movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
353 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I never win anything! What a treat - thank you. I will have to go back to your site now and see if there were any follow-ups on that thread.
Kathy L., Hanover NM

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

UBuildIt bound?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Ellen's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ellen in Warsaw, IN on 12/21/2007

I am planning to build a house within the next several months.  I started with a potential contractor who came in with a REALLY HIGH estimate for the cost of the project.  So I turned that down, and contacted UBuildIt. 

I met with them twice, paid an initial fee of $940 and signed an agreement.  It was decided at that time that we would plan on starting the build in the spring.  So I spent some time online doing research to find the most economical way to build the house I want.  During that time, I found The Owner-Builder Book.  With some guidance from a very willing and knowledgeable neighbor, I think I can do the job without UBuildIt.

Does anyone know if I am legally bound to stay with UBuildIt for the duration of the project?  I am not unhappy with the people there at all, but I could save at least $11,000 if I can go without them.  By getting my own subcontractors and materials, I think I can do better without them.

Since this is my first contact with you, I will certainly appreciate any information you can give me.

Reply...

2006, 2007 Merit Award Winner

Jon's Forum Posts: 219
Journal Entries: 1
Interview Answers: 2

Private Message

Jon's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jon in Ellicott City, MD on 12/21/2007

What does the signed agreement say?  That's what defines what you're legally bound to. 

Reply...

Ellen's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ellen in Warsaw, IN on 12/21/2007

Thanks, Jon.

I think I'm probably legally bound, but I was hoping to find somebody who had chosen to discontinue the transaction.

The problem is going to be the amount of my loan.  It will not be enough to build the house I want with UBuildIt without making some rather drastic changes to the plan.

With my lack of experience in building, I've done a few things backwards, or at least out of order.

I have the money for the build in my account now.  I own the property now, and the old house that will be torn down for the rebuild.  I also have all the plans for the house I want, due to the work done through the original contractor who priced himself out of the market.  He had done quite a lot of work on the project and I paid him well for his time to that point.

The amount of money I have is all there will be, other than what I can add to it with my regular income.

I'm not willing to make the drastic changes to the plans in order to complete the build with UBuildIt subs and vendors.  After doing a few hours of research, I've already found several places to buy materials that are much better priced.  I really believe that without them involved I'll have sufficient money to build my "dream house".

Sure wish I'd found this book before I signed with them.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.