movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
353 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
403 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

This is a GREAT site...I am soooo pleased I stumbled on it!
Trevor in Bonaire, GA

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

The Chicken or the Egg?

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Ric's Forum Posts: 65
Interview Answers: 9

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ric in North Bend, WA on 6/4/2009

Yeah, this is kind of a chicken-or-the-egg-type question.

I'm rapidly nearing drywall (about two weeks out now), and I'm starting to plan on the trim. Then the question came up: Do you do the hardwood floors first, or the baseboards?

I can make an argument for either way.
I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Reply...

Faye's Forum Posts: 286
Interview Answers: 140

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 6/5/2009

With carpet you do trim first, but with hardwood you do floor first. 
Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ric in North Bend, WA on 6/5/2009

Thanks Faye!

That's the answer I've been coming up with too.
At this point, my plan for the interior (in order) is:

Plane & butt-strip
Insulation
Drywall
Paint
Hardwood
Tile
Cabinets
Trim & doors
Carpets

I probably left a few items out, but that's the general plan.
Does that look right?

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 6/6/2009

Ric,

That's pretty much right. You did forget countertops, appliances, sinks, toilets, and electrical fixtures, though. I am just finishing up the paint and am starting my stone fireplaces tomorrow - wish me luck! Here's a photo of the last (and most difficult) wall.

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ric in North Bend, WA on 6/6/2009

The room in that picture is huge! Not sure I'd have wanted to paint that ceiling! I don't mind painting, but ceilings suck! lol Stone Fireplace huh? Good Luck!!

I have three fireplaces to trim out, but I'm doing wood mantels, with granite tile surrounds (to match the kitchen). I'm not anticipating any real challenges there. With the framing, & all rough-ins done, and siding now on, from the outside it's starting to look like a house now.

Unfortunately, the inside is still open studs. Lots to do there yet. I'm seeing my September target sliding... We hit a lot of delays in the early part of construction with weather problems. But my construction loan deadline is November, so we HAVE to be in by then.

So, a sanity check here, as I'm trying to get the interior scheduling worked out. I really should have done a blog. I just never got to it.

Plane & butt-strip   (Done)
Install Fireplaces    (Scheduled for Monday)
Insulation               (will start on 6/11, finish on 6/15)
Drywall                  (Scheduled to start on 6/18)
Paint
Hardwood
Tile
Cabinets
Countertops
Electrical Fixtures
Appliances
Trim & doors
Sinks
Toilets
Carpets

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 6/6/2009

Ric,

That is the pool room and the toughest part was setting up all the scaffolding above the swimming pool.  My loan deadline is in two weeks and there is NO WAY lol! However, my bank has been great and I don't see any problems getting an extension.  I did a central vacuum, specialty wiring for TV's, and added a lot of blocking for cabinets, etc.  So my walls were open for much longer than I anticipated.  This is hubby's busy season at work and we are doing pretty much everything ourselves, so it is taking us much longer than I'd like.

One thing you will be surprised by is the clean-up after drywall.  It's a nightmare! Get those special fine particle bags for your shop vac. It took me about 40 hours just to clean up all the dust in the house. If you are doing your own painting, you may want to invest in a good sprayer. I bought the Graco at Home Depot. It was the $400 model. It worked great, and it's very easy to clean it out. I think it was really great for the priming. After priming, we sprayed the ceilings and let them dry. Then we taped off the edges of the ceiling and sprayed the walls.

Are you doing all the work yourself or will you have subs?

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Ric in North Bend, WA on 6/7/2009

I'd forgotten you had built an indoor pool! NICE!!! Good luck with the loan company! I'm still hopeful of making my date. But I have a LONG way to go yet!

Yeah, we'll be doing most of the interior ourselves. So, there's plenty of work to do. I've heard that drywall can be messy. I'm not looking forward to it. We went through a rough clean-up once already. We broke ground in December (a really bad idea in the Greater Seattle Area, especially up in the mountains where we're building. The build started okay, but then we got hit with everything imaginable. The house was nearly framed, and we got 2' of snow, followed by a fast warm up, and lots & lots of rain. The lot was nothing but mud, and the ground floor of the house has about 2" of standing water on it for a few weeks. That was of course compounded by the framers trudging in & out dragging all the mud with them. We are still trying to get rid of all of THAT!)

We're finally getting on top of that, and the floors are dry (weather has been in the 80's lately), so things are all dried out now, but there is still a fair amount of dust in the floors as a reminder. I sweep & vacuum nearly every week-end. The drywaller is "supposed" to clean up behind himself. We'll see how that turns out.

Following that, I'll be doing most of the rest. I'll be looking for a paint sprayer, so I'll check out the one you mentioned. My painting strategy is much like yours. Spray the ceilings first. My wife wants to use rollers on the walls. I want to spray them, then back roll them after that. It will still leave the rolled texture, but be a lot faster & easier.

Reply...

Private Message

My Construction Website

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Faye in Marseilles, IL on 6/10/2009

Good luck with the drywallers -- unfortunately we did most of the drywall so we

also had to clean up! LOL.  Even if they do clean up, it is still very hard to get it 
all out of every nook and cranny. Sounds like you've had a rough time, hopefully
it will get better with summer here. I also rolled the first 6' or so (what I could reach)
and hubby did the high parts with the sprayer. I found out good paint makes a huge 
difference. I had bought some sale paint at Menards and thought I'd use it on the kids
bedrooms because I'll probably be repainting in a couple years anyway. I used 
Sherwin Williams on the rest of the house. I was shocked in the difference!  First of
all, it wasn't cheaper because the sale paint had 1/2 the coverage. It also was so 
thick it barely went through the sprayer. It was also harder to use with a brush or 
roller. I LOVE to save $ but it wasn't worth it and I really didn't save. I also found
a coupon for SW online at their website that they let me keep reusing with every 
purchase. They also have a great color visualizer online to help pick out your 
colors. 

Your location sounds beautiful -- what style of home are you building? I'll bet 
the views are killer! Post a picture if you can -- I'd love to see it.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.