bird Springfield, MO
300 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
Drywall-Repair-Lehi
381 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Thank you for picking my Forum tip. I am fairly early in the process, just finishing with the planning. I have taken your advice and planned till I couldn't plan any more. I hope it goes smoothly. The bank was very impressed with the proposal we put together. I also wanted to say how helpful your site has been. Thanks for the great site.
Steve D., Silver Spring, MD

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Value of Energy Efficiency in planning

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 1/10/2006

Let me tell you a story of two houses.  House #1 is fairly well constructed, the house I used to live in (and still own).  It is 2,700 s.f., fairly well-built, however typical stick construction, nothing extraordinary but a good example of what you get if you get quality construction.  It uses natural gas heat, natural gas hot water, and natural gas clothes dryer.  In December 2005 it was vacant, so the only natural gas usage was for heat at a low level (~60-62F), no hot water, and no laundry.

House #2 is ICF, R-50 roof, extremely well built (I like to think, it is my O-B house).  It is 4,000 s.f. within the envelope.  This house has natural gas hot water, natural gas laundry, and natural gas heat, all three were being used since we live there.  The heat is up to 72F during the day, 62F at night.  Given the same billing period and the same environment (both use the same gas utility, so billing periods are the same, they are 20 minutes apart driving through the suburbs), even though this house is 50% larger than house #1 it used over 35% less natural gas than house #1. 

I could install a more efficient furnace into house #1, but since the efficiency already exceeds 80% I only have about 12% reduction in gas possible (going to a 90+), and this in no way accounts for the significant difference in gas usage between the two houses (house #1 uses 50% more fuel than house #2, even at less intensive usage).

This example is why you incorporate energy efficiency into your design and consider it along the way.  I don't have the most efficient HVAC (I could have used geothermal), I don't have the best roof insulation (I have blown cellulose, expanding foam would be better), I don't have argon filled windows (although they are Low-E), however none of this is relevant because I have an extremely efficient and tight envelope.  Energy efficiency is not something you add on along the way, it is something built in from the start of construction.

Given the tax credits for energy efficiency, this spring I plan to bring in a blower door and optimize my new house.  I am confident there is another 10-15% reduction in utility usage simply by optimizing the system.

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 1/17/2006

This is a great example of how quality control and attention to trade-offs works. Not sure if you have tested the ductwork work but making sure the duct work is sealed is almost as important as having the envelope tested for leaks.

Its amazing what a little bit of caulking will do.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Kenneth's Forum Posts: 937
Interview Answers: 181

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kenneth in Lees Summit, MO on 1/17/2006

The only ductwork that is sealed are the exhaust fans and the outside air intake.  The rest of the ductwork is entirely within the envelope (I don't have any HVAC ductwork in the attic for example).  As most of it is still accessible, this is on my springtime projects although I don't expect much here.

I should also add that I don't have energy recovery on my ventilation (ERV or HRV) as I wanted to see how the house operated prior to expending the funding.  An ERV is about $1.7K installed in my area, I want to know that this is a good investment before I purchase it.  I do have ventilation though.  Given the overall energy efficiency, I have other projects that will provide much faster return on investment.

Focus on the building envelope first.  Adding energy efficiency after this is an add-on only, and only has limited results and return on investment.

Reply...

2004, 2005, 2006 Merit Award Winner

John's Forum Posts: 278
Interview Answers: 69

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By John in Erie, CO on 1/17/2006

Ken,

I did put in the HRV, but with our dogs going in and out, I'm not sure it was worth it...  Opening a 3' door every couple of hours, plus usual entry/exit seems fine.  (i.e. we don't really notice if the HRV has been running or not).  We still have it on a periodic timer, but the air always looks the same. :)

Reply...

2007 Merit Award Winner

Dale's Forum Posts: 380
Interview Answers: 59

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dale in Richland, AZ on 1/17/2006

Not sealing every joint causes you to lose control of your air flow. Our local electric company for their "guaranteed certs" requires a ductwork test.

Balancing airflow in every room so that you don't have high and low pressure areas makes a difference. I dislike "undercut" doors because of sound transmission issues, "transfer" ducts make things work great if properly designed.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.