movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
369 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I am halfway through THE BOOK, and I am already rethinking some of my approaches.
Stan in Tehachapi, CA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

is 9 months enough time?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Carpenter's Forum Posts: 21

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Carpenter on 12/7/2003

We thought we were gonna have a year to build, but we ended up with 9 months... is that enough? It seems to be... but I would have rather had the year.
Reply...

Connie's Forum Posts: 46

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Connie in Syracuse, UT on 12/27/2003

Ken,

The time frame depends on a lot of factors. We started three months ago, and just finished sheetrock. Finish work begins on Monday. We estimate closing our loan two months from now.

We did the following ourselves:

·        framing

·        cement finish

·        electrical

·        roofing

·        tile

·        rock fireplace

We are renting a home that sits in back of the home we are building so we can go over and check on things that subs did and keep an eye on our supplies. It also allowed us to work for longer amounts of time because we didn't have to travel. Our loan allows 6 months; we will come in at 4 ½ months. Since it is winter and we just received 1 1/2' of snow, we won't have landscaping in until later, so we aren't counting on that part. If you are subbing most of your work out, you should be able to do it in 9 months. I guess the size of the home is a factor also.

Good luck, it is a very exhilarating feeling to see things come together. To make things go smoother for us we picked everything out before we started. So when we got our bids it was for exact material. Now that we are in the finish stages we are glad we don't have to make decisions about paint color. We can focus on the schedule and the budget.

Good luck.

Connie

Reply...

Joel's Forum Posts: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Joel in Bloomington, MN on 6/15/2004

Connie-

We are about to break ground and doing all of the tasks you mentioned along with a few others. Do you have any learning’s you would share about taking on so much of the work yourself. Would you do it again? Clearly the money saved is a lot! How did you plan the project plan as far as allowing time for work? Overall our timeframe seems so optimistic, however pieced out it is very manageable. thanks

-Shelley

Reply...

2006, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Michael's Forum Posts: 181
Interview Answers: 51

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael in Cave Creek, AZ on 6/16/2004

I think nine months is reasonable. I got my permit 12/21, and broke ground 12/29 last year. I am building 2,600 SF in Scottsdale, AZ. Except for excavating, concrete, stucco, HVAC and roofing, the house has been entirely a weekend project.

I have all the rest of my crews working on an hourly basis about 10 hrs a day on Saturday and Sunday. They all have regular jobs during the week. We have had as many as 20 people borrowed from four different framing companies on site during the framing stage.

Now we are in the finishing stages. Painting is done, doors are in, cabinets are in, wiring is done. I bring in four to five trades per weekend. Last weekend I had a tile crew of four, four laborers on hardwood floor with me helping, one plumber installing the water heater and doing trim work, and the electrician doing cable TV, phones, and the alarm system. I also had a two-person crew of laborers outside cleaning up and applying water seal to some wood.

The way I find my crews is to go to job sites in my neighborhood and ask tradespeople, "Do you know anyone who wants to work this weekend for some extra $$$?" The answer is often -- YES. The question is then repeated to each person working on the site, till I have a full crew. I should have my certificate of occupancy in July. So, I think 9 months is reasonable, especially if you subcontract more trades than I did.

Reply...

Theresa's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Theresa in Chandler, AZ on 9/22/2004

I am owner-building in Queen Creek, and my husband and I were considering hiring weekend crews for various trades. I was wondering how you handled insurance issues. Were you able to find an insurance provider or did you have the workers sign a liability waiver?

Thanks,

Theresa S.
Reply...

Peter's Forum Posts: 68
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Peter in Gilford, NH on 1/7/2005

Hi Theresa,

Did you start building? There is no problem getting insurance, but most companies want to put you in a commercial policy like other full-time general contractors. The problem is these are very expensive. It's also not cost-effective for a single project. Also, insurance companies needed to see if you have some sort of qualifications and prior experience (and licenses depending on the state you live in).

I managed to get a policy that straddles between a normal homeowner's policy, but understood that I was building the home first. It took my agent SEVERAL phone calls to get a company who would listen to an O-B story. I also got an umbrella policy as well...

Total insurance was under $450 (covers $300K for the house and $1.5M in liability).

I also ask subs to sign a waiver and depending on the job for a copy of their insurance and for me to added to their policy for the duration of the work.

Peter

Reply...

Baine's Forum Posts: 66

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Baine on 1/24/2005

House builders like KB Homes, etc. build a house from flat dirt ground to finished in four months even. My current house was built in four months. Typical O-B homes are built in 9 months, The O-B Book says. I am starting to wonder if a lot of people here have not even read The O-B Book. Go get it, guys!!! You won't have many questions when you come here, that's for sure. 80% of questions asked here I've seen could simply be answered by reading the book.

You can build a home in six months and I have heard of homes being built in two months many times over. That's right, no, I'm not lying and no, it's not B.S... two months. YES IT IS POSSIBLE, just not the norm. My goal is going to be to do it in four months as that is what my house was built in and I say if they can do it why can't I??? If one man can, another can. I will try to do it in two months but due to my PERSONAL schedule I'm not sure I could... but this doesn't make it impossible. I think 9 months is a long time, personally. The average tract home builder is building homes in two to four months, so that is the standard I would want to use. I am a big planner and if your plans and organization are done right you should be able to do it in good time.

I think everyone should be shooting for 4-6 months personally, since it is done so often. I can't even understand why a house would take 6 months to build. Even in The O-B Book the time schedule is slow with no overlaps or time cuts anywhere and it is only a 6-month time frame. There are soooo many places to have duplicate trades done at the same time; the inside done at the same time as the outside/roofing etc., start jobs in places where others could be working, have drywallers come right behind electricians in the walls etc., and on and on and on. Think, folks...we should have a "cut time" thread. Heck, I'm starting one right now, look for it.

Reply...

Roger's Forum Posts: 27

Private Message

My Construction Website

Roger's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Roger in Beverly Hills, CA on 5/31/2019

I think nine months is reasonable.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.