movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
370 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Your website is wonderful! I am so happy I ran across it. Building your home without using a general contractor who knows so much about the business can be intimidating to someone who has never done it. Seeing others out there who are doing it and commenting on the process is very encouraging.
Melissa P., North Carolina

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Steel roofing vs. composite shingles

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Steve's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve in Gypsum, KS on 12/11/2004

I'm considering using a Gerard or Decra roofing material for our home. Can anyone give me a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea, other than $?
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 12/13/2004

I looked at Decra and Tamko Metalworks. I really like the Tamco Metalworks and would have done this hands down if it was in my price point. Installed price was brutal.

I could get the Tamko Metalworks for about $200/square including all shingles, ice and water shield underlayment (I have 4:12 pitch roof which is a little low for ice problems), hip and ridge shingles, flashing, hardware, etc., basically all materials for my roof. The installed price quote I got was $650/square, because this is a premium product and they can command it.

I can't imagine why installed price is so high. 60 fasteners is all that is needed to secure one square, so it has to go up quick. I guess cutting the panels at transitions, valleys, hips, etc. must increase the labor somewhat. For my roof, I just couldn't see paying $16K labor and profit just because that is what the market will bear.

Reply...

Steve's Forum Posts: 4

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Steve in Gypsum, KS on 12/13/2004

Did you end up going with Decra? I looked a Gerard project the other day, and the cappings at the end don't quite cover. It looks like it would allow access for birds, wasps, etc. Is this the case for most metal roof systems, or was this project an exception?
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 12/14/2004

No, I ended up with Tamko Heritage composition shingles, Olde English Pewter.

If you want steel, look at Tamko Metalworks. These are really nice.

Reply...

Andrew's Forum Posts: 55

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Andrew in Corpus Christi, TX on 1/26/2005

I've been leaning towards using Met-Tile metal tile roofing. My building covenants call for Spanish Tile, which is very heavy requiring a substantial structure to support it, and it is susceptible to cracking and leaks. Met-Tile's website advertises an installed cost of $250-$400/square. While still not cheap, I figure that I will be able save elsewhere by not having to build a super robust roof to support clay tiles.

Additionally, here in Texas you get special insurance credits for having a metal roof (not sure how much but every bit helps). Met-Tile claims to be rated for 230-mph winds and comes with a 50-year warranty (good for me being in hurricane country).

I still have one hurdle to overcome though. I am trying to get the homeowners association to change the covenants to allow metal tile systems. They are requesting samples from several companies. It appears that their main concern is aesthetics, and so long as it looks like real tile, I don't think that there will be a problem. They stated that they had been considering metal tile for some time but it appears that I am the first to approach them about it. Hopefully they will be satisfied with the samples.

Anyway, has anyone out there used this product? If so please post and share your experience.

Reply...

Anonymous's Forum Posts: 5

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Anonymous on 1/29/2005

I'd check with my insurance agent before assuming that you will get a credit for metal roofing. We live out in the Hill Country near Austin, and we have a metal roof now on our existing home. We DO NOT get any credits... the only thing they wanted to know was if our house was totally stone or not.

I keep hearing this rumor all over the place. We've called several insurance companies, and none of them would offer a discount.

I wish they would, since we're installing another metal roof (hopefully) on our new house we're building.

Bobbi C.

Reply...

Andrew's Forum Posts: 55

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Andrew in Corpus Christi, TX on 1/29/2005

Bobbi,

Thanks for the response on your experience on insurance credits. here's what Met-Tile says:

"Texas homeowners who use products that meet impact resistant performance requirements are eligible for roof covering credits from the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI). The roof credits apply to all parts of Texas -- yet many consumers remain unaware that these insurance credits are available!"

"Met-Tile roofing complies with the wind loads specified in Section 120 of the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) Windstorm Resistant Construction Guide and Section 103 of the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association Building Code for Windstorm Resistant Construction. As a result, the product is accepted for use in designated catastrophe areas along the Texas Gulf Coast when installed in accordance with the product evaluation developed by TDI. In addition, Met-Tile satisfies the testing criteria of Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL) Standard 2218 for impact resistance."

My guess is that you probably must have proof from your roofer that the roof was installed in compliance with TDI code, and would additionally need the manufacturer's proof of approval/acceptance from TDI as well. A pain, yes, but every little bit helps.

Oh, and one thing more, perhaps you are not located sufficiently close to the coast for the windstorm credit. This credit probably just brings homeowners along the coast in line with what those inland are probably paying. I'll have to ask my insurance agent about this and mention the TDI code.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.