals.

Reply...

Jay's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jay in League City, TX on 3/26/2005

I used ProSource for carpet and tile. I GC'ed my home and have a friend who is a full-time builder. He let me buy under his name and get the full 30% discount. Great selections, but initially their prices were not that good. Found an internet carpet deal that they matched. Home Depot had a special on 16-inch travertine and an additional 10% off for opening a charge account. ProSource matched the Home Depot and did it with a larger 18-inch travertine that we preferred. Try to deal with the manager. 
Reply...

Sharon's Forum Posts: 14
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sharon in Nine Mile Falls, WA on 8/18/2005

I joined ProSource for $25 and it was well worth it. I bought all of our slate and ceramic tile there. I went to some of the retail stores to compare, and they were always way over what I was paying at ProSource.
Reply...

bruce_mcleanb@msn.com's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By bruce_mcleanb@msn.com in West Palm Beach, FL on 5/13/2008

They don't sell wholesale, as they purchase nearly all their products from the same local wholesalers as all other carpet retailers. They do get national pricing from some of the bigger carpet mills, but as most retailers are members of buying groups, they all buy pretty much at the same price. They belong to CCA Global Partners, which is the same buying group as many of the largest retail groups (Carpet One, Flooring America, etc.).

Some of the ProSource stores "import" their own products, but mostly these are just privately labeled products that are available to everyone under other names.

They do work on a lower average margin than most retailers, somewhere between 20-25% over cost, but offer absolutely no service. They are purely acting as brokers who will receive and warehouse materials. Most retailers, when pushed, will come close in price but will kill ProSource as far as service goes.

Reply...

Lisa's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lisa in Casselberry, FL on 11/7/2008

We purchased our tile through PS and received the WRONG tile. We called them and they assured us that it was different lighting that was the problem. All the tile was mis-marked and the supplier tried to also deny that this was the wrong tile. 

In order to save any time at all and money for the company, they offered to have us keep the wrong tile up which had been on the wall and set for over a week before any real offers came up. In order for us to keep the new shower walls we agreed to have them replace our bathroom floors instead at a much lower cost to them.

In the end... we got our shower done, with the wrong tile, our floors had to be replaced (we had them done just two years earlier) in a different  color than we originally wanted and it is is... 3 1/2 months later and we are JUST getting our shower tile installed. This was a job that should have taken two weeks and they didn't get the tile in for 6. Refunds? Nope, they considered the entire offer... generous.

We were in the market for redoing our entire downstairs but have found the tile a bit more reasonable and reliable at another distributor.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.