movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I thank Mark for his book and this website. It is a great source of support and information.
Bruce in Union, WA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

events and education

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 9/17/2005

If anyone is aware of events, seminars or conferences about green building feel free to share. This coming week, Sept. 23-24, the City of Scottsdale, AZ is hosting a green building expo.

National Solar Tour. October 1st. ases.org

Also the U.S. Green Building Council is having their national conference and trade fair the second week of November in Atlanta, GA greenbuildexpo.org

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 9/21/2005

Off to a green building event this week. If anyone has some choice interests for me to pursue while there let me know. because it's in AZ, cooling is a big discussion as is energy efficiency.

Also. I will be attending the USGBC "Greenbuild" conference and trade fair in November.  Will look for products or info if requested.

Am considering doing a blog of sorts here in the forum while at the Greenbuild conference.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 10/30/2005

Recently attended the 'green build' expo in Scottsdale AZ. A few new things in interior finishes were encountered.

Ran into the debate of R-value and ICF's...some of those distributors don't like to deal with informed consumers.

Next up is a trip to the BIG green building conference being held in Atlanta. I believe friday the 11th is open to the public, will verify that for anyone in that part of the USA.

I will be posting a blog of sorts from the conference.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 11/8/2005

Day One at USGBC greenbuild conference.

Getting registered and familiar with the conference center.

Over 600 exhibitors with a huge variety of products. Trade Fair opens this evening.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 11/10/2005

Dateline: Atlanta, GA

Thursday update.

Have been cruising the trade fair.  Have found several ICF products, flooring, countertop and water treatment products that I have not seen before.

And to answer the query, next year's conference for the USGBC will be in Denver. Don't have dates and location yet. As of today about 10,000 people are in attendence including representatives from over 30 countries.

There are about 580 exhibitors here, so trying to describe the whole trade fair briefly would be difficult. But if anyone has specific questions about products, processes or green topics just ask. i have sat thru several educational sessions already and will attend two or three more efore this conference ends tomorrow(friday).

One of the biggest lessons  I have heard stressed this week is that "green" construction doesn't need to cost more than conventional construction. Part of "green" building is better materials management, using better construction techniques, waste reduction, job-site recycling and not wasting energy during the job. Things every OB should be interested in anyway, why pay for things that add no value to your home OR may actually raise yours costs.

Reply...

Jon's Forum Posts: 40

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jon in Merrimack, NH on 11/15/2005

Dale, Any green products that are cost comparative? Not in the sense that if installed you save money on other items, but item to item savings?
Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 11/15/2005

Actually i found several wall construction products that may be comparative to price for stick construction. Depending your location and/or the cost of concrete.

Winter Panels will ship anywhere in the country. They manufacture a SIP product in New England. R-40+ wall system. Can be pre-cut to to your project. Quality. Air-tight. Energy efficient. Great product.

There are some ICF products that are very user friendly ans subject to concrete and pumping costs may be a great alternative.

My personal view is that 5% increase in construction costs is a fair trade for better construction, better insulation, more durability and shorter construction time. Would you rather pay the electric company $50 for your cheaper construction quality  or invest an extra $50 on the mortgage?

I will be posting some updates to the conference and generate a special report about some of the new directions of green building.

More related to day-today life there are several new lighting products, especially the "eco-friendly" T-8 lamps that will have an impact of fixtures and bulb choices.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 11/15/2005

Dateline Atlanta.

Sitting at the airport.

Great  conference. Great trade fair.

Over the following weeks I will try to share some of the proceedings here in the forum. Rest will be discussed in an upcoming special report. So if you want specific ideas discussed here and now is the place. It will shape the direction of the report. And I will share the special report directly with those who particpate in this discussion. It was a lot of information and your questions will be appreciated.

Reply...

Jon's Forum Posts: 40

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jon in Merrimack, NH on 11/16/2005

That's great, thanks. I agree the extra product cost is worth the savings in energy costs. But what would help is for example can you get the same energy savings with a less expensive product, and what are they. For instance soy foam insulation or wet spray cellulose? $24,000 install vs. $15,000 etc. Look forward to the report.
Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 11/16/2005

Jon brings up a good point, when evaluating "new" materials you need to look at life cycle cost to determine what the payback is for the extra investment. However "green" building is more than the materials that go into a house, as great materials installed poorly are less effective than poor materials installed properly. Good building practices would dictate that you can achieve a tight envelope with other techniques besides foam insulation, and in this case the cost of foam insulation is money with poor return.

However, foam insulation cures a lot of framing evils, and if you have poor framing the foam insulation will be a much better investment. It is this reason that you simply can't say "foam is always a good investment if you can get it for $XX." You need to understand the house as a system, much greater than the sum of the parts. Understand the system, and you can make much better decisions about individual products.
Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 11/20/2005

Comparing products can be difficult sometimes because its not an apples-to-apples decision.

Or in the soy vs. cellulose, its granny smith vs. golden delicious. When both products are "green" and have very comparable benefits and performance cost should be a factor. As was mentioned in an other post "life cycle" can be a determining point. And that can be a difference between first cost vs. life cost.

For example; if you save $4,000 on your windows and doors by getting aluminum (U value = .7) rather than wood(U value = .55) but it costs $400 more a year to heat and cool, which is a better bargain?

Personally I prefer to invest in my home than give money to utility companies.

Here is a brief article about insulation R-Value. cellulose.org/pdf/cellulose_energy

And this is about "green" choices. greenbuilder.com/sourcebook

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 11/20/2005

more info under the materials section

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 2/27/2006

Upcoming events

Western USA
Towards Sustainability: Western Regional Conference and Expo
March 7-9
rce.csuchico.edu/sustainability

National Green Building Conference
March 11-14
nahb.org/meeting

Central USA
9th Green Building/Vehicle  Expo & Workshop
May 26-27
greenconnexion.com

Greening the Heartland 2006: Advancing Sustainable Practices
May 17 - 19
greeningtheheartland.org

Eastern USA
Permaculture for Home and Garden
April 29-30
yestermorrow.org/courses

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 10/22/2006

Green Building Expo was a great and sucessuful event this month.

Next up on my calendar is USGBC's GreenBuild in Denver, Nov  15-17th.

for more info: geenbuildexpo.org/Attendee

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.