DCS
418 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
g4wowgwow
467 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
My1stOB Melbourne, FL
626 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

On our last house we made a lot of quick decisions based on cost that we ended up regretting and not completely getting the quality of house we wanted. Was VERY happy to get The Owner-Builder Book this weekend that stresses the planning process and has so many good ideas to do the planning part of this right.
Jerry in Gulf Breeze, FL

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Sq.ft cost in central CA/Fresno

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Wayne's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Wayne in Fresno, CA on 4/11/2004

Anyone who has owner built nearby care to share aprox. sq. ft. cost. from their experience? I would greatly appreciate it. Thankyou
Reply...

Denise's Forum Posts: 30

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Denise in Elk Grove, CA on 4/13/2004

Hi Wayne, we are going to be building in Sacto I think it will be about $100 per sq.ft. At least I'm hoping it will be. I can't believe how much home prices have come up in Fresno. Last year we sold our rental home to my sister in law for $130,000. Yesterday she put it on the market for 204,000. The first person who looked at it offered her $205,000 and this was a rental home. Still can't believe it. Good luck!
Reply...

Glenn's Forum Posts: 14

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Glenn in CO on 6/4/2004

I cannot speak to central CA prices, but here in CO, you're doing well if you can keep it under $150/sq. ft, for a house with quality stuff. Prices for materials have gone through the roof during the last year (everyone is blaming China and Iraq), and subs have raised their prices, too. My new home, 1400 sq feet, 600 sq ft of redwood deck, metal roof, hardwood floors, looks like it will come it right at $148 per foot. I am using some premium materials and fixtures, but I cannot see how I would have been able to keep it below $120/ft, even if I used very basic stuff.
Reply...

Johnnie's Forum Posts: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Johnnie in Kerman, CA on 7/3/2004

Wayne, Am wondering if you have started building yet and how much it cost a sq foot. We live in Fresno county and are also in the process of building as an owner/builder
Reply...

Wayne's Forum Posts: 12

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Wayne in Fresno, CA on 7/28/2004

Just aquired land and am waiting on plans. What can I do for you? I already met Ken from Squaw Valley and helped him frame his house.

This forum has been a good tool for me.

Thanx,

Wayne

Reply...

Bob's Forum Posts: 4
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bob in Clovis, CA on 9/5/2006

Hello,

I see your post was dated in 2004. Did you build O-B? When did you finish? How long did it take? What was your final per sf?

Bob in Fresno

Reply...

Enrique's Forum Posts: 8
Interview Answers: 22

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Enrique in Dinuba, CA on 12/12/2006

Bob,

Have you started building in the Fresno area?  If so what prices have you seen per sq ft?  I hope to build in Dinuba this time next year. 

ET

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bob in Clovis, CA on 12/12/2006

Hi,

We have just this week submitted our plans to Fresno county for plan check. We are now starting to get bids. We'll keep you posted if you would like.

Bob

Reply...

Enrique's Forum Posts: 8
Interview Answers: 22

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Enrique in Dinuba, CA on 12/13/2006

Bob,

Yes please if you wouldn't mind.  We are still in the planning phase.  It would be nice to have someone else's experiences to compare notes with.

Thanks

Enrique

Reply...

Dave's Forum Posts: 16
Interview Answers: 54

Private Message

Dave's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dave in Coarsegold, CA on 2/6/2007

Hi Bob,

How is the permitting going?  We'll hopefully be submitting to Madera County ourselves by the end of the month depending on whether our engineering and drafting hits any more snags.  I've heard that Fresno and Madera counties are similar, so it would be interesting to know how fast they are right now.

Any info on subs you can provide would be very appreciated.  What type of construction are you planning?

Thanks, and good luck with your project.

Dave

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bob in Clovis, CA on 2/6/2007

Hi,

Well, we submitted the plans to the county on December 2. Their stated completion date was to be Jan 8. We actually got the first plan check back on Jan 22. Since then we've had the designer make the corrections to the plans and we've been gathering the additional things we have to do... septic test, well drilled, various covenants with the county that are required for our particular situation, paying fees.... fees... fees. Everything costs.

Hopefully Madera County will not be quite as bad. I know that years ago (20+ years) Madera County was pretty easy to work with on plans and building (when I worked for a contractor). But today may be different.

I have met with a couple of general contractors, but we're still hoping to owner-build ourselves.

Good Luck.

Bob

Reply...

