movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
352 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Thanks to all of you who share all of your great ideas - we can do some fun things with this house and save money, too.
Kirk in Kallispell, MT

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Internet sites for energy saving features

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Radiant's Forum Posts: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Radiant on 3/6/2000

Some of the items I found for my owner-built house: Pre-Stressed Concrete Foundation: look under superiorwalls.com Pre-insulated to R-5 and comes with a 15 year warranty. TJI Silent Floor Trusses:3/4 in multi-ply plywood. Screwed and glued. Enercept Structural Insulated Panels enercept.com Super energy efficient and EASY to erect. Ten of my friends erected the house walls last Saturday. We erected the garage in four hours the next day. Hot Water Heat: look under wirsbo.com. Energy efficient and super comfortable. Four of us installed the basement circuit in one day and saved $3,800. It's done right too. The gentlemen who sold it to us engineered the system and helped us install it. Fiberglass Framed Windows: Look under accuratedorwin.com Triple Paned, 2 low-e coatings and 2 argon gas cavities. Super Energy Efficient and the price is very competitive with quality window manufactures. We did a lot of research here and believe we have made the right decision. Icyenine Foam in Attic and Rim-Joist: Look under prairiefoam.com Will seal the home from potential air leaks which will add big time to the comfort and efficiency. Aquapex Plumbing: Look under aquapex.com Too many advantages to list, but the best part is that I can run the feed lines myself! Heat Recovery Ventilators Look under thermalassociates.com Recovers energy and cleanses the air. Other features include: hurricane roof truss hangers Simpson Strong ties affixing the main floor to the foundation, All concrete is mixed with Fiber mesh to reduce cracking, Four foot Stairwell with lighting at treads, Heat Recovery Ventilator Hot water heat in all bathrooms Whirlpool, Concrete Tornado Shelter, Natural Daylighting via Sun Tubes, 12 Guage Wiring, Whole House Vacuum, Whole house stereo, video, intercom, computer and telephone, 14 different heating zones, Security System.  A few items of Interest: Builder's Guide, Cold Climate, 1997 eeba.org Published by the Energy Efficient Building Association (EEBA), visit the EEBA web site to order your copy. Ask EEBA about membership. EEBA has annual meetings that provide an opportunity to upgrade building and HVAC skills--Something of interest to me. This is the way I wanted to build, but I couldn't convince my better half. mcgill.ca/mchg/straw
Reply...

Barbara's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Barbara on 1/23/2004

Has anyone used the "profoam" (or similar) spray-type insulation? We're looking for some way to save on heat/air costs and perhaps increase the strength of the walls, roof, etc. We were considering SIPS, but changed our mind. I'm hoping this might be a good compromise. Any info would be helpful. THANKS!
Reply...

Nathan's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Nathan in Orem, UT on 1/29/2004

Barbara, I would consider ICFs if you are looking for strength and energy savings. With the current high prices of lumber this could be about the same price as stick built. Something like this: amvicsystems.com
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.