movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
372 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
422 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

This site has been an invaluable resource. Through the community on the boards, and the books and other resources available here, I have been been pointed in the right direction.
Mike in Garden Grove, CA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Insulation - Icynene

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Angie's Forum Posts: 20

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Angie in London, OH on 11/22/2004

Anyone used Icynene?
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 11/22/2004

I will be having icynene installed in a couple of weeks. I'm utilizing a 2004 ammendment to the IRC code allowing unvented roof assemblys if the proper type/amount of insulation is applied to the underside of the roof deck. Icynene meets this requirement. I'm doing it becacuse my roof design has only 20-30" of attic space, and icynene is pretty dense per R value, but sprayed to the underside of the roof deck, eliminates the need to vent the roof (which cost about $900 on my house) and also eliminates 26 intentional penetrations through the roof (likely points of leaking in the future). THe concept is that the attic becomes conditioned space; Icynene also seals openings/voids so you reduce/eliminate air infiltration. In my house, this will seal the roof deck to the ICF walls, and should make things tight. The last thing I'm going to do, after insulation, before drywall, is a blower door test. Doing it before drywall will let you find the leaks before they are covered, although obviously this would be harder with conventional framing/vaporbarrier.
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 11/27/2004

I looked at icynene, but was concerned about the unvented roof not meeting code (the applicable code where I am is IRC 2000, although since my permit was issued they have adopted IRC2003).  I did not know about the IRC2004 exemption, if I had I would have considered it more fully.  Too late for me now, my roof sheathing is already on and the shingles will will be on within the week.  I am venting it using GAF Snow Country Ridge vent combined with James Hardie vented soffit panels all around.  I was able to eliminate almost all roof penetrations (I have plumbing penetrations only).  John has the right idea in that this combined with ICF would be exceptionally tight.

As a cost savings solution, the local icynene contractors recommend using enough icynene to adequately seal everything, and then getting the remainder of the insulating value using a more traditional insulation blown on top of the icynene in the rafters.  I am seriously considering this, especially since my roof is more than adequately vented and I am too late to change this.  Also note that icynene is a trade name, there are other brands of foam that are very similar, and more cost effective.  Icynene is the most effective marketer, but be sure to shop their competition.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 11/27/2004

I persued the unvented roof application with a fury - my design has a virtually flat roof (1/2 : 12 pitch, aka southwestern adobe) - it was going to cost me $900 for pop vents, and with a flat roof, I didn't want to make any additional (intentional) penetrations. :) I'm sure it will leak (as the flat roof saying goes!) but doing the best practices to try to avoid it. I installed an EPDM membrane roof, but the killer roof, which I've yet to find anyone who can install (not that I could afford it) is a welded stainless steel roof - I've seen some on fancy commercial, the guys have to fly in from germany or something to do it... Probably only useful information for those who are building rustic adobe's or modern contempory flat roof designs. :)
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 11/29/2004

Is this the house near Tucson where the German company even brought the materials because they couldn't source them in the United States?  I cringe to think what that roof cost, although it is maintenance free for longer than the house will stand.

I did a quick www.google.com search for this house and found this information - The contractor, Architectural Stainless Service Center (ASSC) of Germany, points out that they were unable to source the materials in the United States, so they had to bring it all with them. We do projects in all the countries that surround Germany, explains Klaus Maier, managing director. This is the most distant project weve taken on. The challenge was to make sure to have everything we needed at the start so we wouldnt have to wait three weeks for something to be shipped from Germany to Arizona. He notes that the list of materials included rolls of stainless roofing and closed-cell membrane, as well as the necessary machines and hand tools. It took three days to get the materials and the crew through customs.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 11/29/2004

That's it.  I'll bet that roof costs more than most very nice houses!

Reply...

Peter's Forum Posts: 68
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Peter in Gilford, NH on 5/2/2005

John,

Can you share with us the cost per square foot for your insulation?  Did you get the isulation installed?  How did it turn out?

