movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
370 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
421 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

Absolutely incredible. Thank you all so much for your perspective and advice. I can't even begin to explain how grateful I am. You have helped me tremendously!
Many thanks.
Ian Lilkendey

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

ThermoBuilt

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Rod's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Rod in ocala, FL on 8/12/2016

I am new to your site so hi to all. I have been reading and learning from your site and have a few questions. I have had an architect draw a set of plans for a single-story residence to be constructed out of concrete block in Ocala, Florida. The residence is 1,971 sq. ft. under air with a two-car garage, porch 183 sq. ft. and covered porch 280 sq. ft. Total sq. ft. under roof: 3,002. 

I became interested in SIPs and then thermobuilt.com which is slightly different than an SIP in that the EPS encapsulates the pressure-treated wood. I like their product because one person can lift their panels and put them in place. Each pane is 2'x9'x7.5". I like their system as I am planning on being the owner-builder with help only when I need it. The roof system is part of the package and needs no crane. I am being quoted roughly $42K for all panels including roof panels for a complete shell MINUS windows/doors/interior framing for plumbing. My question is simple: if I proceeded with block (CBU) am I not coming out cheaper as my block cost is roughly $11K and 6:12 truss system roughly $7K. Granted I still have to frame the interior which I would have to do any way with the ThermoBuilt and I will also still have to ply the roof for metal roofing which I am planning on using at this time. The only cost missing is insulation. Is it possible interior and exterior insulation will cost me another $24K or am I missing something????

Rod

Reply...

jeff's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

My Construction Website

jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By jeff in Grove City, PA on 10/20/2018

I recently posted to: 

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/question/product-thoughts

On that site I also posted Pics, I build this system and the pics are also of a home my wife and I currently live in.

There are many reasons why I utilize this system. 

The # 1 reason is As I hire sub's to frame and other trades, I can use any frames any where. I also work with 1st time owner builders and they grasp it quickly.

The very best part is the ease of dealing with local building inspectors. 

Contact me if  have questions, I really like this system and the art of building efficiently! 

JK

Reply...

Jim's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim on 1/9/2019

Removed
Reply...

Thomas's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Thomas on 8/15/2019

Hello Jeff:  I have read of your experience using the system from Thermobuilt.  I would be interested in any insights you can give me regarding the deep roof I-beams that are used in place of engineered trusses.  How do they connect at the top ridge?  How do you get the I-beams in place, and how are they connected at the ridge?  The wall system appears rather easy to deal with when using conventionally experienced framer subs.  However, the roof system is quite different.  It is appealing for its insulation value and "automatic" creation of a vaulted ceiling.  It's construction technique is quite different, and is a concern for getting it right.     Thanks,  Tom K.

Reply...

jeff's Forum Posts: 2

Private Message

My Construction Website

jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By jeff in Grove City, PA on 11/9/2019

Tom,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

The Rafters are hung at a ridge beam using an pre-determined structural hanger.  What is used depends on where you building and the requirements of the roof in general.  ThermoBuilt designed mine and they can do the same for you.

As an experienced contractor, I think their system very easy to work with.  I like the full scope of the whole house engineering.

In the past I built mostly conventional “Stick built” and panelized construction, and insulated them conventionally.  Most like anyone else, I researched online for system and methods for easy to build energy efficient buildings.  After building my home with ThermoBuilt,  it wouldn’t feel right to go back to older conventional ways of building.

Full disclosure, when I wrote my original post, I had only my experience with my home.  Since then, I’ve worked with some of their other customers in an advisory / consultant both  in the pre-construction stages as well as  on-site.  I now work with ThermoBuilt as an independent contractor, which has given me allows me to help many other contractors, framers and owner builders across the country.  I help answer their questions, and while on site I help get projects started quickly. By going over the blue prints with the framers / homeowner builder / contractors for the shell. 

I enjoy working onsite giving instruction and guidance to this type of building.  It’s a straight forward and easy to build system with, but like anything, experience counts.  I bridge that gap to help speed up the start of a  first build project by eliminating learning curves. I also enjoy lending my experience to electricians and HVAC install folks and specifiers as well.

If you are ready to go and need advices the folks at ThermoBuilt are great to work with and will help. 

If you need help deciding, you can certainly contact me for an independent opinion.  If you do decide on the ThermoBuilt System, I’m available and ready independently for onsite help during your build.

Good Luck with your future builds!

Let me know if I can help Tom.

JK

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.