851 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
thedaniels Graham, WA
912 Visits | 5 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
Cabin-Addition--Spra... Austin, TX
831 Visits | 1 Posts | 5 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts

Mark - Well, this is a surprise. Does the award go to the wordiest post? If so, I can certainly appreciate why I won!
Glenn M., Golden, CO

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Washer and dryer in master bath?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Ben's Forum Posts: 4
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ben in NORTHEAST, GA on 2/28/2007

We are still in the design stage and had a question I wanted to throw out. I'm considering adding the laundry room to the master bath as I have never seen this done and wanted to know what the cons of this would be? Current design is 1.5 story home on a full basement, any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Our last home we built we put the laundry room in the basement and I said then we would never do this again.
Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 3/1/2007

There are several pros and cons for doing a laundry in the master suite. But don't make it the only laundry in the house. Many up-scale custom homes here in Tucson plan for a washer/dryer stack in the master bath/closet area. And if you browse the fine home building sites for modern plans you will it examples.

If you don't plan for it, it is difficult to do later. Biggest issue usually is noise, followed by poor location.

Reply...

Doug's Forum Posts: 31
Interview Answers: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Doug in Lawrence, KS on 3/2/2007

We are in the finishing stages of a $500,000 spec home and a laundry in the master closet seemed like a perfect fit.  Since we didn't want to chew up too much floor space, we went with a stack unit and added a second laundry upstairs.  We will have a similar setup in our home when we build later this year.  The only difference is, our home won't be a $500,000 home... ; -)

The down side is the lose of floor space, but the convenience more than makes up for it, in our opinion. 

Doug

Reply...

Lauren's Forum Posts: 11

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Lauren in Bedford, VA on 5/5/2007

Doug,

We are in architect stage.  We are putting our only laundry in our master mega-closet, attached to the master bath.  The master closet is also accessed from the main hallway.  It made sense to us because 99% of the laundry is going either into your bathroom or your closet.  But there are 2 big things we considered:

1.  Do you have children who will need lots of laundry?   We don't yet.  But we also made space in the future children's bedroom/bath area for a stackable washer dryer.  That way if we do have kids and it becomes an issue, we will already have the floor space.

2.  Do you have long-staying guests that will need to do laundry in your home?  If so, will those guests feel comfortable doing their laundry in what may be considered a very intimate space?  Our guests are very casual, being mostly family.  Our family-guests won't have any qualms, especially because our laundry is actually in our closet, not our actual bathroom.  (However, if this were a problem, it  is already somewhat addressed by having that space available for the stackables in the children's bedroom/bath area.  While those bedrooms are slated for future children, until then they will be our guest rooms.)

Ask me in another year :)

Lauren

Reply...

Doug's Forum Posts: 31
Interview Answers: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Doug in Lawrence, KS on 5/6/2007

Lauren,

Sounds like you are on the right track, IMHO.  A double laundry is a luxury, but it only costs a few bucks if you plan it from the beginning.   Rough plumbing and a few square feet carved out is a simple task.

About those kids...they'll be here before you know it! : -)

Good luck on the new home and other things...

Doug

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.