Thanks,

Peter 

Reply...

Jennifer's Forum Posts: 40
Interview Answers: 5

Private Message

My Construction Website

Jennifer's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jennifer in Ft Worth, TX on 8/3/2005

Not sure how much it helps, but we had the foam put in our tower. Approx. 2,000 sq. ft of wall and one 200 sq. ft ceiling. The walls are 2x8 studs and they filled them full on all walls except interior, where they only did a few inches thick. The cost was $1,200. They said they gave us a deal, and we really thought so. They had done our roof, and we were pleased with their service, so asked them to do the inside, too. Different foam for each. This is a one man company, as opposed to a roofing company, so maybe he can give better prices.

draftymanor.com to see the building. Foam installation toward the bottom.

Jennifer

The foam guy

Reply...

Patrick's Forum Posts: 8
Interview Answers: 19

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Patrick in Cottage Grove, MN on 8/3/2005

We have been pricing out our insulation options. The Icynene option we had explored was about $12000 including celulose in the roof for a 2800 sqf house w/ a bonus room and insulated garage. Then we explored another sprayed insulation option, can't remember the name, similar to Icynene though but more environmentaly friendly, came in around $10500. Our batted and celulose insulation option w/o installation came in around $2800 if we were to do it ourself. Hope this helps those exploring the options!

Reply...

Danby's Forum Posts: 22

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Danby in Phoenix, AZ on 8/5/2005

Can anyone help me out with how you were able to vent a flat roof appropriately?   My code is calling for 1 ft per 150 sqr foot of floor space.  Total under roof is 5000, square feet.  As some of you stated in this rant,  that is a lot of holes in the roof.  I'm wondering if I can't do a run of Parapet Vents (intake) in the Parapets that surround the building and then a few solar powered power vents in the center for exaust.   I can't seem to find any of these vents but I hear they exist.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  - Danby Anchors, phx, AZ.    http://www.geocities.com/anchors00/mortimer
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

By Jennifer in Ft Worth, TX on 8/5/2005

Danby-

I'm sorry I can't help you with your venting issue. We ended up not venting the flat tower roof at all. The builder saw no reason to vent with the 2X8 joists every 12" and roofing on top and sheetrock below. One vent would only vent that one space between the joists. Luckily we have no real codes to follow, being out in the country.

Really all I wanted to say was that looking at your house plan, I almost thought building a new house like that would be fun. I really like the plans. Of course I'm committed to our future castle now, but I like that your house is almost a rectangle, which should be so much simpler to build than our round tower, 3 story monstrosity. The one thing on yours I couldn't picture is the plumbing. When we moved our kitchen we plumbed for the sink, but I couldn't imagine doing the plumbing for your place. It's all over the place....

Jennifer

Reply...

Danby's Forum Posts: 22

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Danby in Phoenix, AZ on 8/5/2005

I've heard the NO VENTING argument and I'm scared stiff of it.  I also have very little headroom (30" to 48") but I really want the ability to get up there and fix was needs to be fixed.  I also believe that venting has great value if I can get the heat out as fast as it builds up.  gets hot in AZ.  I REALLY like the idea of having a base ICynene layer of just a few inches to create a sealed roof deck, then blow in shredded newspaper over the top, perhaps RBS chips over the newspaper.  I'm definately going to look more into that great idea.

Plumbing will be a nightmare,   Plumber said we will have to Flat-run alot of the DWV since I have no slope at all.  - flows to a septic, to make things worse.  too late now:)

Reply...

Randy's Forum Posts: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Randy in Rockwall, TX on 7/13/2006

What is the company you used?  We are over in Rockwall, but it might be worth getting a bid if they're willing to come over here for the work.
Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Login to Vote

By Jennifer in Ft Worth, TX on 7/13/2006

drfoam.com is the company we used. Fun to work with. A good attitude.

Jennifer

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.