MesaBarnHouse Mesa, AZ
2,568 Visits | 34 Posts | 52 Pix | 0 Videos
Vintage-Oaks-Cabin New Braunfels, TX
1,130 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I have been lurking on this wonderful site for some time. This is a great site!
Troy Hilton

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Using Replacement Windows in New Construction

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Mary's Forum Posts: 101
Journal Entries: 60
Interview Answers: 15

Private Message

Image from Mary's blog

Login to Vote

By Mary in PA on 2/23/2010

There is a surplus building-supply store near me that lists all of their surplus windows, organized by size with notes and store aisle location (Yippee - no sorting through endless stacks of random windows!). After searching their list and talking with them on the phone, it appears that about 90% of their surplus windows are the replacement type instead of new construction. I've made a list of windows I'm going to look at with my preference being for the new construction type. But I'm wondering - is it reasonable to ask a framing crew to install a 'replacement' type window in a new construction project? Or would the extra time and pain of the crew (extra $$$) offset any savings I have in the purchase?
Thanks!
Mary

Reply...

2006, 2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner
Contributing Editor

Michael's Forum Posts: 181
Interview Answers: 51

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Michael in Cave Creek, AZ on 2/23/2010

Hi Mary,

The only difference between a typical replacement window and a new-construction window is that the new-construction window has a nailing flange. The process for installing a window is pretty simple:
flash the opening, set the window in the opening, level it up and put a few nails in the flange. A couple of carpenters can set four to six windows in an hour if there are no problems with the opening. A vinyl new-construction window can be turned into a remodel window by cutting the flange off with a utility knife.

Setting a remodel window into a new window opening can be done. The process is very similar, but takes a few minutes longer.  Flash the opening, drill the frame as needed to accept screws. Level up and shim the window frame as needed. Install screws while keeping the window plumb and level.  Production rate might go down to two or three windows an hour.

If I could get a deal on windows that did not have nailing flanges, I would probably buy them, but first I would double check to make sure that the deal is good. Are they really any cheaper than the same size windows in stock at the local big box or the window supplier the tract home builders buy from? Window prices vary widely depending on performance, features and the mass production versus custom-made factor.

Most parts of the country will have an outlet or warehouse that has big piles of custom windows that were ordered, built, and never installed or returned. If you can customize your openings to match surplus custom windows, you might be able to get house full of windows for less than a thousand dollars.  I have built houses with window packages that range from $1,500 to $5,000. Some of my neighbors have spent close to $50,000 on windows. To me $ 50,000 is one budget window package, plus a new truck and a trip or two to Hawaii.

What is your framer's opinion?

Reply...

Mary's Forum Posts: 101
Journal Entries: 60
Interview Answers: 15

Private Message

Image from Mary's blog

Login to Vote

By Mary in PA on 2/24/2010

Michael, Thanks for the excellent description. It gives me a good rule of thumb for understanding the difference on the job site.

To add a bit more info, we've decided to build the farm shop as the first structure on the property. We looked at and priced pole buildings and then decided to make the jump to a conventionally-framed building instead of a pole. The plan is for Hubby to be using the shop year round for the next 20 yrs or so... so having a quality building we can finish out and heat was a factor. The shop will serve as storage and launching point for the house construction. The windows I'm currently shopping are for the shop rather than the house. I have a good deal of flexibility in size and total number of windows for the shop, and all told there will likely be less than 10. This is why I'm thinking surplus. Some of the surplus windows on my list are Marvins, the others don't list a brand name; so I'll have to check them out. I would never spring for new Marvins on the shop - but if the surplus price is right, we may be able to swing it.

When I start shopping for the house, I would sure love to get savings on the windows but I'm not sure how flexible I could be in the size, type of glass and such due to the house being a classic farmhouse style. Also, I'll be more picky about getting the type of glazing I want for a south vs. east/west window.

We don't have a framer selected for the shop yet, so I can't ask for any opinions yet. But if it turns out to be a problem for them (i.e. $$$ to install), I'm pretty sure the Hubby and I could manage the window install. In truth, I like the idea of us doing it to make darn sure the flashing is done with care.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply...

2009, 2010 Merit Award Winner

Jeff's Forum Posts: 74
Journal Entries: 20
Interview Answers: 250

Private Message

My Construction Website

Image from Jeff's blog

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Hartland, WI on 2/25/2010

Hi Mary,

Although the only difference between the new and replacement windows is the nailing flange, it's a pretty important difference. The windows need to be installed pretty precisely: 1/2 inch proud of the interior framing so that drywall will be flush to the jambs. Framers can install a houseful of windows in a day. And they can get reasonably precise with the nailing flanges. Since that's what they are used to doing, I'd worry that they'd be much less precise with replacement windows. And that lack of precision could cost you time when the finish carpenters come in.

In terms of doing it yourself, it's certainly not rocket science. Make sure everything is level and plumb, in the right location, and securely attached. But remember that the windows can get pretty heavy, especially if you have several mulled together into a single unit. Also, remember that window installation is on the critical path: your interior mechanical work (HVAC, plumbing, electrical) generally require rough framing to be done, the roof to be on, and the windows to be in place before they can start. As long as you're talking about the shop, you're probably okay.  Just some things to keep in mind.

Jeff

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.