349 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
400 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Jeff and Mark: You guys, and everyone else who makes your website possible do a
great job!  Thanks for putting it together.
Commander David W., USN

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Tip - Get Your Power Turned on Early

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Alvin's Forum Posts: 30

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Alvin in FL on 6/10/2006

I am not sure if you can do this everywhere, but here in Volusia County Florida you can apply for a pre-power hookup and get your electricity turned on long before finishing your house and getting your CO. You have to have your electrical mostly completed and pass inspection. The County will then notify the power company and they will come out and install a meter and turn the power on. You have to give reasons why you need the power early on the application, but acclimating your cabinets and flooring will do. Not many people know about this.

As soon as I got my drywall up and finished, I immediately painted everything and finished out the electrical before doing anything else. I am now finishing out the rest of my house in the comfort of AIR CONDITIONING and with lots of LIGHTS! What a big difference this makes in Florida in June. No more sweating and no more mosquitoes. I live on a dirt road and with our drought, it has been very dusty. The house was filling up with dust with the windows and doors open. I can now work late at night without swarms of mosquitoes and no-see-ums biting me.

As a side note, I built my house with ICF. It is amazing how well it cools down and holds the temp. Yesterday it was 95 degrees and I had the ac set at 75 degrees while I was working. I started getting cold so at 5 pm, I set the thermostat to 78 degrees. At 7 pm, the inside temp had only raised 1 degree to 76 degrees. At 9 pm, I turned off the ac and left. This morning, the inside temp is still 78 degrees. I am very pleased with this and foresee very low power bills. The humidity level is staying around 50%, which is good as well.

The house is also very quiet with the windows and doors closed up. I now have to pay close attention as I can no longer hear the big delivery trucks when they arrive.

Reply...

Reidun's Forum Posts: 2
Interview Answers: 29

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Reidun in Houston, TX on 6/10/2006

This is my first post, still in the planning stage...I have looked at all your posts and your construction website and did not see how you insulated your roof...we are looking at ICF and SIPs, but are not sure what to do with the roof.  The climate will be hot (not as humid as Florida) most of the year in TX Hill Country.  SIPs roof seem great if you want the vaulted ceilings, but it is not my favorite look or feel.  Thanks for any insight into this.
Reply...

Marc's Forum Posts: 107
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Marc in Defuniak Springs, FL on 6/11/2006

Alvin,

We passed our mechanical, and I too was told about the electrical inspection. The only other thing I need in my County is to have the Health inspector sign off on his permit. There is nothing to that since I have my septic already installed, but it does include a water run off plan to be complete, i.e. gutters installed. As you can see by the picture, that is still on the short list.

On another note, I have not seen any pictures on your site since the chimney. Get on the ball and keep us updated. Of course I am just kidding, it really is hard to find the time to do it all HUH?

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Alvin in FL on 6/11/2006

I have been so busy building the house that I got lazy about updating my website. I have hundreds of pictures that I need to go through and post. I am finishing up the flooring now and all that is left is sinks, toilets, countertops, and interior trim. Hopefully I will be done in 3-4 weeks.

The metal can be screwed down directly over the tarpaper or on 1x4 stripping spaced 2 feet apart. The stripping is the better way as you get all of the strips attached directly into the trusses for better strength and support. Then you screw the metal into the 1x4 strips which again gives much better strength and support than screwing directly into the plywood which is no where near as strong as the trusses and 1x4 strips. The strips also add significant strength to the whole structure of the house since all of the trusses are now tied together multiple times by all of the strips.

The stripping also gives you an additional 3/4" of airspace between the metal and the tarpaper which is additional insulation. We went even farther and chose to place 3/4" thick R8 reflective insulation panels between the stripping which greatly adds to the total insulation of the house. R30 cellulose insulation was sprayed into the attic areas underneath. The insulation panels also serve as an additional sound barrier to muffle the sounds of heavy rain or acorns and things hitting the metal roof.

The pictures below show the stripping over the tarpaper and the insulation panels between the 1x4 strips.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Alvin in FL on 6/11/2006

Here is an updated pic of the house.
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.