Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Your website is an excellent find.
Jennifer C., Micanopy, FL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

What is Green?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Arne's Forum Posts: 48
Journal Entries: 2
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Arne in Houston, TX on 9/6/2011

There is a lot of emphasis placed on "green" building but for all the hype, there are divergent definitions of what makes something "green".

One may define "green" as design and technologies that reduce the use of energy (electricity, natural gas, water) as well as outflows (solid waste, sewer waste and runoff). Examples of this would be super insulated homes (ICF, SIP, etc), LED or CFL lighting, Low Volume Plumbing Fixtures and solar or wind power to generate electricity. 

Another view of "green" focuses on the use of recycled content in construction and the recyclability of materials when a home or building is demolished in the future. For example, light gauge steel framing is typically is produced with 75% or better recycled content meaning that 75% of the content of framing materials may have had a previous life as a Chevy or Ford. Of course, steel can be recycled again when the home or building is demolished so it rates highly in this category of "green".

Other focus on the renewability of the resource or described another way as how quickly the resource can be reproduced. As an example, Bamboo is highly desirable because of its rapid growth rate, while hardwoods such as oak are not because of the years it takes for new oak trees to reach harvestable size. 

Some take "green" even further by placing importance on the use of low carbon footprint products that produce minimal environmental emissions during manufacturing and ideally locally produced to minimize the use of transportation fuel and generation of transportation emissions.

Where does your philosophy in being "green" lie? 

Reply...

Brian's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Brian in Asheville, NC on 9/27/2011

Thanks Arne! It can be a tough subject for people who are interested in being sustainable. The anti-green movement is growing mainly based on the argument that green is more expensive. 

My vote is for reduced energy use. 40-80% of our country's pollution is from the energy use by our homes and buildings.

Even people who could care less about their environment or community can appreciate saving money on energy bills. By reducing energy costs you are helping the environment and community in the most meaningful way. It can also save one a lot of money.

Some of the other topics you mention are important to bring up but they can be argued either way. For example, I would argue that the slower-growing oak would be a better choice for our area because it's locally produced. Bamboo grows quicker, but it has to be shipped across the world resulting in lots of hidden costs from dirty energy use. Steel studs are recyclable, but they are extremely energy intensive resulting in arguably more pollution than locally sourced lumber.

Reducing energy use is one of the most appropriate things a person can do, socially and fiscally.

Reply...

Arne's Forum Posts: 48
Journal Entries: 2
Interview Answers: 64

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Arne in Houston, TX on 9/27/2011

Brian,

Excellent post. I do agree that reducing energy consumption over the life of the home is a very good way to be green and it is something that people can appreciate every month when they pay their bills.

In my research, it is amazing how much energy reduction can be accomplished by simply improving sealing and insulation, which reduces the heating/cooling requirements. Once that is accomplished, looking at appliances and lighting can take those reductions even further.     

Taking it to the next level, in studying alternative energy systems like solar or wind, the problem is the cost of those systems is often more than the savings if you don't first reduce the load to require a smaller system.  Therefore, being green first requires reducing the demand side before getting creative on the supply side.

Reply...

Semih's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Semih in Houston TX, AL on 11/1/2014

I would rather like to make it more simple; green is all about using 'sustainable' means in constructions. You can called it environmental friendly and affordable at the same time.
Reply...

Jerry's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jerry in Germantown, MD on 12/14/2015

That term is thrown around a lot lately. You could say this or that has a green aspect to it. But if you want to actually count it as a green building I would follow the LEED point system to make your building green. You get a certain amount of points for each element that is sustainable.
Reply...

RoseAlbert's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By RoseAlbert in Charlotte, AL on 4/4/2017

Hi there, Outstanding message. I do agree that minimizing energy usage over the life of the residence is an excellent way to be eco-friendly as well as it is something that people could appreciate on a monthly basis when they pay their costs.<br><br><br><style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
Reply...

Groot's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Groot in Carrollton, AL on 10/31/2017

Nowadays multifamily owners emphasize on green & eco-friendly building concepts. Basically green concept reduces energy consumption, and purifies the environment. People have a myth that green buildings costs more but in actual it saves money as on energy bills. As Brian said "Reducing energy use is one of the most appropriate things a person can do, socially and fiscally." I would thus like to share some green building rising trends for multifamily owners to go with which will allow multifamily investors to save some love for the planet, and at the same time, enhance the value and marketability of their property. 

1. Biodegradable Construction Materials
2. Zero-energy Building
3. Energy Efficient Roofs

Reply...

Joseph's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Joseph on 2/9/2018

It is very important to have an energy efficient home, we can upgrade to energy efficient windows and doors.

Reply...

jps's Forum Posts: 12

Private Message

My Construction Website

jps's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By jps in Indianapolis, AL on 6/7/2018

Hmm..........interesting thanks for changing it.
Reply...

Gabriel's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Gabriel in Mt. Airy, NC on 2/12/2019

The Green Building Council lists materials and a LEED home scorecard
Reply...

Mary's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mary in La Jolla, AL on 3/5/2020

Green building is the practice of creating structures and using processes that are environmentally responsible and resource-efficient throughout a building's life-cycle from siting to design, construction, operation, maintenance, renovation and deconstruction.
Reply...

Guelph Kitchen's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Guelph Kitchen in Guelph, ON on 3/5/2020

I would describe green as being ethical. You should always take part of our environmental responsibilities it may be individual, organization or a company.
Reply...

Hamilton's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Hamilton in Hamilton, ON on 3/5/2020

Yeah that is right! We need to be ethical in any aspect of life. 
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.