movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
353 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

The book is great! But this site is an incredible resource for a first-time owner-builder like us. We have already been helped out by other posters here on insurance, specs, and planning. We have avoided two very important pitfalls regarding home package suppliers and sub bids. You are doing the owner-builders out there a great service! Keep up the good work. Also your Owner-Builder Connections has helped us get in contact with others in our state.
Eugene Mills

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

inspections

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Jacklyn's Forum Posts: 26

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jacklyn in Hillsdale, MI on 5/6/2006

Do you have to be present during inspections?
Reply...

Alvin's Forum Posts: 30

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Alvin in FL on 5/6/2006

No, you don´t have to be present for inspections, but I would suggest that you always are. There are a lot of questions or issues that can come up that can cause you to fail an inspection if you are not there to explain to the inspector what is going on. I only have my final inspection to go and never failed a single inspection throughout my whole build. I was always there and walked the inspector through everything. I could see that I might have failed several times if I had not have been there to answer the inspectors questions.

Alvin

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 5/6/2006

It's good to be there for another reason - It's a little known secret, but 99% of the time, the building inspector IS YOUR FRIEND.  It's another set of eyes, making sure things are done right.

As mentioned above, being there can answer questions for him and make things pass, but also, you can get feedback from the inspector.  Things might be legal and meet code, but look sloppy, or could have been done better.  You can then go back to your sub (whom you've not paid in full yet, hopefully) and say "I don't like that this looks like x, to be done properly it really should be y) and 99% of the time, they will come fix it to get that last 10%.  Managed right, it's like having a paid inspector reviewing work.

Of course, many building inspectors don't care...  But if managed right, the inspector can be excited about your project, and his work will be better too.  He's used to dealing with GC's and subs all day who are trying to skate by on the cheapest cra$ that they can get away with, as long as the finished product 'looks' OK.  Here he's working on a project with someone who can be genuinely interested in good work, and in his opinion.  YMMV.

My building inspector was great, and generally never had any problems.  In fact, he gave me my CO without my kitchen sink being installed (it was sitting on the floor) because he knew as an O-B, I would finish my sink, and he was happy with the quality of the project.  He failed an HVAC termination, and I was glad he did, I had missed it.  And he was hard on my framers (what little framing I had) but that was good, because after he beat up my framers for missing some nails, they spend a day double/triple nailing, bracing, pressure blocking.  They went way beyond what was required, thanks to a good lashing by the inspector.

Reply...

Ray's Forum Posts: 20

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ray in Southampton, NY on 5/19/2006

This may be a dumb question, but which components need to be inspected? I don't see this documented anywhere. 

Foundation, Framing, Electrical, Plumbing? etc?

Thanks...RN

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 5/19/2006

When you pull a permit from your code department, they will identify what inspections you need. 
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ray in Southampton, NY on 5/23/2006

I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait that long. Is there a standard set of inspections required for a new construction?

Thanks..RN

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 5/23/2006

The exact inspections required will vary based on your local codes/inspectors and your specific house - Some houses will require different inspections based on the types of materials or methods you are using. A safe rule of thumb is to not cover anything until the inspector has seen it. Here is a rough list, not all of these are required in all places, and keep in mind that in some localities, inspection protocols might be different.

If I recall correctly, I had the following inspections. (I'm also listing a few that didn't apply to me, but are common in my area, to give you an idea) Many inspections are sometimes performed at the same time as other inspections, for example, the building setback and footing inspections are performed at the same time, and occur on the same day as the wildfire hazard inspection, but the wildfire hazard inspection is a different inspector...
-Open hole soil inspection (post excavation), Wildfire hazard, building setback/location, footing width/reinforcement (pre-pour)
-ICF or foundation wall inspection, pre-pour (This had to be done by my engineer at my expense, the county inspectors won't inspect ICF over 8' high).
-In-ground plumbing inspection
-Electrical service in-ground inspection, electrical service temp power inspection
-Radon Mitigation inspection, footing drain inspection (They didn't care to inspect the radiant piping in my jurisdiction).
Main level ICF wall inspection (pre-pour)
Framing 4-way inspection (Framing, HVAC, Plumbing Rough, Electrical Rough) Weatherboarding/Stucco Inspection, mid roof inspection (getting firedeck on roof inspected before covering with roofing)
Insulation Inspection (spray foam walls and attic, sealed attic. Otherwise just walls here, then attic is inspected at building final.
Sheetrock/drywall inspection Electrical Trim inspection
Building Final (Building overall, firedoors, health/safety, plumbing/HVAC trim, roof, etc inspected here).

There are others. Some jurisdictions require mid stucco inspections, deck inspections (done at building final here).
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ray in Southampton, NY on 5/23/2006

Thank you for the detailed writeup. It's more involved than I thought it would be.

Regards...RN

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.