movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
349 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
400 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I have read The Owner-Builder Book once already and plan to read this excellent resource again.
Geralyn in Ada, MI

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

delays and disappointments

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Marc's Forum Posts: 107
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marc in Defuniak Springs, FL on 1/8/2006

Last year my friend finished his and his wife's dream home on our lake. They had so many setbacks, contractors fired, hurricanes, sub problems, It was a mess. It took 17 months to finish. During this time the wife and I were getting plans drawn, setting up subs, excavating the lot and doing all the things the first 1000 hours require. I remember thinking that I was going to have no such problems, the subs I had lined up were top notch the ICF contractor visited our home and we felt great about him as well. Everything would go smoothly, we said, our lives are blessed.

WELL, this post is to give all the planners a heads up. ALL will not go smoothly and there will be problems. Concrete trucks get stuck, walls are not plumb, doors not in the right place, people do not pick up after themselves (bad mommy training?) lumber gets wet even when you put someone in charge of covering it, footers fill with water, tools will get stolen and people will lie...

So grand illusions of smooth sailing will most likely not be in your weather pattern. Only keep your chin up and look down the road to the end results and you will make it through. Oddly enough our marriage is holding strongly!!

Even the pooper door gets blocked.....

Reply...

James's Forum Posts: 72

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James in Broadview Heights, OH on 1/8/2006

Easier to move the Jiffy-John than your whole home!

Cheer up, it will get better...

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marc in Defuniak Springs, FL on 1/9/2006

Thanks James

All is good, our Dietrich flooring is in, and the 3/4" T&G will be next.

I started this thread to get some more stories and to let the disillusioned know they were not alone. I remember a post from Phil where his concrete trucks slid down a muddy slope. When mine got stuck, I thought about all us O-Bers and the trials and tribulation we go through, might make a good book (not to outsell Mark's O-B "Bible" of course.)

Reply...

James's Forum Posts: 72

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By James in Broadview Heights, OH on 1/9/2006

Nice photos of the basement... Looks great to see steel joists, concrete walls, and those red oxide painted columns. Super solid and sturdy.

Are you building a hurricane shelter or a home? 

(I know the answer is..... yes!)

Reply...

2006, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Michael's Forum Posts: 181
Interview Answers: 51

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael in Cave Creek, AZ on 1/9/2006

AS O-B's we all have some challenging days.  I think the rewards of ultimately completing a project are very satisfying and can be financially rewarding as well.  As an O-B you get to use your creative skills, management skills, trade work skills, and physical strength to make all aspects of a project come together. Do a halfway decent job and you will have a home you love to live in for one third less than your neighbor's. Keep this in mind on your rough days.

If people don't show: Evaluate what it takes to replace them and do so if it is the right decision for the good of your project. If you elect to self perform a trade where you had a flaky contractor, you get to control the schedule and do the work today instead of manana.  Find people working at job sites (especially late in the day after the motivationally challenged tradespeople have gone home)  in the trades you need and offer money for on the weekend to deal with AWOL subs you hired.

For low quality work. Give the tradesman a chance to explain or correct it. Compare the work to industry standards. If it is below, document, photograph, inspect, and refuse to pay for it.  If the tradesperson still doesn't get it, grab your jackhammer, chainsaw or crowbar and dispatch the work to the dumpster. Find a job site where good work is being done and get those tradespeople to do your work next.

You need to take responsibility for your own actions, inaction and mistakes and learn lessons from each one. If you don't want this responsibility, you should buy a tract house or maybe hire a GC.  With that spirit in mind, don't worry about the little setbacks too much, just learn from them and overcome them and everything will come out fine. Don't ignore little problems or they will become big.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 1/10/2006

Dietrich Trade-Ready - nice choice of joists.  This was my first choice, although I ended up with wood trusses.  Around here, steel work is only commercial so finding subs was going to be more difficult.  If the price point was right, I would have used steel knowing this.

Your also right about the book.  The truth is stranger than fiction, and O-Bs all have stories to tell.  Most of them are completely unbelievable unless you have been through the process.  Your porta-john got blocked, mine got knocked over - I had to cancel the service so they would come pick it up as pretty much no one was willing to use it after that.  My neighbor hired a GC to build his house, he doesn't know the stories he is missing out on (among other things, like at this point an agreement that he could have done a better job managing the project and saved money).

One of my biggest short-term setbacks was dealing in plumbing materials.  We were dealing with a local supplier for all plumbing materials (PEX manifold, PEX supplies, PEX, PEX tools, finish fixtures, tub, whirlpool, etc.) and had just turned in a final list of materials we needed for their final bid and scheduling.  The next day, their warehouse burned all the way to the ground, nothin salvageable.  Their primary focus was on dealing with commitments they already had in the warehouse, parts already sold, etc.  Since we hadn't paid for our parts yet, we no longer had any leverage and they had no interest in our job.  Enter several new suppliers, all of them more expensive than what we had negotiated.  As with anything in project management, you have good, fast, and cheap, and unfortunately you can only get two at a time.  We definitely needed fast, I always like good, cheap fell by the wayside.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marc in Defuniak Springs, FL on 1/10/2006

Kenneth,

One of our first discussion on the forum was over the floors, your advice as I remember was that steel would be better if the price was right. It ended up the dietrich was 2000 cheaper than the LVL's. I am happy with the choice to date. But am holding my breath as to how they feel and sound. Interestingly enough the salesperson said using adhesive was not necessary. However I am using it under the T&G in hopes it helps with lower floor noise. The installers did not line up the chases correctly (you can see in the photo) and will have to remove around 15 and swap ends. But other than that the installation went smooth.

Your reference to the three choices is SO very true.

Looking forward to meeting you guys at the show this weekend. We head over on Thursday..

M

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.