movers-and-packers Hyderabad, AL
351 Visits | 1 Posts | 1 Pix | 0 Videos
Investment-Propertie... Rochester, MN
402 Visits | 1 Posts | 0 Pix | 0 Videos
See all journals...

Current Top-Rated Posters

RatingPosts
Lance in Buena Vista, CO0.002

I'm so glad that I read The Owner-Builder Book before I started all this - every single thing I've experienced I've expected ahead of time - I read it in the book.
Barry in Gilbert, AZ

Try one of our new Construction Bargain Strategies for free. Coupon code: CBS. One strategy could save you $1,000 or $10,000 or maybe $50,000 when you build or remodel.
25,000 pages of free owner-builder resources.  We accept no ads.

Sample budgets & budget calculator

Filter by date: and/or Keyword

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Jeremiah's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeremiah in Lehi, UT on 7/19/2005

I have a budget spreadsheet & calculator tool that I am posting up in hopes that it will be useful to others. I made it to help my dad with a budget for two spec homes that he is building. I took five detailed real budgets (some with actual numbers as well, or with just actuals) and organized them so that they could be compared one with another. I then used the percentages for each line item from each budget to make a calculator that allows you to enter in your total home budget and then see from each of the five home budgets how much would have been spent for each item if their total build cost would have been the cost that was entered. It then calculates the average for each category, which will give a good idea for a starting budget, and has a column where you can customize your own budget while comparing it to others.

There is a readme page that has more details about what is included in the workbook that might be worth looking over if you would like to understand more about what I have done.

I hope that this will be of use to others, I feel it will be a valuable tool to those who are looking to come up with a starting budget and then begin customizing it. Please post here (or PM me) with any questions that you may have and also let me know if you find it to be useful.

~Jeremiah

Reply...

Editor

Jeff's Forum Posts: 149
Interview Answers: 212

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 7/19/2005

Sorry about all of the problems with getting this file uploaded.  Hopefully we have the problem solved now.

Thanks,

Reply...

2005 Merit Award Winner

Jim's Forum Posts: 90
Interview Answers: 63

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jim in Austin, TX on 7/20/2005

Jeremiah,

I looked at your budget spreadsheet and could not find what size each house was. Can you give us an update for price per square foot comparisons?

Would be great to see the difference.

thanks,

Jim Gobel

Reply...

Jeremiah's Forum Posts: 3

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeremiah in Lehi, UT on 7/20/2005

Jim,

I have put a note for each home in the top cell of the column for each home.  If you look on the spreadsheet you will see a small red triangle in the top cell of each column, this indicates that there is a note.  Put your mouse of that cell and the house information will be shown.  I will include it here as well.

Bret-Sandy: 3,400 sq ft rambler built in Sandy, UT with a fully finished basement (with apartment).

Bret-PG: 3,000 sq ft rambler built in Pleasant Grove, UT (see note on spreadsheet for more info).

Norton: 2,000 sq ft (per level) rambler built in Lehi, UT (see note on spreadsheet for more info)

Riverbottoms house: home built by author of The Owner-Builder Book (3,500 sq ft on two levels with a crawlspace)

Lewis home: house highlighted on OBB website, 5,500 sq ft.

~Jeremiah

Reply...

Editor

Jeff's Forum Posts: 149
Interview Answers: 212

Private Message

Jeff's Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Jeff in Provo, UT on 7/20/2005

The Lewis home is about 5,600 sf total with the basement about 1,700 sf not being finished:

More info: UtahHomes.com

Reply...

Editor

Mark's Forum Posts: 153
Interview Answers: 248

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Mark in Provo, UT on 7/20/2005

The Norton home is a 2,000 sf ranch-style house with an equal sized (originally) unfinished basement.

The Riverbottoms house is a 3,500 sf two-story.

Reply...

Cassandra's Forum Posts: 8

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Cassandra in Seymour, MO on 8/7/2005

Here is a copy of what the start of my budget will look like, just the categories-not the figures (yet). I took information from a local builder and have been changing it as it is needed. As an owner-builder I don't know yet if there is anything I am missing. But at least it is a start!
Reply...

Andrew's Forum Posts: 55

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Andrew in Corpus Christi, TX on 8/7/2005

Here is a copy of what I have been working on. It's not yet finished but thought I'd pass it along for anyone interested. As I have the time and get it completed I will upload it again. At present it is a work in progress. I have tried to set it up with a worksheet for each catagory linking to a summary page. At present only one worksheet is fully linked. I also plan on having sheets to enter material and labor costs so that I can include lookups to retrieve that data. Please feel free to improve this workbook or suggest changes that would make it better.

Reply...

Sharon's Forum Posts: 14
Interview Answers: 1

Private Message

Randomly Selected Image

Login to Vote

By Sharon in Nine Mile Falls, WA on 8/18/2005

Here's a copy of our budget sheet. We just completed our home about two months ago, it's a two story with 2,300 sq ft above grade (3,300 sq ft including unfinished basement).  Some categories we were way under in and some way over but it pretty much equaled out in the end, we went over budget about $3K, mainly because we decided to pay somebody to paint the exterior, instead of doing it ourselves like we originally had planned!
Reply...

Reply... Subscribe to this topic

Copyright 1997-2020 Consensus Group Inc.