Steven's Forum Posts: 14
Journal Entries: 4
Interview Answers: 21

Private Message

Image from Steven's blog

Login to Vote

By Steven in Sun City, CA on 3/24/2007

Bob,

Just read your latest post, it's been a month and a half (goes by quick doesn't it?) Just was curious about your well costs. We punched ours one and a half years ago in Riverside County. We are remote at 4,000' elev. I mention this because most companies wouldn't even come and give an estimate. They hit water at 247' (5 GPM), went for a second source to 420'... didn't hit a second source. $24 per ft. + $31 per ft for the 8" steel casing, (64'). about $12K for a hole in the ground! This did not include any equipment. The equipment was another $8K, (internet). Carolyn and myself lowered the pump and wiring etc down to 300'. Piece of cake (I was dreading it, too).

Let us hear back from you.

Steve and Carolyn

Reply...

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Bob in Clovis, CA on 3/25/2007

We more fortunate than you regarding depth of well. First water at 90'. They kept going; got 25 gpm at about 140'. We kept going to 200'. Didn't get any more water, but that should be a comfortable amount of water. Total cost was about $9,000 just for well. What company on Internet provided your pump? It was easy?

As I said earlier, we put in our plans for plan check on 12/7. I went into the county office last Friday. They had lost the well report (filed with them on Jan 22). So had to give another copy to them. They said to call on Tuesday next week. So MAYBE we get a permit on March 27. It will have been since 12/2/05 (note the year) since we started the paperwork with the county to get permission (on our own land, mind you) to build a second residence on the 20 acres (my son is already here) and get drawings and a building permit... 15+ months.

Good luck.

Bob and Sandi

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Steven's blog

Login to Vote

By Steven in Sun City, CA on 3/25/2007

Bob and Sandi, thanks for the reply.

You asked about internet supplies. It was VERY easy. I ordered most of my stuff from pumpsandtanks.com 

If you go to their website you can click on all of the links. Check out the forums too. I spent some time there, mostly learning. Bob owns the outfit, (I think), and used to do it all. Very helpful!!! I do not like to shop. It's okay when I shop online, because I am not rushed and don't have to travel.

In our area, there is not much to choose from from well equip. Maybe there is more in your area.

Another site I frequented was watertanks.com.

And another was deanbennett.com - I got my wiring and a few other things here. They are in Colorado. The submersible wiring was a third of what it costs here local. even with shipping!!!

Hope all of this helps you and yours!!!

Pray for city hall... they need it!

Reply...

Kristi's Forum Posts: 6

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Kristi in Temecula, CA on 3/27/2007

Steven,

I'm in Riverside County (French Valley near Temecula) and we have an old well at our place. We're going to dig another.  Which well contractor did you use? I'd appreciate it.  Thanks. Kristi Roberts

Reply...

Private Message

Image from Steven's blog

Login to Vote

By Steven in Sun City, CA on 3/28/2007

Hi Kristi,

French Valley. I remember going through there 25 years ago, on my way to Lake Skinner. We thought this would be a nice place to live, but it's sooooo far from anything... it's growing now!

We used L.O. Lynch - they are in San Jacinto, they are in the phonebook. The owner's son did the drilling. We called half a dozen others, but none would come to Twin Pines.

Riverside County has a roster of certified drillers. I think you can access it online, you could two years ago.

Often, there are ways to improve an existing well, (if that is something you are interested in.) Lynch can tell you more about those... hope that has been of help... be safe on the 79.

Reply...

Dave's Forum Posts: 16
Interview Answers: 54

Private Message

Dave's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Dave in Coarsegold, CA on 7/10/2007

Just an update (5 months later) on the permitting. We finally got our permits yesterday and are gearing up to start construction. For the most part, Madera County was pretty easy to work with, although they required MANY corrections to our plans.  Part of that was probably because we used a draftsman from outside the county who didn't really know what they were looking for. Our first submittal was on April 4 and we got everything back in about a month. That was quite a bit faster than they said it would be. After making corrections and having changes reengineered we resubmitted on June 25th and they had everything rechecked within a week. In the meantime, I had gone in to go over some of the department corrections with each department which was a good experience overall. The staff was very helpful and helped me work out some of the issues we had.

We were lucky that we got the process started just in time to avoid some serious hikes in fees. The county added a new $4,200 fee for new unincorporated homes in May and raised all of their other fees starting this month. And for those interested, school fees are currently $2.65 per square foot. We have several friends who are not as far along in the process and will unfortunately have to budget quite a bit more for permitting.

Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2018 Consensus Group Inc.